Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:28 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:34 pm
fozzieskem wrote:Given how far the club stuck its neck out over Hardaker it is a bit of a lame excuse citing the M62 as insurmountable obstacle yes it’s a right pain in the bum most days but it’s not Everest or crossing the Serengeti is it?
If he really wants out because of the commute he’s soon forgotten about Wigan resurrecting his career.

However Wigan will have brought this on themselves as I always thought he was a cheap (if quality) solution that allowed them to replace Sam T. It was a risk to sign him and if he really does want out that risk won’t have paid off. Maybe Wigan will learn a lesson and not bend over backwards to accommodate players with a bit of a wayward character. They allowed Hock back and he blew it and if Hardaker buggers off it’s more of the same.
Can’t disagree with what you’ve said Dave.
How do you know hardaker was a cheap option to replace Sam? Sam was gone, we had Escare (who I imagine would still be here if not for Lam) and bought French.......

I imagine Hardaker was seen as a potentially utility player and not the fullback replacement.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 am
If he really wants out because of the commute he’s soon forgotten about Wigan resurrecting his career.

However Wigan will have brought this on themselves as I always thought he was a cheap (if quality) solution that allowed them to replace Sam T. It was a risk to sign him and if he really does want out that risk won’t have paid off. Maybe Wigan will learn a lesson and not bend over backwards to accommodate players with a bit of a wayward character. They allowed Hock back and he blew it and if Hardaker buggers off it’s more of the same.
How do you know hardaker was a cheap option to replace Sam? Sam was gone, we had Escare (who I imagine would still be here if not for Lam) and bought French.......

I imagine Hardaker was seen as a potentially utility player and not the fullback replacement.
Hardaker prime position has always been fullback Yes they had Escare but he wasn’t top drawer so I certainly always saw Hardaker as Sams replacement.

As for the signing of French I called him a luxury signing at the time he still is because we have a very good fullback at the club and let’s be fair you’re assuming the club have a coherent transfer plan which I’m not to sure about more a grab a player and let’s see how he goes type of affair
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:28 am

Hardaker prime position has always been fullback Yes they had Escare but he wasn’t top drawer so I certainly always saw Hardaker as Sams replacement.

As for the signing of French I called him a luxury signing at the time he still is because we have a very good fullback at the club and let’s be fair you’re assuming the club have a coherent transfer plan which I’m not to sure about more a grab a player and let’s see how he goes type of affair
i think that hits the nail on the head

i think the plan was to go for excitement by recruiting fast flair players, but it backfired as the key 2 components were out all season injured, along with many of the supporting cogs (so to speak).

many of us didnt have a clue where Lam was going to fit them all in, if they were all fit, and i think thats where the recruitment falls down. I, personally am not sure French was signed to play FB, but he really added something to the backline playing from there in 2020, hence Zak being move to centre, but then to add Field, who i dont think anyone knows his best position, just seems like signing someone for the sake of signing. its all well and good signing someone with utility value ie Bibby, when you know he can play centre / wing, but Field at the minute doesnt fit any slot that i can see
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I know he was a cheaper option because the club didn't want to pay Sam T the wage they had agreed with him for the final year option of his contract so they were never going to pay Hardaker as high a wage as Sam T were they?

No idea why you think Hardaker was signed as a utility player. That is literally the first time I have ever seen anyone suggest that. Our full back left and we signed a fullback and until French arrived 3/4 way through the 2019 season that is where he played. In fact I think it was only 2020 that French started playing full back regularly.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Whilst. I agree that Zak’s primary position is full back I don’t think that he has the pre-requisite skills of a modern No. 1. I am hoping that Hanley fills that void when French leaves.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Whilst. I agree that Zak’s primary position is full back I don’t think that he has the pre-requisite skills of a modern No. 1. I am hoping that Hanley fills that void when French leaves.
Hanley is a long way off being ready I hope he’s allowed to progress at a proper rate of knots rather than Lams weird fetish of throwing kids in wherever and hope for the best policy has flown back down under with him.

As for Hardaker I’d argue Wigan don’t play to his strengths frankly get a side who plays to them and you’ll see the best out of him as for a modern fullback the only one who constantly catches the eye is Sam Tomkins formally of this parish
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 pm Given how far the club stuck its neck out over Hardaker it is a bit of a lame excuse citing the M62 as insurmountable obstacle yes it’s a right pain in the bum most days but it’s not Everest or crossing the Serengeti is it?
From my time in the colonies fozzie I can tell you that it was quite easy crossing the Serengeti back to Nairobi, the m62 is far far worse.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:43 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 pm Given how far the club stuck its neck out over Hardaker it is a bit of a lame excuse citing the M62 as insurmountable obstacle yes it’s a right pain in the bum most days but it’s not Everest or crossing the Serengeti is it?
From my time in the colonies fozzie I can tell you that it was quite easy crossing the Serengeti back to Nairobi, the m62 is far far worse.
😂
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:25 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm

You can’t be serious?

What if Wigan ended up offering way more then what Wire could afford?
I didnt know john mcenroe was a wigan fan
:lol:

Love it!! I guess now we could add his other saying as it applies to Wigan "you're the pits of the world"
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:17 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:25 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm

You can’t be serious?

What if Wigan ended up offering way more then what Wire could afford?
I didnt know john mcenroe was a wigan fan
:lol:

Love it!! I guess now we could add his other saying as it applies to Wigan "you're the pits of the world"
I couldnt resist
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE