This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2138
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There are a few things that interest me, looking ahead:
- how bad/good a coach was Lam;
- how bad/good a coach will the new one be, especially in attack;
- how will the young lads develop; and
- how good will the new signings be (in particular Mago, who is 18th man in a brilliant South’s team).
I could never imagine not renewing our tickets, in any case. I can’t recall going into an off season with as many unknowns for a long time.
No straw damn us
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by No straw damn us »

acwrlfc wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:11 pm Perhaps if IL and KR had some vision for the club people would return but it appears to me we are running in treacle.

We are paying up to the salary cap remember and our crowds are much the same as Saints Wire etc and much better than Huddersfield but look at their recruitment, so for me the support isnt an issue.

I really interesting comment from Leon Pryce tonight who Mcnamus is willing to go out get quality and replace with quality.

And the end result is they are always in and around the Grand Final year after year, for me him and Mike Rush are the difference. I didnt see the TWS bulging at the seams tonight
But that's not quite true is it regarding McManus. Pryce mentioned Sculthorpe, Newlove and Lyon. two of those were already at Saints when McManus arrived. He also didn't mention the likes of Josh Perry, Barry Ward, "tricky" Trindall, Travis Burns, Atelea Vea Joel Thomson, Luke Douglas, Ryan Morgan, Matty Dawson, Jack Owens, Tommy Lee etc

They've had their fair share of average to poor signings.
blindsideprop
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 am

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by blindsideprop »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:01 am
acwrlfc wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:11 pm Perhaps if IL and KR had some vision for the club people would return but it appears to me we are running in treacle.

We are paying up to the salary cap remember and our crowds are much the same as Saints Wire etc and much better than Huddersfield but look at their recruitment, so for me the support isnt an issue.

I really interesting comment from Leon Pryce tonight who Mcnamus is willing to go out get quality and replace with quality.

And the end result is they are always in and around the Grand Final year after year, for me him and Mike Rush are the difference. I didnt see the TWS bulging at the seams tonight
But that's not quite true is it regarding McManus. Pryce mentioned Sculthorpe, Newlove and Lyon. two of those were already at Saints when McManus arrived. He also didn't mention the likes of Josh Perry, Barry Ward, "tricky" Trindall, Travis Burns, Atelea Vea Joel Thomson, Luke Douglas, Ryan Morgan, Matty Dawson, Jack Owens, Tommy Lee etc

They've had their fair share of average to poor signings.
[/quote

But importantly they have had more success

B
No straw damn us
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by No straw damn us »

Since Lenagan took over Wigan have won four superleage titles, two challenge cups and a World Club Challenge.

In that same period Saints have won three superleage titles, and two challenge cups.
fozzieskem
Posts: 4528
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by fozzieskem »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:06 pm Since Lenagan took over Wigan have won four superleage titles, two challenge cups and a World Club Challenge.

In that same period Saints have won three superleage titles, and two challenge cups.
But I'd argue saint's are still on an upward curve whereas wigan have stalled,for awhile at least
No straw damn us
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by No straw damn us »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:08 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:06 pm Since Lenagan took over Wigan have won four superleage titles, two challenge cups and a World Club Challenge.

In that same period Saints have won three superleage titles, and two challenge cups.
But I'd argue saint's are still on an upward curve whereas wigan have stalled,for awhile at least
Quite possibly but they have around seven players in or approaching their 30's including Roby, Lomax, Walmsley, LMS, Amour. It only takes one or two poor signings or major injuries as I highlighted previously to bring them back to the rest. It's happened to us, them and Leeds in recent history.
fozzieskem
Posts: 4528
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by fozzieskem »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:17 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:08 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:06 pm Since Lenagan took over Wigan have won four superleage titles, two challenge cups and a World Club Challenge.

In that same period Saints have won three superleage titles, and two challenge cups.
But I'd argue saint's are still on an upward curve whereas wigan have stalled,for awhile at least
Quite possibly but they have around seven players in or approaching their 30's including Roby, Lomax, Walmsley, LMS, Amour. It only takes one or two poor signings or major injuries as I highlighted previously to bring them back to the rest. It's happened to us, them and Leeds in recent history.
Yes I know but they have a nice crop of young lads ready to replace them in due course,they will win the grand final come Saturday of that I'm sure,the Roby issue has with the signing of Lussic been addressed and he like Lockers here was the main issue
No straw damn us
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by No straw damn us »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:20 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:17 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:08 pm

But I'd argue saint's are still on an upward curve whereas wigan have stalled,for awhile at least
Quite possibly but they have around seven players in or approaching their 30's including Roby, Lomax, Walmsley, LMS, Amour. It only takes one or two poor signings or major injuries as I highlighted previously to bring them back to the rest. It's happened to us, them and Leeds in recent history.
Yes I know but they have a nice crop of young lads ready to replace them in due course,they will win the grand final come Saturday of that I'm sure,the Roby issue has with the signing of Lussic been addressed and he like Lockers here was the main issue
I'm not sure about that. Look at the forwards stats from yesterday. Walmsley 184 metres, then Lees 51 metres, Roby 86 metres, Knowles 47 metres, Batchelor 88 metres and Matautia 93 metres.

Walmsley apart it's ok but not great.
ddtftf
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by ddtftf »

I am confused with paying to the salary cap limit as a few players i know who have left say Wigan are one of the worst payers in the RL that is why Tom Davis went to Catalans he was on peanuts at Wigan it was the only reason he left so i am confused with paying better wages to young players
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2138
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

One point about Saints and Catalans is that the salary cap is a gross cap, and so Catalans can pay net a fair bit more as their income tax is lower, while McManus has a background in financial planning which could help people get more from eg image rights, being directors of companies, overseas tax arrangements. I am not suggesting he is, just throwing it out there when it comes to a question of “they seem to be able to afford to pay more...”,
Post Reply