Lam's Comment Re: Squad for the Catalans game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Lam's Comment Re: Squad for the Catalans game

Post by josie andrews »

Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:55 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 pm Lam's comments about moving the chess pieces is just laughable.
If he knew anything about moving chess pieces then he'd have done that in rotating his squad when we were playing 8 games in 36 days or so. That he played his younger props leaving Bullock, Clubb and Clark with marginal roles. His flogging of the younger props was utterly dreadful.

When we played HKR we'd played 5 games more than they had yet he still went with his usual squad selection and same tactics of kick long and chase hard. So what chess move did he come up with for that game? As for the Saints game, they played 4 less than us then he put a pack out with 3 x 20 year olds, a 21 year old, a 22 year old plus a 31 year old Farrell. Our front row was average age 21, Saints was 30.
So what was Lam's chess master plan for that match?

Why does he come out with such utter rubbish?
Easy for us armchair warriors to say but we’re not privy to all the details. Clubb has been nursing a neck injury, Clark maybe viewed as not good enough and bullock may have not been fully at the races whilst signing for wire?!? Who knows but Lam will have had far more insight than us.
Lam doesn’t like Clark for some reason & from what I’ve heard Bullock is okay as long as he has the ball in his hands! He knows he needs to go & carry it forward, it’s when he hasn’t got the ball that is the problem! The other players, especially Powell, has to tell him where to go & what to do, upsetting their own game!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

the pieman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 am
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:33 am
Mike wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:17 pm Its funny WF85 - I think if you asked most people who is the best team in SL, they'd likely say Saints, not Catalans. I personally think they've slipped a fair way from last season as is evidenced by them losing more games than Cats.
I’d agree with you too Saints aren’t the team Holbrook left behind for sure but still very dangerous as for Catalan I think we all expected to implode as has happened before but this time it didn’t happen,it’s some team McNamara has assembled that's for sure
The way some commentators go on about saints is just sickening. Good side, yes, great side, absolutely not, and i will still say that even if they win the GF. All it shows is how poor the competition is currently. In the GF last year, they never looked like scoring a try for 80 mins, but then we all know the rest and all you see is their name on the trophy. They are not even close to the best Saints, Leeds, Bradford or Wigan sides but have chance to win the 3rd GF in a row

as for some of Lam's comments i think at times he talks like he has been smoking something. As has been said on many other threads, the complete lack of a senior prop(s), when he has 4 in the stands has been alarming. That along with some of his rotations in the backs, even though many will accept that we have had some real injury problems in the backs, are still baffling
Saints were better under Holbrook. There’s no way you can class them as a great side as the level in the league is probably the lowest I’ve ever seen it. Go back ten years ago teams were harder to beat, Leeds, saints, Warrington, hull and Wigan were all tough games. And that wasn’t because of dour level we are at now it’s was the skill level and intensity was a lot better
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wigan will appoint the best coach available to them. If its Peet he's earned a chance. We went elsewhere last time and got Lam!
What absolute nonsense.
Obviously because it's doesn't match your opinion that you back up with selective facts and is just my opinion based on trusting an owner with a record of doing what's best for the club, doing what's best for the club.
It’s nonsense because you give them a free pass to mediocrity. Saying Wigan will appoint the best coach available and in the next sentence saying if it’s Peet is like saying someone got an F but they tried their best so that’s OK. If Peet is the best they can find it’s fine to give up.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:28 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm

What absolute nonsense.
Obviously because it's doesn't match your opinion that you back up with selective facts and is just my opinion based on trusting an owner with a record of doing what's best for the club, doing what's best for the club.
It’s nonsense because you give them a free pass to mediocrity. Saying Wigan will appoint the best coach available and in the next sentence saying if it’s Peet is like saying someone got an F but they tried their best so that’s OK. If Peet is the best they can find it’s fine to give up.
As Peet is an unknown your comment is nonsense. You can't say someone will be rubbish when there's nothing to prove either way.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Well nowt to play for tonight only revenge for that drubbing they gave us earlier in the season, I want to see us try different things in attack maybe even pass the ball and support the man with the ball.
Or am I being a bit optimistic, ok 5 drives and a poor kick it is then.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mickw wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:34 pm Well nowt to play for tonight only revenge for that drubbing they gave us earlier in the season, I want to see us try different things in attack maybe even pass the ball and support the man with the ball.
Or am I being a bit optimistic, ok 5 drives and a poor kick it is then.
Whats really strange is we actually did a few early in the season….. the hastings to faz link and the faz double round to zak link….. both seemed to work so im baffled why we stopped doing them
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Everything Brett Hodgson said on Hull FC recruitment plans, Adam Pearson and Joe Wardle
You made it clear you wanted a middle but it never happened, was that something you lacked this season?

Yes, it was. In particular when you haven’t had Scott Taylor for the majority of the year and Josh Bowden was in and out of the team.

We had to rely on Fash, who has done a superb job and put his hand up all the time and we had to rely on big minutes for Chris and Ligi through the middle.

Eventually that takes its toll. You have someone like Jordan Lane as well, who has had a great year, he’s played nearly every game in the middle of the park and that takes its toll.

You need that rotation to be able to not rely on those big boys as much as we had to this year.

Is finding that man a priority now then?

Yes, it is.
Difference between a coach who knows what he wants and what went wrong for their team and how to rectify it and the one at Wigan who is leaving in a matter of a few days now who has flogged young forwards at every opportunity

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... nt-5926542

Btw if Jake Wardle was "available" I would take him ahead of Thornley any day of the week
Back by demand.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Said before I've got a lot of time for Hodgson. I didn't know this until I saw the stats watching the Manly game this afternoon; up until this morning, he had the second highest points total in a season on record in the NRL, with only El Nasri above him. Until Manly.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Obviously because it's doesn't match your opinion that you back up with selective facts and is just my opinion based on trusting an owner with a record of doing what's best for the club, doing what's best for the club.
As Peet is an unknown your comment is nonsense. You can't say someone will be rubbish when there's nothing to prove either way.
He’s part of the current coaching team for God’s sake. He’s part of the problem. He is not unknown. After the Edwards fiasco and Lam’s tenure Wigan should be looking for a top class proven coach. Not another bloody project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:44 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
He’s part of the current coaching team for God’s sake. He’s part of the problem. He is not unknown. After the Edwards fiasco and Lam’s tenure Wigan should be looking for a top class proven coach. Not another bloody project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you were consistently doing your job to a high level but your boss kept making terrible, even baffling, decisions regardless of your input would you consider yourself "part of the problem" Dave? Good work can easily be undermined by those above as I'm sure you know.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Peet as head coach...I certainly have my own doubts...but you can't make such a simple 'black and white' as you're trying to do above.