Wigan Warriors forward confirms departure as move to rival looms

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Wigan Warriors forward confirms departure as move to rival looms

Post by CheshireWarrior »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:02 pm Frustrating time with him he just didn’t push on for me shame he has the tools to become a very good prop but for me at least he just didn’t do it often enough
Sums it up neatly for me. I thought even from Round 1 against Leeds in 2019 we had a very strong future prospect!

I agree though, whether it be lack of game time or whatever, 2021 has been difficult for him (not by himself though).
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

I’ll probably get slated here but we really missed him against Leeds. The previous match v Catalans he put a good opening stint in with some good drives that not all our other forwards match but then copped a shoulder injury…
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

You can miss him sometimes but that’s the frustrating part. He can be a very good prop but it’s once in about 10 games and then he goes back to looking like he’s not really fussed about pushing himself and maximising the most of his talent. I don’t really blame him as such, you can tell he’s just not got that natural steel and drive inside of him to push on and become a top class player. He should be playing for England looking at his size and athleticism but he just doesn’t want it enough IMO. An example of attitude over natural talent would be somebody like Jamie Peacock. He’d have killed for the pace of somebody like Bullock but he literally dragged every ounce of energy out of himself and pushed himself to be world class. He’s like a polar opposite in attitude terms to somebody like Bullock.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:59 am I did, he won prop of the year in the championship and has all the attributes to be a good prop
You have more faith in the coaching staff then I have then. I know the players have to want it as well but I don't know why people expect players in their mid twenties who are championship players to go on to be outstanding SL players.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 pm
pedro wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:59 am I did, he won prop of the year in the championship and has all the attributes to be a good prop
You have more faith in the coaching staff then I have then. I know the players have to want it as well but I don't know why people expect players in their mid twenties who are championship players to go on to be outstanding SL players.
walmsley was 22 so not too young when he was signed from the championship