Wigan attack

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Wigan attack

Post by Mike »

pedro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:15 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:55 pm Stats are meaningless unless they support your point of view. Its the modern world.
they are meaningless for comparison if the important variables are different
SO catalans schedule was so non-equal on average (harder) than Wigan's that we can't compare stats averaged over the whole season? McIllorum is being made to look worse than Powell because we scraped past Leigh 3 times and they only stuck 64 points on them once in a total of 2 games?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:18 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:55 pm Stats are meaningless unless they support your point of view. Its the modern world.
SO catalans schedule was so non-equal on average (harder) than Wigan's that we can't compare stats averaged over the whole season? McIllorum is being made to look worse than Powell because we scraped past Leigh 3 times and they only stuck 64 points on them once in a total of 2 games?
you could just dismiss what I said if you want, did they both play the same ammount of games v the same opposition? If the answer is no then how can they be compared? Bevan French on stats is in the top 20 for average metres made, you think hes had a better season than most superleague?
pedro

Post by pedro »

the schedule is the season isnt it??
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

pedro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:33 pm

the schedule is the season isnt it??
So you're making the argument that because Catalans didn't play the exact same games as Wigan, no conclusions can be drawn at all about any stats comparing the two teams. If they'd played the same games, they're at different stadiums, with different travelling - would that make all metres gained and total tackles stats irrelevant too - the situations are still different.

Everytime there's a post wth stats, someone will pop up and tell you how irrelevant they are. I wonder how people make decisions if no information is ever perfect enough for them. They must be paralyzed in indecision.

BTW, do you think that Cats had a tougher schedule and that the stats would show more runs from dummy half on average for Mickey if they'd played the same games? If he'd only run more than once on average in the games he did play then the stats would be great I'm sure...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

pedro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:32 pm

you could just dismiss what I said if you want, did they both play the same ammount of games v the same opposition? If the answer is no then how can they be compared? Bevan French on stats is in the top 20 for average metres made, you think hes had a better season than most superleague?
Quite happy to exclude averages over a very small sample size. What's your criteria on number of games played before an average is meaningful? One more than Mickey played I imagine.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

:lol: :lol: So Powell played nearly twice as many games so how can they be compared correctly, you’d have to take Powell’s stats from the same amount of games and opposition, I’d like to know the source of the stats too, if both had played 3 x games each and one played 3 times v Leigh and 1 v saints would they still be comparable as we only scrapped by Leigh and would still give you averages?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

pedro wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:26 am :lol: :lol: So Powell played nearly twice as many games so how can they be compared correctly, you’d have to take Powell’s stats from the same amount of games and opposition, I’d like to know the source of the stats too, if both had played 3 x games each and one played 3 times v Leigh and 1 v saints would they still be comparable as we only scrapped by Leigh and would still give you averages?
We could do some students T tests to determine the confidence that the two means are different given the sample sizes. But what if mickey Mac's means are lower at a 95% confidence level. What will we do then.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I have to think that the title of this thread is an oxymoron. :cry:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:38 am I have to think that the title of this thread is an oxymoron. :cry:
Right attack does not excist at Wigan especially in the opponents 20