key positions need change

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: key positions need change

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:27 pm For me in order of priority we need (we need all these IMO but this is the order i see)

1. A Hooker with more than a single dimension
2. An experienced halfback
3. A decent centre
4. A Pack Leading Prop

Personally i cant wait
Good post, I'd put the priority as

1. A Pack Leading Prop
2. A Hooker with more than a single dimension
3. An experienced halfback
4. A decent centre

I also can't wait....but I'm a glutton for punishment
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Personally i cant wait

1. A Pack Leading Prop
4. A decent centre

1, We'd all like a pack leading prop but we've now got four "senior" props in Singleton, Ellis, Mago and Clark. Unless Clark leaves then I can't see any other prop arriving.
2, With Powell just re-signed and O'Neil can't see us signing another 9.
3, I think we'll sign one. Also be careful what you wish for, our experienced half back might turn out to be Tommy going round again!
4, We now have Hankinson, Thornley and Bibby on the books with Halsall a great prospect. Can't see that happening either.

Last year's squad was no where near as bad as the performances that were put in. When your coach refuses to play three of your four front line props and instead plays the younger lads then you're heading for trouble and trouble is what we got.
How Lam was allowed to get away with that I'll never know!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:16 am Personally i cant wait

1. A Pack Leading Prop
4. A decent centre

1, We'd all like a pack leading prop but we've now got four "senior" props in Singleton, Ellis, Mago and Clark. Unless Clark leaves then I can't see any other prop arriving.
3, I think we'll sign one. Also be careful what you wish for, our experienced half back might turn out to be Tommy going round again!
4, We now have Hankinson, Thornley and Bibby on the books with Halsall a great prospect. Can't see that happening either.

Last year's squad was no where near as bad as the performances that were put in. When your coach refuses to play three of your four front line props and instead plays the younger lads then you're heading for trouble and trouble is what we got.
How he got away with it is because IL wouldn't sack him.

Isn't one of the Aussies forwards a 2nd row forward or a 13?

I think you are right about the recruitment but unless O'Neil and Halsall prove better players than the rest in the 2, 3 & 4 categories and get the game time I think you will find we are as bad as the performances this season have shown because the senior players in 2,3 & 4 are just not good enough. Particularly if Bibby is played as centre which he never is. Hankinson and Thornley would leave us with the slowest centres in the league. The senior players in 2,3 & 4 are of a standard which is at best what people describe as a squad player or a utility player. None of them are top class and the squad has too many of that standard in it.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:54 am

1. A Pack Leading Prop
4. A decent centre

How he got away with it is because IL wouldn't sack him.

Isn't one of the Aussies forwards a 2nd row forward or a 13?

I think you are right about the recruitment but unless O'Neil and Halsall prove better players than the rest in the 2, 3 & 4 categories and get the game time I think you will find we are as bad as the performances this season have shown because the senior players in 2,3 & 4 are just not good enough. Particularly if Bibby is played as centre which he never is. Hankinson and Thornley would leave us with the slowest centres in the league. The senior players in 2,3 & 4 are of a standard which is at best what people describe as a squad player or a utility player. None of them are top class and the squad has too many of that standard in it.
hea a prop who plays 13 a lot, most Aussie teams play an extra prop at 13 now
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

1. A Pack Leading Prop
4. A decent centre

Fair one, I'd still put an experienced prop as out top priority, the NRL lads are not really senior props, they are good prospects but not regular starters for their clubs. I'd break the bank for some one like Tokiaho (spellings off) from the Roosters. We'd then have decent forward unit that any decent hooker/half back could play behind.

I'd could just about wear a Powell/O'Neil combo if he progresses.

Then halfback would be priority 2

And another centre priority 4 (depending on how the rumors pan out).

Agree that the squad should have achived better performances this season, lets put that down to Lam's obsession with poor choices....