Vote for your Player of the Year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mickali1

Re: Vote for your Player of the Year

Post by mickali1 »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:09 pm While I fully agree Hastings will be a big loss next season I think I hampered us this season. He tried to do everything and didn't let anyone else have a say in the plays. Again not to say he's not a good player but when he tries to do it all himself then the opposition doesn't have to do anything but shut him down.
My opinion also. I don't think he will be anything like the loss some think. In fact as I've said on another thread I think we will be a better team without him.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote:Strong seasons from Liam Farrell, Kai Pearce Paul and Joe Shorrocks.

For me though, it has to be Jackson Hastings, who I think will be a significant loss next season. Without Jackson's game management this season, we'd be in deeper shit!
Tend to agree with this. The problem I have with Hastings though is through no fault of his own he spent too many games at FB and it kind of ruined his season for me. Faz having to play centre didn’t help him either.

KPP and Shorrocks are two positives to take from a poor season. They both looked like first team players and not out of place at all. I’d expect them both to figure next season prominently even though there are two Aussie forwards arriving.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Gavin Hastings Player of the year by a mile, however I think overall it may have been to the detriment of performances. Everything went through him and the feeling was if he couldn't do it who else could.
This was highlighted in the last game against Leeds who were worse than us, they never had an attack but still won it was all high kick to the corner (Bibby) and hope for the best. They didn't have to be any good to beat us, they had a simple game plan hold the line because nothing would happen until Hastings got the ball. Stop him stop Wigan. In effect because of that we were so easy to combat, hence no tries.
KPP biggest plus and a breath of fresh air who didn't receive the support he should have when he had the ball.
kevbrown1980

Post by kevbrown1980 »

I wasn't expecting Gavin Hastings to be in the running, to be fair, he hasn't put a foot wrong for us all season
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

kevbrown1980 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:11 pm I wasn't expecting Gavin Hastings to be in the running, to be fair, he hasn't put a foot wrong for us all season
He wouldn’t do either! He’s been retired from Scottish RU for at least 30 years 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Oops sorry, oh dear what a prat, you can see how this season has rattled my brain. Obviously I mean one man band Jackson Hastings.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I voted for Joe Shorrocks not because he is a great player, although he has the potential to be but because he never stopped trying and was the only young player to improve during the season in a frankly poor team.
I hope I'll be voting for Sam Halsall next season.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:17 am I voted for Joe Shorrocks not because he is a great player, although he has the potential to be but because he never stopped trying and was the only young player to improve during the season in a frankly poor team.
I hope I'll be voting for Sam Halsall next season.
Good shout. I like both these young lads 100% effort in games they’ve played. Shorrocks trains regularly with Lockers & if he takes in 80% of what he’s told he will make a very good loose forward 😊

Halsall is so solid under the high ball, what a talented young man & hope the club can keep these two along with KPP as he also has a great future at the club 🤞🏼🤞🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan