Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by widdenoldboy »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm Well, the new team has delivered for me already.
Appointed yesterday and I got £10 cheque from the Wigan Lottery today :D :D
Get the beer in 😀
:lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:56 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:31 pm I think a lot of people are focusing on Briers because they know the club is desperately in need of new ideas and given Peet and Wane are both associated with the current issues people see, he's the glimmer of hope.

There would be nothing to cheer about without Briers appointment and I think plenty of people are excusing the appointment of Peet and the return of Wane based on Briers joining the coaching staff. They are ignoring whether he will be any good in the job. Which to be fair we don't know and will have to wait and see but really I think Briers has deflected a lot of flak for Peet being appointed head coach.
Briers and Lockers are intended to deflect the flak.
Why would they need to excuse the appointment of Peet?

6 out of 7 grand final wins with the academy, fixed out defence on his return as assistant, has relevant qualifications.

People would be foaming at the mouth is it was announced that a Aussie assistant who was responsible for a clubs brilliant defence and when coaching the reserves won 6 out of 7 finals was coming on board.

Give the guy a chance.
Why would you not need to excuse it? Because it’s uninspiring. He’s associated with he current dross performances and has no experience outside of Wigan so what new thinking can he bring?

Even the club don’t think he’s good enough to handle it on his own hence Wane coming back.

Briers doesn’t have that baggage so looking around on places like Facebook a lot of the focus on on this being a good appointment.

As to six or seven junior finals being brought up as significant this is getting silly. His appointment is being justified on the back of coaching teenagers! Good grief.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:36 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:56 pm

Briers and Lockers are intended to deflect the flak.
Why would they need to excuse the appointment of Peet?

6 out of 7 grand final wins with the academy, fixed out defence on his return as assistant, has relevant qualifications.

People would be foaming at the mouth is it was announced that a Aussie assistant who was responsible for a clubs brilliant defence and when coaching the reserves won 6 out of 7 finals was coming on board.

Give the guy a chance.
Why would you not need to excuse it? Because it’s uninspiring. He’s associated with he current dross performances and has no experience outside of Wigan so what new thinking can he bring?

Even the club don’t think he’s good enough to handle it on his own hence Wane coming back.

Briers doesn’t have that baggage so looking around on places like Facebook a lot of the focus on on this being a good appointment.

As to six or seven junior finals being brought up as significant this is getting silly. His appointment is being justified on the back of coaching teenagers! Good grief.
You have added the club don't think he's good enough, you could claim its reading between the lines but it isn't a factual statement unless someone says Peet isn't good enough.

And current dross, he came back part way through Lams Tenure and fixed a big issue at the time (defence). He went to sale didn't he ;)

I'm not saying he's the best around but this stupid dismissing out of hand for no other reason than he's from the club is in my opinion moronic.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

stevethegas wrote:We have to view this team with optimism. I'm very pleased with this set up, full of potential.
Concern raised over Peet not having first team experience, but then neither had Mike Maguire, and he did well for us.
There's a lot of support and ideas, and this is a team which could get their ideas into reality.
Looking forward to next season already.
Separately I shall be a Catalan fan on Saturday!
Maguire did have first team experience. He acted as head coach when his boss was away on representative duty. He also worked under a top coach whereas Peet has worked with Wane and Lam who both delivered dour rugby and it seems he wasn’t able to influence this. With Wane back it’s got to be a concern Wane is going to interfere. I also don’t see any other top team appointing a coach who needs his hand holding.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

saint wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:35 pm
stevo38 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 am too many chefs in a very unorganised kitchen .how long is peets contract ?
About 3 home defeats in a row !
No way, IL never sacks a coach. He's here for the length of his contract.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

stevo38 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 am too many chefs in a very unorganised kitchen .how long is peets contract ?
About 3 home defeats in a row ! I’m not hear to take the Mick but I see Wigan in a hole . The managerial options appear at face value as a blinkered vision or the only option available for financial reasons or whatever . The managerial set up clearly , or rather from the outside looking in lacking any sort of ambition , to me it is let’s give it a go with the safety net If SW . I do not believe for one minute , MP would be to comfortable with Wane breathing down his neck . Who has the autonomy over coaching decisions . I can only envisage chaos . Maybe it won’t be chaos though , maybe it runs smooth . If so , look at that squad ! It’s nothing short of a disgrace by Wigan standards . The ‘Pack ‘ is non existent . I hand on heart hope I’m wrong because I’m a rugby league fan and I do not want Any club succumb to problems let alone the like of Wigan . But you really need to look at Widnes , Bradford and so on . For the last number of years You have been nose diving . I said it In previous post the only saving grace is the league is crap . looking on to next year, the squad looks extremely fragile , the coaching staff , well who knows but if I was a betting man I’d put money on a worsening scenario that you are currently in and that would be a disaster for Wigan and rugby league as a hole . I hope I’m wrong .
And yet, but for the worlds flukiest try we'd have beaten the glorious Stains in both meaningful comps last season. You needed a one-off random game to win anything. You must be just as shit.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
saint

Post by saint »

Mike wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:14 pm
About 3 home defeats in a row ! I’m not hear to take the Mick but I see Wigan in a hole . The managerial options appear at face value as a blinkered vision or the only option available for financial reasons or whatever . The managerial set up clearly , or rather from the outside looking in lacking any sort of ambition , to me it is let’s give it a go with the safety net If SW . I do not believe for one minute , MP would be to comfortable with Wane breathing down his neck . Who has the autonomy over coaching decisions . I can only envisage chaos . Maybe it won’t be chaos though , maybe it runs smooth . If so , look at that squad ! It’s nothing short of a disgrace by Wigan standards . The ‘Pack ‘ is non existent . I hand on heart hope I’m wrong because I’m a rugby league fan and I do not want Any club succumb to problems let alone the like of Wigan . But you really need to look at Widnes , Bradford and so on . For the last number of years You have been nose diving . I said it In previous post the only saving grace is the league is crap . looking on to next year, the squad looks extremely fragile , the coaching staff , well who knows but if I was a betting man I’d put money on a worsening scenario that you are currently in and that would be a disaster for Wigan and rugby league as a hole . I hope I’m wrong .
And yet, but for the worlds flukiest try we'd have beaten the glorious Stains in both meaningful comps last season. You needed a one-off random game to win anything. You must be just as shit.
You have to get to the one off random game in the first place .and if you have the ability to win those you win the prize . Is that not the idea ? If that makes us shit than I accept your premise . Yes you could have beaten us , that is correct !
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Well here we have it folks!!

We have THE best coaching team at Wigan for over 14 years
Wigan Warriors Chairman Ian Lenagan has described the new Coaching Team as ‘the best’ in his 14 years at the Club.
https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/10/ ... aitD3xN9M

If this isn't more over-hyped rubbish masquerading as "we couldn't be arsed to find better" then we know why the club's going down the pan

FFS they haven't even played a game but this is the "best ever". Let's hope he isn't forced to intervene mid-season and sack someone :roll:, There is absolutely no reason for such hyperbole
Back by demand.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

buttmonkey2 wrote:Well here we have it folks!!

Wigan Warriors Chairman Ian Lenagan has described the new Coaching Team as ‘the best’ in his 14 years at the Club.

If this isn't more over-hyped rubbish masquerading as "we couldn't be arsed to find better" then we know why the club's going down the pan

FFS they haven't even played a game but this is the "best ever". Let's hope he isn't forced to intervene mid-season and sack someone :roll:, There is absolutely no reason for such hyperbole
What are IL and Rads smoking? Clubb one of the best signings in ten years, Clark most devastating forward etc. Now this.

Do they believe their own propaganda?

I get it they want to be positive but honestly the fans know the score. Who are they trying to kid?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:30 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote:Well here we have it folks!!

What are IL and Rads smoking? Clubb one of the best signings in ten years, Clark most devastating forward etc. Now this.

Do they believe their own propaganda?

I get it they want to be positive but honestly the fans know the score. Who are they trying to kid?
I just wish they wouldn’t come out with all this! I hate over exaggerating in anything more so in sport!
It’s egg on all their faces if it doesn’t work. Just be modest about things. I will still support the club without all the razzmatazz!

It’s the same when the club do all these “special” game days! I can’t remember if we ever won any! Bring a friend for free, retro shirt day, the Big One for examples!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan