Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Would like to just add one final point to this thread - people happy that Lam is gone yet no one seems to question Lockers - Tommy etc when they are given automatic coaching roles at the club. In fact most people seem to encourage it especially in the case of lockers.

Lam was one of the best scrum-halfs to ever play for Wigan - he was an incredibly intelligent footballer who could control a game to his whim.

My point is good players dont always make good coaches - Jobs for the Boys will kill Wigan if they dont treat the backroom staff as professionals and have them earn their spots on merrit
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 am Would like to just add one final point to this thread - people happy that Lam is gone yet no one seems to question Lockers - Tommy etc when they are given automatic coaching roles at the club. In fact most people seem to encourage it especially in the case of lockers.

Lam was one of the best scrum-halfs to ever play for Wigan - he was an incredibly intelligent footballer who could control a game to his whim.

My point is good players dont always make good coaches - Jobs for the Boys will kill Wigan if they dont treat the backroom staff as professionals and have them earn their spots on merrit
I agree but I do think it is questioned regularly. The club also seems to be trying to find roles for Manfredi and Clubb though I am pretty sure for Clubb it's not to do with coaching (don't know about Manfredi).

I don't get it. How when it is strapped for cash can the club keep offering jobs to retired players and that is before we consider if any of them offered coaching roles are going to be good coaches?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:51 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 am Would like to just add one final point to this thread - people happy that Lam is gone yet no one seems to question Lockers - Tommy etc when they are given automatic coaching roles at the club. In fact most people seem to encourage it especially in the case of lockers.

I agree but I do think it is questioned regularly. The club also seems to be trying to find roles for Manfredi and Clubb though I am pretty sure for Clubb it's not to do with coaching (don't know about Manfredi).

I don't get it. How when it is strapped for cash can the club keep offering jobs to retired players and that is before we consider if any of them offered coaching roles are going to be good coaches?
A bit of fact manipulation really. Lockers had been working toward joining the coaching team for a few years before his retirement hadn't he.

Tommy we have no idea if he will he a first team coach or not yet. I'd hope Goulding would step up first he seems to be going okay..
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’ve no issue with Lockers joining the coaching staff he has after all been with the kids and Peet for a few years not sure what would qualify Tommy a role on the staff though
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:

A bit of fact manipulation really. Lockers had been working toward joining the coaching team for a few years before his retirement hadn't he.

Tommy we have no idea if he will he a first team coach or not yet. I'd hope Goulding would step up first he seems to be going okay..
Fact manipulation? What are you on about? So what if Lockers has been working for coaching badges? Does getting a badge make you a good coach?

It seems a lot of players go after their coaching badges. Should getting a coaching badge get you a job at Wigan when you retire?

It’s been taken as read TL will join the coaching staff for a few years. Doesn’t matter if it’s the first team or not initially, it’s another retired player given a job coaching.

And what about Manfredi and Clubb? Roles for them being lined up supposedly.

It’s all very nice looking after retired players but the club doesn’t owe them a living and it won’t get any new ideas employing ex players.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:36 pm
Caboosegg wrote:

Fact manipulation? What are you on about? So what if Lockers has been working for coaching badges? Does getting a badge make you a good coach?

It seems a lot of players go after their coaching badges. Should getting a coaching badge get you a job at Wigan when you retire?

It’s been taken as read TL will join the coaching staff for a few years. Doesn’t matter if it’s the first team or not initially, it’s another retired player given a job coaching.

It’s all very nice looking after retired players but the club doesn’t owe them a living and it won’t get any new ideas employing ex players.
It is fact manipulation, you posting like lockers walked off the pitch and got a coaching gig for no reason other than its lockers. That isn't what happened at all.

And you talking rubbish on new ideas as well, people have different ideas that they can't implement until they are in role in any business not just rugby. To act like because you played for the club means you a clone thought wise is obscene.

I would like to see new ideas come in but I'm also not going to Instantly write someone off because of a negative bias towards the current club set up.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Caboosegg. I understand what you are saying but there are plenty of fans with reasonable trepidation for next season that the issues/problems/lack of ideas evident throughout this season came from those already at the club

One or two have already hinted this was the way and Lam had no dealings with team selection so what makes you think the same mistake will not be repeated?

I get that lockers et-all need a chance BUT that should be elsewhere and the ethos they wish to install should not be born of ex-mates still playing in a team where you would hope to see evidence in a change of play occur
Back by demand.
DaveO

Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:36 pm
Caboosegg wrote:

It is fact manipulation, you posting like lockers walked off the pitch and got a coaching gig for no reason other than its lockers. That isn't what happened at all.

And you talking rubbish on new ideas as well, people have different ideas that they can't implement until they are in role in any business not just rugby. To act like because you played for the club means you a clone thought wise is obscene.

I would like to see new ideas come in but I'm also not going to Instantly write someone off because of a negative bias towards the current club set up.
Given I didn’t say any such thing about Lockers walking off the pitch and getting a coaching job I still don’t know what you are on about.

I didn’t even mentioned his name until you did with respect to coaching badges and I didn’t say he was walking into a coaching job then either.

I replied to a previous poster who said he disagreed with ex players getting coaching jobs. I pointed out to him others have said this and then mentioned Clubb and Manfredi. Not Lockers and nothing about him walking into a job.

Are you sure you didn’t mean to reply to Wigan_forever1985?