Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by Barney841 »

Me for one is glad the season is over. I know it’s not the best thing to say for a team you’ve supported for 30 years but I think we’ve avoided embarrassment in the next game.
Be interesting what changes we will see next season, you could say it won’t be hard to change the way this team plays as I’ve never seen us play this bad since Millward was in charge.
First thing they need to do is think about which young lads are staying as I think quite a few of our younger lads are overrated
Wintergreen

Re: Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by Wintergreen »

It was a strange feeling last night.

On one hand I was gutted as we were out.

On the other hand I was relieved that this joke of a season was over.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:41 am Me for one is glad the season is over. I know it’s not the best thing to say for a team you’ve supported for 30 years but I think we’ve avoided embarrassment in the next game.
Be interesting what changes we will see next season, you could say it won’t be hard to change the way this team plays as I’ve never seen us play this bad since Millward was in charge.
First thing they need to do is think about which young lads are staying as I think quite a few of our younger lads are overrated
These young lads we need to think about, what happens if nobody wants to buy them? They’re under contract…
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:41 am Me for one is glad the season is over. I know it’s not the best thing to say for a team you’ve supported for 30 years but I think we’ve avoided embarrassment in the next game.
These young lads we need to think about, what happens if nobody wants to buy them? They’re under contract…
I know. Let’s hope we can get rid some of them, ones we don’t need.
Better coaching could improve some these players but some just aren’t good enough
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Although covid has had an impact, Lam stayed to long and has damaged the fan base, last nights crowd showed how low we have fallen. Sadly this also means that unless a perceived big change happens we won't see large crowds for a while.

Although I will probably end up buying one, this season made me question my season tickets, only the Catalan match having any atmosphere.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Walking back to the car last night I said to my wife I’m not sure if I want to renew my season ticket,she has had big doubts for a few months so we shall wait and see,to me this season it simply hasn’t been worth buying of a season ticket the constant discounting of games really made me question my value as a customer by the club.

Then there is the “welcome” you get at the DW itself hardly warm and fuzzy and frankly one the last straws was the wife having her bag searched as she went in,I’m still at a loss what for added to the charging for the car park (can’t ever recall that happening for play off games)again made me question the value placed on me by the club and yes I know they have no say in the charge but that’s what happens when you’re a tenant in a third rate stadium run by 5th rate owners.

Then we get to the rugby itself it’s clear,though some wouldn’t have it that by the York game something was very wrong at the club simply this generation of young lads isn’t as good as people think they are far to many “shirt fillers” for me Wigan are in a rebuilding stage but have mired themselves to players who I really don’t think are good enough and I’m not sure there is a way out of it.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am Walking back to the car last night I said to my wife I’m not sure if I want to renew my season ticket,she has had big doubts for a few months so we shall wait and see,to me this season it simply hasn’t been worth buying of a season ticket the constant discounting of games really made me question my value as a customer by the club.

Then there is the “welcome” you get at the DW itself hardly warm and fuzzy and frankly one the last straws was the wife having her bag searched as she went in,I’m still at a loss what for added to the charging for the car park (can’t ever recall that happening for play off games)again made me question the value placed on me by the club and yes I know they have no say in the charge but that’s what happens when you’re a tenant in a third rate stadium run by 5th rate owners.

Then we get to the rugby itself it’s clear,though some wouldn’t have it that by the York game something was very wrong at the club simply this generation of young lads isn’t as good as people think they are far to many “shirt fillers” for me Wigan are in a rebuilding stage but have mired themselves to players who I really don’t think are good enough and I’m not sure there is a way out of it.
I've never had an issue with discounted tickets myself, yes I know that it reduces the value of buying a ST (if you don't use the bar or discount at the store) but I would rather see a packed DW (not that this has happened)

My issue has been the product on the pitch, I struggle to justify paying that much to be bored surrounded by fans who are rightfully feeling negative .

The most exciting thing at the DW this year as been the lady popping a confetti cannon on the row across
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
KR15

Post by KR15 »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am Walking back to the car last night I said to my wife I’m not sure if I want to renew my season ticket,she has had big doubts for a few months so we shall wait and see,to me this season it simply hasn’t been worth buying of a season ticket the constant discounting of games really made me question my value as a customer by the club.

Precisely.

We sat and worked out last night how much it would have cost us had we not bought the season tickets and just paid per game - including the discounted and free tickets - and we would have saved £36 each, however we missed two games as I had a baby at the end of June - we knew we would likely miss some games but bought the ST's partly out of loyalty and partly to reserve our seats, which ended up being irrelevant as we still can't sit in our seats as they are in the 'red zone' around the dugout. Had we literally just paid for the games we actually went to, we would have saved £65 each.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

One or two games by all means have at it I e no issue but it was clear early on the discounting was going on and it does reduce the value of the ST,and living with a commuted bargain hunter such as my wife it’s rubbed off,but that’s just one aspect of this dreadful season,zero communication from the club,the lack of any meaningful signings and other aspects I’ve said in my original post all add up.

Will I renew maybe is all I can say,it is our one outing each week unless it’s the 7 week no go to the DW each summer of course another thing that has always peed me off so for the first time I will take stock and no blindly renew as soon as it drops through the door certainly the cost of it will also come into play,they over egg that pudding and that will put me and I suspect many others off given the financial storm that is coming.
pgraves11

Post by pgraves11 »

A Lam to the slaughter, comes to mind !!
I can't believe in his post match interview Adrien thought we had played well ?????
It has been like watching a wounded animal die, should have put it out of it's misery months ago.

Any local community coach could have come up with a better game plan than that.

I like most of you can not see how that squad can improve enough to be competitive next season.
They are just not good enough, Bateman included, Fields contract should be cancelled, has Bevan French got the ambition to come back to such a poor team ?????

New coach needed but not from the existing back room staff, Shaun Wain was good, but his time with Wigan is over.
IL and KR, need to sit back and take a long hard look at the standard achieved this season, Very poor is the answer that springs to mind.

Look hard look long, select a coach with your brain not your heart.