Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by nathan_rugby »

pgraves11 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 am A Lam to the slaughter, comes to mind !!
I can't believe in his post match interview Adrien thought we had played well ?????
It has been like watching a wounded animal die, should have put it out of it's misery months ago.

Any local community coach could have come up with a better game plan than that.

I like most of you can not see how that squad can improve enough to be competitive next season.
They are just not good enough, Bateman included, Fields contract should be cancelled, has Bevan French got the ambition to come back to such a poor team ?????

New coach needed but not from the existing back room staff, Shaun Wain was good, but his time with Wigan is over.
IL and KR, need to sit back and take a long hard look at the standard achieved this season, Very poor is the answer that springs to mind.

Look hard look long, select a coach with your brain not your heart.
Why should Fields contract be cancelled?

He had a severe injury which was likely caused by the fitness coaches not getting him match ready & he was played out of position.

Cannot judge Fields performances following the injury when you consider the seriousness of it and the fact this team is dreadful with no gameplan.

Oh and what benefit is there cancelling his contract? It still counts on the cap.

Irrelevant point on French, he has a contract.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

People seem to be thinking that because Lam has gone things will automatically improve. We actually have to find that improvement, it won't simply happen because one person is no longer at the club. We have to bring in the right coach (or coaches) and sign the right players in order to improve. Our attack has been truly woeful but it's worth remembering there's still a long way we can fall.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:24 am People seem to be thinking that because Lam has gone things will automatically improve. We actually have to find that improvement, it won't simply happen because one person is no longer at the club. We have to bring in the right coach (or coaches) and sign the right players in order to improve. Our attack has been truly woeful but it's worth remembering there's still a long way we can fall.
Alot of the under performing players have played alot better than they are doing both last year and the year before.
All though I don't believe we have the best squad in the league, we are massively under performing.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:24 am People seem to be thinking that because Lam has gone things will automatically improve. We actually have to find that improvement, it won't simply happen because one person is no longer at the club. We have to bring in the right coach (or coaches) and sign the right players in order to improve. Our attack has been truly woeful but it's worth remembering there's still a long way we can fall.
Next season if we show a tempo and style of play, that will be an improvement.
Under Lam it looked like we were just chucked onto field and see what we can do. Summed up by scully, a bunch of mates that have just turned up for a game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pgraves11 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 am
IL and KR, need to sit back and take a long hard look at the standard achieved this season, Very poor is the answer that springs to mind.
And they can look in the mirror and add themselves to the "very poor" standard club. It's their fault we have been lumbered with the shower of shite that passes for a Wigan squad (and with the coach).

There is also little scope for improvement. They have already sorted the squad for next season bar a half back (supposedly) and it's not looking good.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Correct. You can't coach pace for example and with some players who are older what you see is all you will get. They aren't going to be able to be coach to pass better or run lines they don't even know exist.

The new coach is hamstrung by the squad so I can only hope he has the guts to drop players who aren't up to it and see if he can find academy players who are.

If he refuses to play poor players maybe that will get IL and Rads to wake up to the idea it's not a good idea to renew contracts out of loyalty or because the player is a trier. Will IL & Rads employ a coach who would respond to questions from them about why a player was dropped with the answer the player is not good enough? I doubt it.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Sorry can't be positive about it can't see how nightmare is over with lam going. I fear the problems are a lot deeper and higher than lam. I find it hard to comprehend how a player (kR) who has come through the ranks of Wigan in probably there most potent era has gone completely away from the ethics that has been engrained in the way the club has been run was admired and envied by all. To a shambles and laughing stock with no vision or ambition and respect being shown to the people who are the mainpost of the future of Wigan rl. The fans. And if as expected peet is his replacement. And standard of recruitment carries on same then imo the nightmare is far from over and probably get worse. Starting with season tickets getting a battering which again will have a big impact on club. In present climate rfl wants promoting in a strong way with a good product unfortunately we seem to be going backwards fast. I will not give up on club as it's in my blood. But many will and the chance of attracting new fans is looking unlikely.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:10 pmI find it hard to comprehend how a player (kR) who has come through the ranks of Wigan in probably there most potent era has gone completely away from the ethics that has been engrained in the way the club has been run was admired and envied by all.
Me either. It's completely moved away from that under him. I just think he isn't up to the job. As I have mentioned elsewhere I think he has implemented what he believes is the same kind of wage structure he saw Leeds operate but is oblivious to the fact it's delivered that squad. I am sure he thinks he's done the right thing and it must be someone else's fault it's gone wrong.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:21 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:10 pmI find it hard to comprehend how a player (kR) who has come through the ranks of Wigan in probably there most potent era has gone completely away from the ethics that has been engrained in the way the club has been run was admired and envied by all.
Me either. It's completely moved away from that under him. I just think he isn't up to the job. As I have mentioned elsewhere I think he has implemented what he believes is the same kind of wage structure he saw Leeds operate but is oblivious to the fact it's delivered that squad. I am sure he thinks he's done the right thing and it must be someone else's fault it's gone wrong.
Paying too many young players over the odds look at the age of our pack compared to other clubs .We have no wriggle room now trying to accommodate the youngsters as John Monie said once if you get 2 players coming into contention thats good not a whole pack of them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Just watched Lams post match interview. Says we didn’t do what we were supposed to do with the ball, where’s he been all season!
Also he says he’s learnt a lot about himself, let’s hope it’s how not to coach(if at all).