Tony Clubb to retire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Tony Clubb to retire

Post by fozzieskem »

Been a good solid servant to the club really went on a year or two too long at Wigan but that said I wish him well in retirement these lads deserve nothing but respect for the way the put themselves out there each week.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Tony Clubb has been a solid, wholehearted player. One who will be missed and I for one cannot understand why he has attracted so much negative criticism .
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

PJC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm Tony Clubb has been a solid, wholehearted player. One who will be missed and I for one cannot understand why he has attracted so much negative criticism .
+1 If you look at his performance v Brisbane Broncos in the WCC he was immense and made their pack think twice. IIRC he had a bad facial injury shortly after and was never quite the same.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

PJC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm Tony Clubb has been a solid, wholehearted player. One who will be missed and I for one cannot understand why he has attracted so much negative criticism .
Missed in what way? The last few years he has either been injured or played 20 minutes a game contributing around 3-4 runs.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

He was a good signing for us. Not a world beater but a key player in a successful side. Both he and Flower were underrated and played a key part in our successes under Wane. Put in a huge amount of effort when he was in his prime and the club clearly means a lot to him.

It's a shame he wasn't the same player in his final two seasons with us but you can't blame a player for taking a contract that's offered to them, especially when it's likely to be their last. His last two years are more a reflection of recruitment mistakes rather than a reason to detract from his previous seasons.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Because has was past it four years ago. That's what happens if players play on too long or the club doesn't ship them out when it's clear they are no longer up to it.
PJC

Post by PJC »

I can’t quote statistics regarding onfield performance ie metres gained , appearances etc but when present I thought he gave his all.
I do think he was one of those players eg Bullock, Clarke who were not picked and who would benefit from more time on the field.
I realise that injuries will have limited appearances.