Wigan Warriors' Joe Shorrocks finishes top of Super League tackle chart

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Joe Shorrocks finishes top of Super League tackle chart

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Shorrocks' valuable contribution to the Wigan side has been highlighted by the fact he made more tackles than any player in Super League this season.

His team-mate Sam Powell was second (807) ahead of Hull FC's Danny Houghton (792).

Shorrocks started the year on the fringes of the Wigan side yet has been ever-present for Adrian Lam's side, helping them to fourth spot and into the play-offs. The forward, a former St Peter's RC High student, even covered at hooker when Powell was sidelined.

Huddersfield play Leigh tomorrow to complete the regular season fixtures but Shorrocks will finish on top in the tackle charts, as his nearest rival from one of those sides is nearly 100 behind him - Giants' Luke Yates on 737.

Elsewhere, Harry Smith topped the list of attacking kicks, with 106, and Liam Farrell was behind his ex-Warriors team-mate Tom Davies in both the most carries and most metres categories.

Farrell made 396 carries for 2,956m - Davies was 399 for 3,332.

Wigan were the only Super League club to play 25 matches this season, due to Covid-enforced postponements which saw the league table yet again be based on win%.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rt-3388137
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan Warriors' Joe Shorrocks finishes top of Super League tackle chart

Post by morley pie eater »

To be fair him and Powell have had more opportunities to make tackles than most - and not just cos we've played 25 games :P
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Can't say I'm surprised at all. If Joe Shorrocks needed to present a case of why he should be in the starting 17 next season, I think he has more than answered it this season!

Versatile, enthusiastic, good with ball in hand and clearly likes a tackle!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:56 pm Can't say I'm surprised at all. If Joe Shorrocks needed to present a case of why he should be in the starting 17 next season, I think he has more than answered it this season!

I just worry about his size, same as Smithies and how that will impact attacking quality. Maybe Shorrocks can be our answer at 13?

I feel like Byrne and Partington are also at their limit of weight and it’s going to be a limiting factor.

Havard on the other hand has the frame to add some muscle as does KPP.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:59 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:56 pm Can't say I'm surprised at all. If Joe Shorrocks needed to present a case of why he should be in the starting 17 next season, I think he has more than answered it this season!

I just worry about his size, same as Smithies and how that will impact attacking quality. Maybe Shorrocks can be our answer at 13?

I feel like Byrne and Partington are also at their limit of weight and it’s going to be a limiting factor.

Havard on the other hand has the frame to add some muscle as does KPP.
Fair post! For me, I think in terms of the most natural ball playing option at 13 (even excluding tackling), its Joe all day long.

KPP speaks for himself for me, superb prospect!

I suppose alot depends on the 'fringe' NRL props due to arrive. I really think Partington is much better than some perceive him. He has old school aggression and a similar work rate too IMO. On their day, SIngo and Partington at 8 and 10 isn't too shabby for me (although they are not the biggest).

Think it's been a testing and mixed season for Byrne, Smithies (especially) and Havard. Not to say any are poor.

Reality is, the competion for places in the pack should be apparent next season and it should be healthy motivation, hopefully.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

On Joe Shorrocks, as I recall, he was mostly a wide-running second-rower at U19 level; I remember watching him him score four tries in one game (he might have been playing centre then, I'm not sure). But anyway, his role since coming into the team has been basically, tackle, tackle, tackle, and he's done that. With Faz, JB, and KPP in the squad, he's hardly likely to get a chance in what was his preferred position, but 13 looks his best home. I've always liked him a lot and I think he's done us proud this season.

This does not mean, of course, that I think he's the next Roby! :lol:
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

The emergence of Shorrocks has been one of the bright points of this season. I really hope he kicks on next season. He feels like the sort of player who would be an absolute horror show to tackle. Impossible to put him down without taking a stray knee or elbow similar to Gareth Hock.

Partington and Byrne concern me. Both looked like very good prospects when they broke into the side but seem to have stalled. Partington seems more concerned with trying to put one on the opposition and needs to cut out the number of penalties he concedes. Byrne for such a huge guy isn't the devastating carrier you would expect someone of that size to be. He needs to develop a bit of a nastiness and when I say Nasty, I don't mean dirty, just a bit more controlled aggression, a bit like I alluded to with Shorrocks earlier in the post.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

We have to remember Shorrocks is still only 21, Byrne has just tuned 22, Havard is 20, Smithies is 20 and Partington is the old man having just turned 23.

Byrne imo was our best prop on Friday. I think a couple of pre seasons and each of those players can put at least 5Kg (1stone) in weight, maybe more.

Then there's Pearce-Paul (20), McDonnell (21), O'Neill (19) and Nicholson (18)!! It might be hard to keep all those those at the club, although having a reserve team comp next year should help?

Back to Shorrocks, I think he's a ball playing loose forward but if he is to fill in/play at #9 he needs a lot of work doing on his ball distribution from dummy half.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:40 am We have to remember Shorrocks is still only 21, Byrne has just tuned 22, Havard is 20, Smithies is 20 and Partington is the old man having just turned 23.

Byrne imo was our best prop on Friday. I think a couple of pre seasons and each of those players can put at least 5Kg (1stone) in weight, maybe more.

Then there's Pearce-Paul (20), McDonnell (21), O'Neill (19) and Nicholson (18)!! It might be hard to keep all those those at the club, although having a reserve team comp next year should help?

Back to Shorrocks, I think he's a ball playing loose forward but if he is to fill in/play at #9 he needs a lot of work doing on his ball distribution from dummy half.
Reserves will help players develop, gain experience and prepare them even more for the first team.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Surely people cant be serious with him ever playing 9 in a sane world?

He should never of been there in the first place, if he fails to reach a build that makes him effective in the pack then too bad, if anything his stint at 9 has shown what many of us have said for a long long time that powell is not good enough because if you can put a forward with no experience of the position in and get virtually the same result in performance then weve got something wrong.

I like shorrocks i think you could play him at 13 even with his frame some teams in the NRL run with a half at 13 sometimes i dont think size is an issue it depends on how you use the 13 slot.

but absolutely not at 9 - fair play to the lad hes stood up and done a job and thats not a slight on him but he's never a hooker in the memory of man
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure