Tony Clubb in tears as exit confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Tony Clubb in tears as exit confirmed

Post by josie andrews »

Tony Clubb was left in tears at the DW Stadium last night following his last home game in a Wigan shirt.

The prop forward has been with the Warriors since 2014, with over 150 appearances under his belt, but has found opportunities difficult to come by under head coach Adrian Lam.

Clubb hit the headlines earlier in the season when he was handed an eight-match ban for alleged racial abuse aimed at Hull FC’s Andre Savelio and announced his retirement shortly after.

Formerly of the London Broncos, Clubb spent seven years in the capital before earning a move to Lancashire ahead of the 2014 season.

He has also been capped four times for England and will always be remembered for scoring four tries in a single England game to put his name in the record books.

The 34-year-old has been a great servant for the Warriors, with emergency kidney surgery in 2017 epitomising Clubb’s braveness as he finally won a Grand Final with the club a year later after two losses at Old Trafford.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/tony-clu ... ars-43282/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Tony Clubb in tears as exit confirmed

Post by josie andrews »

Clubb hit the headlines earlier in the season when he was handed an eight-match ban for alleged racial abuse aimed at Hull FC’s Andre Savelio
I was talking to Tony after the game on Friday. He is staying here where he lives as he loves it up here.

The only down bit he said being as a result of the above was when he was receiving hate mail & death threats, his wife & family were terrified, it was a terrible time for the family.

I was appalled on hearing this! What sort of a society do we live in? 🤬
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:15 am
Clubb hit the headlines earlier in the season when he was handed an eight-match ban for alleged racial abuse aimed at Hull FC’s Andre Savelio
I was talking to Tony after the game on Friday. He is staying here where he lives as he loves it up here.

The only down bit he said being as a result of the above was when he was receiving hate mail & death threats, his wife & family were terrified, it was a terrible time for the family.

Behaviour like this is becoming normalised in the UK and is easy to do anonymously sadly.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Not a fan of Clubb but no one deserves that. That’s awful.
It’s only sport for god sake. There so many muppets in today’s society
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Absolutely disgusting.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I don’t want to get in to the whole racism debate but it still doesn’t sit write with me that a bloke can be found guilty without one shred of evidence against him. It sits even worse when I’ve watched Savelio get in to numerous slanging matching since the incident, where he has a hundred words a second to throw at people. We’ll never know the truth I guess but it all felt like the disciplinary had to be seen to do something. Let’s say Clubb was guilty and getting that sort of stuff still isn’t right.

As for his Wigan career, he’s been a good player for us. We shouldn’t have given him that last deal, we all know that but that wasn’t his fault. He’s put his body through a lot to play for this club and he has my total respect for that and the part he’s played in past successes.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Disgraceful and becoming all too common.

Surely it must be possible to make social media companies trace these people?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Correct time to depart Wigan, retirement or not!

Certainly not a pleasant experience for his family. Didn't Tony admit any charges him against him though?

Like politicians, athletes etc, if you put yourself in the spotlight for the wrong reasons, members of society will look to scalp you!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Why did everyone know it was his last home game for Wigan?
We have a home game v Leeds and now Bullock is out injured, so couldn't Clubby be selected for this one. Part of the reason, IMO, we beat Catalans is due to us having three senior props out there. The Cats pack got tackled in a way they never expected and they were put off their game from minute one!

If Lam wants to win on Thursday then surely he'll play three senior props again? Perhaps it'll dawn on Lam why the lads won. On the other hand perhaps it won 't!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well, you'd think. It's certainly a plan.