Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Nightmare over. Lam gone!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The nightmare for me is just beginning

We are losing our best player, our best centre (though this season hes been dire) and we are again making absolutley no attempt to sort out problems anyone who knows anything about rugby can see.

If you think about our team for next year ive highlighted areas of concern and frankly there are too many

Fullback - French is a bit of an unknown hopefully he will come back as good as he left but remember Amos Roberts ripping it up only to be finished by a big leg injury - Hardaker better at fullback than centre but maybe likely to leave?

Wingers - Marshall is a good player, the london lad coming in is an unknown but finished 3rd top try scorer in the league so lets say he might be ok.

Centres - likely to be Thornley and bibby/hardaker? meaning only 1 true centre and that being someone who has never really achieved much in the game. Bibby is a decent winger but drops down to an average/bad when playing centre.

Halves - Field/Smith - realistically just not good enough, field is a complete unknown and the rare glimpses weve seen of him he didnt look like he was anything much, Smith bought into his own hype and as a result gone backwards

Props - Bunch of kids who have all gone backwards and a couple of unproven aussies losing size if bullock and clarke go we know clubb is off so again thats more size lost

Hooker - not good enough likely to carry on being not good enough with no challenge

Back Row- Farrell starting to show his age and Bateman a shell of his former self

Loose - Will be one of the kids none of whom are really big enough or ready enough to play week in week out

Even the best coach in the world would struggle
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:17 pm The nightmare for me is just beginning

We are losing our best player, our best centre (though this season hes been dire) and we are again making absolutley no attempt to sort out problems anyone who knows anything about rugby can see.

If you think about our team for next year ive highlighted areas of concern and frankly there are too many

Fullback - French is a bit of an unknown hopefully he will come back as good as he left but remember Amos Roberts ripping it up only to be finished by a big leg injury - Hardaker better at fullback than centre but maybe likely to leave?

Wingers - Marshall is a good player, the london lad coming in is an unknown but finished 3rd top try scorer in the league so lets say he might be ok.

Centres - likely to be Thornley and bibby/hardaker? meaning only 1 true centre and that being someone who has never really achieved much in the game. Bibby is a decent winger but drops down to an average/bad when playing centre.

Halves - Field/Smith - realistically just not good enough, field is a complete unknown and the rare glimpses weve seen of him he didnt look like he was anything much, Smith bought into his own hype and as a result gone backwards

Props - Bunch of kids who have all gone backwards and a couple of unproven aussies losing size if bullock and clarke go we know clubb is off so again thats more size lost

Hooker - not good enough likely to carry on being not good enough with no challenge

Back Row- Farrell starting to show his age and Bateman a shell of his former self

Loose - Will be one of the kids none of whom are really big enough or ready enough to play week in week out

Can’t disagree with any of that
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:37 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am Walking back to the car last night I said to my wife I’m not sure if I want to renew my season ticket,she has had big doubts for a few months so we shall wait and see,to me this season it simply hasn’t been worth buying of a season ticket the constant discounting of games really made me question my value as a customer by the club.

Then there is the “welcome” you get at the DW itself hardly warm and fuzzy and frankly one the last straws was the wife having her bag searched as she went in,I’m still at a loss what for added to the charging for the car park (can’t ever recall that happening for play off games)again made me question the value placed on me by the club and yes I know they have no say in the charge but that’s what happens when you’re a tenant in a third rate stadium run by 5th rate owners.

Then we get to the rugby itself it’s clear,though some wouldn’t have it that by the York game something was very wrong at the club simply this generation of young lads isn’t as good as people think they are far to many “shirt fillers” for me Wigan are in a rebuilding stage but have mired themselves to players who I really don’t think are good enough and I’m not sure there is a way out of it.
I've never had an issue with discounted tickets myself, yes I know that it reduces the value of buying a ST (if you don't use the bar or discount at the store) but I would rather see a packed DW (not that this has happened)

My issue has been the product on the pitch, I struggle to justify paying that much to be bored surrounded by fans who are rightfully feeling negative .

The most exciting thing at the DW this year as been the lady popping a confetti cannon on the row across
That’s me 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Seemed appropriate to go out with a nil at home.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The great thing about the off-season is that you can usually convince yourself that there is hope of improvement for the next season. Then again they say that 'it's the hope that kills you' Not really sure where I'm going with this other than I'm a bit depressed about the whole thing. Going for a lie down.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:17 pm The nightmare for me is just beginning

Farrell starting to show his age? What by being one of our best and most consistent players all season?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think if I were Halsall I'd be assessing my future options based on not being trusted last night and maybe McDonnell as well.
This is sad stuff.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'd expect Halsall to become a regular next season. He's got great ability. You'd think that, given his age, he'll be able to improve his strength/power considerably within the next couple of seasons. It must have been a close call between him and Bibby last night. Sam's been so good under the kind of high balls that have given Bibby problems this year. I keep thinking that Jake should be a better centre than a winger but he seems to play better on the wing with the proviso that his lack of height can give him problems under the high ball.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

southportcdm wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:36 pm I'd expect Halsall to become a regular next season. He's got great ability. You'd think that, given his age, he'll be able to improve his strength/power considerably within the next couple of seasons. It must have been a close call between him and Bibby last night. Sam's been so good under the kind of high balls that have given Bibby problems this year. I keep thinking that Jake should be a better centre than a winger but he seems to play better on the wing with the proviso that his lack of height can give him problems under the high ball.
Bibby isn’t and will never be a good centre.

I used to slate Sarginson because he wasn’t a wingers centre, couldn’t draw a man and pass, didn’t look when he passed, advertised it when he did.

But with all that considered, hypothetically, id select Sarginson at centre over Bibby any day of the week.

Darrell Goulding still the best centre we’ve produced in the last 15 years!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Farrell starting to show his age? What by being one of our best and most consistent players all season?
not difficult this year, its him or Bibby, the rest have been in and out or garbage