Wigan squad for Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

21-man squad named for Thursday’s Play-Off Eliminator game v Leeds Rhinos.

Three changes to last week as Liam Marshall returns.

Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos, Thursday 23rd September, 7:45pm K.O. Click HERE for tickets.

There are three changes to the Wigan Warriors squad this week as Adrian Lam names his 21 players for Thursday’s Betfred Super League Play-Off Eliminator game against Leeds Rhinos.

Wigan welcome fifth place Leeds Rhinos to the DW Stadium for the second time this season, as they face each other for a Semi-Final spot in a bid to reach the 2021 Betfred Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford.

Team news

Liam Marshall returns to the squad, with Brad Singleton and Morgan Smithies also named after missing the game against Catalans.

Brad O’Neill also misses out along with Umyla Hanley who featured in the U19s last weekend.

Injury news

Jai Field is not named as he continues to recover from a minor groin strain, Joe Bullock also misses out following a shoulder injury sustained against Catalans Dragons on Friday evening.

Both Thomas Leuluai and Bevan French remain sidelined with season-ending hamstring injuries.

Wigan squad to face Leeds Rhinos:

3. Zak Hardaker
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Liam Marshall
8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
14. Oliver Partington
15. Morgan Smithies
17. Tony Clubb
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
21. Ethan Havard
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
27. Kai Pearce-Paul
28. Sam Halsall
29. James McDonnell
31. Jackson Hastings

Wigan host Leeds Rhinos this Thursday 23rd September (7:45pm K.O.), in the Semi-Final Eliminator game. Click HERE https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/09/ ... play-offs/ for all the details including information on how to get your tickets.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/09/ ... for-leeds/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan squad for Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

Three changes to last week as Liam Marshall returns with Brad Singleton and Morgan Smithies also named after missing the game against Catalans.

I’m sure Liam Farrell didn’t play last Friday 🤔 Or does it mean they weren’t “named in the squad?”
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos 21-man squad:

Tom Briscoe, Harry Newman, Konrad Hurrell, Ash Handley, Rob Lui, Mikolaj Oledzki, Kruise Leeming, Matt Prior, Alex Mellor, Rhyse Martin, Zane Tetevano, Brad Dwyer, Richie Myler, Cameron Smith, Tom Holroyd, King Vuniyayawa, Bodene Thompson, Luke Briscoe, James Donaldson, Jack Broadbent, Morgan Gannon.
Coliflower

Post by Coliflower »

I thought Oledski was out for the season after having a foot operation?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

How about

Hardaker
Bibby
Isa
Gildart
Marshall
Hastings
Smith
Singleton
Powell
Clubb
KPP
Farrell
Partington

Shorrocks
Byrne
Harvard
Bateman or Smithies
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Bit harsh on McDonnell, who must be flying and I'd always play Halsall when fit. Maybe the time has come to tell Bateman to play at Loose-forward to try and make something of his season. I just don't think Smithies (and I don't know what's gone wrong) can justify a place in the 21 at the moment. Partington on the bench as a replacement prop - he just doesn't offer enough at loose-forward and I wouldn't have Byrne in the 17.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Hardaker
Bibby
Isa
Gildart
Marshall
Hastings
Smith

Partington
Powell
Singleton
Farrell
Bateman
Smithies

KPP
Byrne
Harvard
Shorrocks
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Hardaker
Halsall
Bibby
Gildart
Marshall

Smith
Hastings

Singleton
Powell
Clubb
Farrell
Isa
Bateman

Interchange :

Partington
Shorrocks
KPP
Havard
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The game and a Wigan win will depend on Lam's team selection and tactics.

Last week, for once, he played three senior props and changed from his bog standard tactics of kick long and chase hard. Instead he went to kick on the last going for touch so Cats had to start sets from a standing start. Jacko did brilliantly well with a 40/20 at the end of the first set. Smith was superb with another second half. Surprising what skillful players can do when you give them the opportunity. Cats faced a Wigan pack they never expected and after not very long didn't fancy it.

This week is totally different. It's knock out rugby with a different mindset. I do hope Lam was trying out a team selection and tactics for knock out rugby but somehow doubt it. If we are to compete with Leeds big pack then we have to go with three senior props. Anything less and we'll be back to not being able to get out of our 30 when exiting our end.

The backs seem to select themselves with, Hardaker, Bibby, Isa, Gildart, Marshall, Smith Hastings.
Selection of forwards will be critical. I'd go - Clubb, Powell, Singleton, Farrell, Bateman, Shorrocks.
Bench, Clark, Partington, Byrne, Pearce-Paul.

Smithies and Harvard not in as they make too many mistakes and we can't afford that in knock out rugby.

Interesting to see if Lam builds on last week or reverts to type.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:18 pm Hardaker
Bibby
Isa
Gildart
Marshall
Hastings
Smith

Partington
Powell