This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by moto748 »

Mike wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:41 pm
Nah, they peaked the season before last. They're on a downward curve IMO.
They may be, but they are still well above Wigan. If we have a 'proper' season next year, we clearly need to improve a lot on this year's showing, or we'll be scrapping around at the bottom of the table.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:42 pm
pedro wrote: Catalans can pay more also, due to the Euro being strong they get more for their buck
Why? Surely you just convert £2.1m to Euros at whatever rate is chosen at the time. So today that would be about €2.45m.

So they get exactly the same bang for their buck.

The only advantage they would get is if the value of the £ crashed and the exchange rate hasn’t fluctuated much in recent years. It’s about the same now as it was in 2018.
its wasnt though, it was set when the cap was raised when the euro wasnt as strong, the cap doesnt move all year when the euro does
It doesn't move by much and in any case if the players live in France they are spending Euros not pounds. So the cost of living in France dictates how lucrative or not a contract with Les Cats is.

I don't know when they fix the cap but if the pound is weak and the cap is £2.1m converted they get fewer Euros to spend anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:15 am
pedro wrote:
Why? Surely you just convert £2.1m to Euros at whatever rate is chosen at the time. So today that would be about €2.45m.

The only advantage they would get is if the value of the £ crashed and the exchange rate hasn’t fluctuated much in recent years. It’s about the same now as it was in 2018.
its wasnt though, it was set when the cap was raised when the euro wasnt as strong, the cap doesnt move all year when the euro does
It doesn't move by much and in any case if the players live in France they are spending Euros not pounds. So the cost of living in France dictates how lucrative or not a contract with Les Cats is.

I don't know when they fix the cap but if the pound is weak and the cap is £2.1m converted they get fewer Euros to spend anyway.

Heard the players live in Spain cheaper living than France.?
pedro

Post by pedro »

pedro wrote:

with that logic the cost of living says we can spend more than Leeds as its cheaper to live here than there? or is 80k ...80k?
pedro

Post by pedro »

pedro wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:53 pm One point about Saints and Catalans is that the salary cap is a gross cap, and so Catalans can pay net a fair bit more as their income tax is lower, while McManus has a background in financial planning which could help people get more from eg image rights, being directors of companies, overseas tax arrangements. I am not suggesting he is, just throwing it out there when it comes to a question of “they seem to be able to afford to pay more...”,
Catalans can pay more also, due to the Euro being strong they get more for their buck

no, the rate was set when the cap was set

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/pa ... in-league/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jaws1 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 am
pedro wrote:

Heard wrong I’m afraid especially with Sam Tomkins! He lives outside of Perpignan in a village with his wife Charlotte & his three, soon to be four children & two Doberman’s. 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:06 pm
jaws1 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:15 am It doesn't move by much and in any case if the players live in France they are spending Euros not pounds. So the cost of living in France dictates how lucrative or not a contract with Les Cats is.

Heard wrong I’m afraid especially with Sam Tomkins! He lives outside of Perpignan in a village with his wife Charlotte & his three, soon to be four children & two Doberman’s. 😊
Is one of the Dobermans named Joel?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:12 pm
jaws1 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 am Heard the players live in Spain cheaper living than France.?
😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
pedro wrote: its wasnt though, it was set when the cap was raised when the euro wasnt as strong, the cap doesnt move all year when the euro does

with that logic the cost of living says we can spend more than Leeds as its cheaper to live here than there? or is 80k ...80k?
Not sure what your point is. In the U.K. the biggest difference in cost of living is between the north and south generally with London being stupidly expensive these days and if I recall correctly London Broncos got a slightly larger cap to compensate when they were in SL.

If living in France costs more than here then a salary cap converted from pounds to Euros won’t go as far. Especially if the pound is weak when the conversion is done.

Knowing how daft RL is run it wouldn’t surprise me if they have a fixed amount of Euros as the cap for France and how much that is worth in comparison depends on fluctuations in the currency markets.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jobo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:12 pm
jaws1 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:59 am Heard the players live in Spain cheaper living than France.?
No, R Sole.