Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Briers has to be the most inspired coaching appointment surely?

Wane is obviously our safety net, O'Loughlin is very much still learning which leaves Peet......

Peets coaching history and long association with the club reads well, but it's a long way off reading as head coach for me.

I'm trying to retain a balanced view because ultimately he hasn't had a head coach role before or implemented his philosophy for the new season yet. That said, there are assistant coaches and assistant coaches who step up (such as Maguire under Bellamy).

Shaun Wane's role might prove to be crucial come the end of the season.
Fan4Fifty

Re: Wigan Warriors’ shock new coaching staff announced

Post by Fan4Fifty »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:43 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:31 pm I knew of Matty Peet & Sean O’Loughlin when we played Warrington in July & congratulated them both before the game 😊

Good Luck to the new coaching set up 🏉🍒⚪️❤️

Well done Dan on the Lee Briers appointment 👏🏼
I also knew about peet and lockers said on another thread it wasn't Wane. Not over moon with peet seen a lot of his coaching over years at amateur level but like everyone else he deserves the chance and will get my full support. Over moon with briers. We can only hope a new half back is on horizon.
So presumably when IL said at the Fans Forum that no decisions had been made about the coaching staff he was being very economical indeed with the truth, which I find pretty disappointing.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:31 pm I knew of Matty Peet & Sean O’Loughlin when we played Warrington in July & congratulated them both before the game 😊

I also knew about peet and lockers said on another thread it wasn't Wane. Not over moon with peet seen a lot of his coaching over years at amateur level but like everyone else he deserves the chance and will get my full support. Over moon with briers. We can only hope a new half back is on horizon.
So presumably when IL said at the Fans Forum that no decisions had been made about the coaching staff he was being very economical indeed with the truth, which I find pretty disappointing.
I think he may have implied that it wasn’t fully completed 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

Have to say I'm fairly happy with that . Quite a youngish team other than the silverback. The assistants look promising, if SOH and LB cant offer advice on forward and back play we are all buggered. All I ask is the LB can inflict the pain on other teams he did on us when at Stains and Wire ........
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Peet: I've got the dream job at Wigan

New Wigan Warriors head coach Matt Peet says he has the dream job' after being promoted to succeed Adrian Lam.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... b-at-wigan
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

More than happy tbh Briers is just what's needed to push the fo taste of them era out of our minds as for Peet we'll I give him time before I reach for my pitchfork
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm

Was thinking the very same thing when reading recent forum posts on a couple of subjects . Pretty disappointing is an understatement.

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Could be a great combination, best of luck to them all. I'm sure we'll see an improvement next season despite the squad looking weaker on paper.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm surprised I thought i would be more unhappy with Peet but looking at the team if we can get a half sorted I'm looking forward to next year.

Peet turned our defence around and as long as the defence is good you have a good starting point.

Lockers Impressed me when I was at matches, I've seen plenty of assistants run on relay a message and then run off, lockers wasn't he was explaining the plan and directing the younger players. You saw it the best when we beat catalan at home.

Briers is a fresh outlook and he always had vision on the field at Wire, we make the joke about it always being wires year but one thing that cannot be denied is when wire are in the mood they can play some exciting rugby. Hopefully we should see a improvement in attack.

Wane could be a very could piece of business, the ability to motivate a team is second to none and if he can instill that Wigan pride back in the team we could see player run their blood to water for the club again.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CherryB

Post by CherryB »

I can't see that anything will improve next year. Wane will ensure that we play the same boring rugby that we did when he was here. Peet may do well, but it is a big gamble. We needed someone with more of a pedigree, another Madge perhaps, to drag us out of what has been a desperately poor few years.