Adrian Lam addresses Jacob Miller links and his successor as Wigan head coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam addresses Jacob Miller links and his successor as Wigan head coach

Post by josie andrews »

The Warriors head coach was asked about talk he could be succeeded by current assistant Matty Peet.

Adrian Lam has admitted any of his three assistant coaches could potentially step up and coach a Super League club in the future amidst continued speculation one of them could be set to succeed him as the next head coach of Wigan Warriors.

Matty Peet has long been linked with the role ever since it became clear Lam would not be continuing with the club beyond this season. Wigan owner Ian Lenagan admitted recently that Peet was one of the options that the club were considering to take over from Lam.

And the existing Wigan coach said that while he will leave any decision solely up to the club, any of Peet, John Winder or Warriors great Sean O'Loughlin could potentially coach the club in the future.

"What I've been really proud of here is the staff that have been working with me," he said.

I've got 11 staff as we speak and they've all been outstanding and they'd all do a great job in any role.

"Matty, John and Sean could all coach a Super League club in their own time. I've been proud of them and if that's an option for the club, so be it. They'll decide and settle on that in the near future."

Lam also addressed speculation linking Wigan with a play for Wakefield half-back Jacob Miller. The Australian remains under contract at Trinity next season, meaning any move would be subject to a transfer fee, but Lam appeared to play that talk down on Wednesday.

"Our club is always linked with players and this is no different," Lam said. "If there's anything to add as time goes on we'll say something but there's been no movement on my side or the club's side regarding that."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-21514585
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ipinwigan

Re: Adrian Lam addresses Jacob Miller links and his successor as Wigan head coach

Post by Ipinwigan »

Well if Matty Peet is appointed, then this shows the complete lack of ambition at the club.
Also, we should be going for Mason Lino, not Jacob Miller, he also brings a good kicking game, which we are completely lacking.
It's time for a complete change and show some ambition.
Caboosegg

Re: Adrian Lam addresses Jacob Miller links and his successor as Wigan head coach

Post by Caboosegg »

Ipinwigan wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:36 pm Well if Matty Peet is appointed, then this shows the complete lack of ambition at the club.
Also, we should be going for Mason Lino, not Jacob Miller, he also brings a good kicking game, which we are completely lacking.
Why does it show a lack of ambition? Did Wane taking over from Maguire show the same?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Ipinwigan wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:36 pm Well if Matty Peet is appointed, then this shows the complete lack of ambition at the club.
Why does it show a lack of ambition? Did Wane taking over from Maguire show the same?
Because unlike Maguire who had sever seasons under Bellamy and also took charge of the first team regularly at Melbourne as well as being in line for the job at Brisbane and unlike Wane who was under Maguire, Peet has been assistant to Lam and so is associated with the current shambles.

Ask yourself these questions, would any of our rivals like Warrington, Saints, Leeds or Hull appoint Peet based on the fact he’s been assistant at Wigan and what do you think their fans reaction would be if they did?

The obvious answers are no they wouldn’t and their fans would go ballistic.

There is absolutely no way if Wolfe left Saints to take on the Tigers in the NRL Saints would try and get Peet so if any potential Wigan appointment be it coach or player would be if no interest to our rivals they shouldn’t be of any interest to us either.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:26 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
Because unlike Maguire who had sever seasons under Bellamy and also took charge of the first team regularly at Melbourne as well as being in line for the job at Brisbane and unlike Wane who was under Maguire, Peet has been assistant to Lam and so is associated with the current shambles.

Ask yourself these questions, would any of our rivals like Warrington, Saints, Leeds or Hull appoint Peet based on the fact he’s been assistant at Wigan and what do you think their fans reaction would be if they did?

There is absolutely no way if Wolfe left Saints to take on the Tigers in the NRL Saints would try and get Peet so if any potential Wigan appointment be it coach or player would be if no interest to our rivals they shouldn’t be of any interest to us either.
Leeds appointed Agar, Hull appointed a unknown in Hodgson, Saints did appoint cunningham( although it went bad). Leeds also appointed furner who did amazing.

I imagine any of the clubs would look at the potential recruits available and made choice of who they think is best.

But I forget regardless of actual experience if the are an aussie assistant it automatically makes them a better choice as they will fully revitalise the team and wigan because Maguire did it once...

Furner/Lam/Hodgson
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've got a lot of time for Hodgson. I'd give him a while before I started bracketing him with Lam.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 pm
I understand fans thinking we lack ambition if we promote within. They’ve been working under Lam and you get the feeling they will just follow suit.
I’m not a fan of it either as I think a fresh face who’s had nothing to do with the club would be a better choice.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

What it does show is that it will be the cheapest option.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:26 pm
Caboosegg wrote:

I agree. It’s worked well historically and served us well but feels like each time (Maguire to Wane to Lam to Peet), the quality & experience has gone down each time.

The worry is that some of Pete’s vital experience (assistant) has been during a period we have seen a reduction in quality in many areas within the club.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

If they appoint Matty Peet as coach nothing has changed in my opinion Peet has been in the set up with Lam and we have gone backwards we need a fresh face .Winning academy finals is not in the same league as Super League how much input did Peet put into Lam's team selections.?.