Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:21 pm As I understand it, the club offered a massive wage to Williams - our biggest ever contract offer - and intend to recruit someone to replace Hastings. Plus, we have another 70k to play with. If we use that money to recruit a decent centre, and O’Neill develops, then I think we should be fine.

Full back: French is superb - so stronger than this year if fit.
Wingers: Marshall, Miski and Halsall/Bibby. Given Halsall’s development, stronger than this year.
Centres: Hardaker, Thornley, new one, Hankinsin, Halsall/Bibby. Gildart has phoned it in when he could even be bothered to play for 2 years, so we won’t be any weaker there.
Halves: ? Plus Field/Smith. It all depends on ?, but as noted above, they have shown they are willing to spend big to get someone.
Props: Mago, Ellis, Havard, Singleton, Clark, Byrne. Mago in particular will be better than we have had this year, Havard will be a year older. Potentially stronger.
Second rows and loose forward: Bateman, Farrell, KPP, McDonnell, Smithies, Shorrocks... Stronger for the extra year.

I know there are some things that could go wrong, esp if we don’t replace Hastings and French doesn’t recover, but for my money by far the main factor is who is responsible for our attack next year. That’s what I am holding my breath to hear...
The issue I have the “biggest ever contract offered”is when they come,we can but hope at least,to sign a half back the contract talk will almost certainly involve wanting a big slice of that phat Williams money that’s clearly there,by all accounts as they’ve said..and if they say no well I presume the talks will conclude very swiftly.

Very odd move to even say that to me at least.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:32 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:21 pm As I understand it, the club offered a massive wage to Williams - our biggest ever contract offer - and intend to recruit someone to replace Hastings. Plus, we have another 70k to play with. If we use that money to recruit a decent centre, and O’Neill develops, then I think we should be fine.

Wingers: Marshall, Miski and Halsall/Bibby. Given Halsall’s development, stronger than this year.
Centres: Hardaker, Thornley, new one, Hankinsin, Halsall/Bibby. Gildart has phoned it in when he could even be bothered to play for 2 years, so we won’t be any weaker there.
Halves: ? Plus Field/Smith. It all depends on ?, but as noted above, they have shown they are willing to spend big to get someone.
Props: Mago, Ellis, Havard, Singleton, Clark, Byrne. Mago in particular will be better than we have had this year, Havard will be a year older. Potentially stronger.
Second rows and loose forward: Bateman, Farrell, KPP, McDonnell, Smithies, Shorrocks... Stronger for the extra year.

I know there are some things that could go wrong, esp if we don’t replace Hastings and French doesn’t recover, but for my money by far the main factor is who is responsible for our attack next year. That’s what I am holding my breath to hear...
The issue I have the “biggest ever contract offered”is when they come,we can but hope at least,to sign a half back the contract talk will almost certainly involve wanting a big slice of that phat Williams money that’s clearly there,by all accounts as they’ve said..and if they say no well I presume the talks will conclude very swiftly.

I have a different take on biggest contract ever. Williams was never coming back to Wigan. They knew that so offered a ridiculous contract for 2 reasons 1 to safe face by being able to say they did there best. And 2 to make sure wire payed through the nose for him. So from a Wigan point of few was a no brainer. If I'm wrong then there has to be a ridiculous amount of money available to get a world class halfback because if Williams had signed the money must have been there
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:47 pm

I have a different take on biggest contract ever. Williams was never coming back to Wigan. They knew that so offered a ridiculous contract for 2 reasons 1 to safe face by being able to say they did there best. And 2 to make sure wire payed through the nose for him. So from a Wigan point of few was a no brainer. If I'm wrong then there has to be a ridiculous amount of money available to get a world class halfback because if Williams had signed the money must have been there
You can’t be serious?

What if Wigan ended up offering way more then what Wire could afford?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:47 pm

You can’t be serious?

What if Wigan ended up offering way more then what Wire could afford?
I didnt know john mcenroe was a wigan fan
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Don't know what you mean. If it's true Wigan offered biggest contract ever the money had to be there to do that. The fact wire offered more says they could afford more money than Wigan. I was purely pointing out that whatever way Williams saga went Wigan have the money in place with biggest contract ever to sign a world class halfback. So answer to your question is yes I'm serious. Why are you saying Wigan where lying and never had money for biggest contract ever in first place?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:54 pm
pedro wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:03 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Farrell starting to show his age? What by being one of our best and most consistent players all season?
not difficult this year, its him or Bibby, the rest have been in and out or garbage
And he made it into the 2021 dream team :roll:
Doesn’t mean much, look at some of them
In there, I mean Ken Sio is in there
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:28 pm Don't know what you mean. If it's true Wigan offered biggest contract ever the money had to be there to do that. The fact wire offered more says they could afford more money than Wigan. I was purely pointing out that whatever way Williams saga went Wigan have the money in place with biggest contract ever to sign a world class halfback. So answer to your question is yes I'm serious. Why are you saying Wigan where lying and never had money for biggest contract ever in first place?
I just think it’s a bit of a fantasy to think Wigan knew they were never going to sign him so offered the biggest deal ever just so it would cost Warrington more.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:23 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:28 pm Don't know what you mean. If it's true Wigan offered biggest contract ever the money had to be there to do that. The fact wire offered more says they could afford more money than Wigan. I was purely pointing out that whatever way Williams saga went Wigan have the money in place with biggest contract ever to sign a world class halfback. So answer to your question is yes I'm serious. Why are you saying Wigan where lying and never had money for biggest contract ever in first place?
I just think it’s a bit of a fantasy to think Wigan knew they were never going to sign him so offered the biggest deal ever just so it would cost Warrington more.
Once it got past the initial weekend I never thought Williams would return,before he sign the marquee contract at Wigan the chatter around him going to Warrington was,if I recall rightly very loud I always thought he’d end up there and so it proved to be.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There is no reason to think the money isn’t there to sign a half, as the club told us they have the money we aside to sign one, and they aren’t paying Burgess’ or Hastings’ wages. The key thing I got from the fans’ forum was that we have owners with plenty of cash if we need it. I noticed that I left off a couple of players from my list above, by the way. I think Isa is a decent centre (he played there a lot earlier in his career) and can add to that list. I also left off Partington - frankly, I just see nothing to suggest he will make it, and wondered whether we might be able to offload him...
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:30 pm There is no reason to think the money isn’t there to sign a half, as the club told us they have the money we aside to sign one, and they aren’t paying Burgess’ or Hastings’ wages. The key thing I got from the fans’ forum was that we have owners with plenty of cash if we need it. I noticed that I left off a couple of players from my list above, by the way. I think Isa is a decent centre (he played there a lot earlier in his career) and can add to that list. I also left off Partington - frankly, I just see nothing to suggest he will make it, and wondered whether we might be able to offload him...
Partington yes I’d agree there.

Smithees just does nothing for me

Byrne same as above

And there has to be huge question marks over Smith he has at best gone backwards but can only hope he will find his feet under proper guidance the trouble being is that under Lam you’d think he’d have had proper guidance