Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
buttmonkey2

Re: Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:38 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm This all hinges on how much influence Briers ends up with because Wane and Peet are part of the problem.
In your opinion,
I had heard that Peet was a bit of a "hairdryer" with some of the younger players. George Williams is reported privately as saying he had been informed of the clubs plans to install Peet as the next coach and refused to be a part of the "alleged" scenarios that occurred in his first spell

How much confidence Wigan have with these coaches depends on the length of contracts given
Back by demand.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm This all hinges on how much influence Briers ends up with because Wane and Peet are part of the problem.
In your opinion, however I like this talk

On joining Wigan, Lee Briers said:

“I’m really excited for the challenge – it’s what dreams are made of. Wigan is a massive Rugby League Club in anybody’s eyes so to be asked to come and coach here is special.

“I’m really looking forward to working alongside the staff here. We’re all focused on one thing and that’s making Wigan attractive winners again. We’re on the same wavelength, we’re all aligned and we’re looking forward to the job.”
I think you will find it’s most people’s opinion. It’s really not credible to suggest Wane wasn’t responsible for the dour RL his teams played and that Peet who has been here 13 years is not tarred with the same brush.

It all hinges on the influence Briers can exert as there is absolutely nothing to suggest Wane and Peet have the answer.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Hope somebody from the club take LB to the shops for a decent haircut and clothes before next season.Or we may take him for some one selling the big issue
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:38 pm
In your opinion, however I like this talk

On joining Wigan, Lee Briers said:

“I’m really excited for the challenge – it’s what dreams are made of. Wigan is a massive Rugby League Club in anybody’s eyes so to be asked to come and coach here is special.

“I’m really looking forward to working alongside the staff here. We’re all focused on one thing and that’s making Wigan attractive winners again. We’re on the same wavelength, we’re all aligned and we’re looking forward to the job.”
Seem to remember Lam saying something similar.............. :roll: :roll:
HDS

Post by HDS »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:29 pm I am not concerned about the coaching appointments I am more worried about the players they have got to work with. I expect the coaching team to get an extra 20% out of the current squad but I don’t think that will be enough to achieve silverware.
I am quite pleased that SW is involved again, some fans criticize his brand of rugby but lets start winning games before we start worrying about playing eye catching rugby. I feel we do need another half back and another experienced prop. Also a centre with one of them a good goal kicker if possible!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I really really hope I am wrong, but I am not convinced a 37 year old, untested head coach is what Wigan need at the moment.

I know SW will have some "influence" (the BBC have him in charge...), but I'm not sure.

FWIW I quite liked SW as head coach, but clearly there was a reason why he left in the first place.

We needed an experienced coach with no previous links to Wigan imo.

As I said above, I hope I am wrong.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think the worst aspect of this is having Wane back.

He won’t be able to keep his nose out and it says to me the club lacks confidence in Peet.

If Peet is good enough to coach Wigan him and Briers should be left to get on with it. They should not need Wane looking over their shoulder. If the club feel Peet is not good enough without Wane being around the club should have appointed someone who was.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Anyone know length of Peet’s contract?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan’s new Head Coach: Matt Peet

On Tuesday afternoon, Matt Peet was unveiled as the Wigan Warriors Head Coach. Let’s get to know the new boss…

A Wiganer born and bred, Matt Peet has been part of Wigan history for over 13 years in a range of coaching roles. Peet started his coaching career in the amateur game with Westhoughton and Wigan St Patricks before a move to Wigan in 2008 as a Scholarship Coach.

In a similar path to Shaun Wane, Peet has progressed through the ranks in his coaching career within the Club. In 2009, he was named Under-20s Assistant Coach, alongside his role as the Club’s Education Department Head Coach.

In 2011, he was appointed as Under-18s Head Coach, overseeing players such as Ryan Sutton, Oliver Gildart, George Williams and Lewis Tierney in the early stages of their great careers.

His rise continued in 2012 as he became the Club’s Performance Coach, a role that went alongside a new occupation as Head of Youth Performance in 2013. In charge of overseeing the Club’s Academy and Junior programmes, helping to produce players for the first team and the rest of the game.

The Academy side enjoyed incredible success during his time at the helm, winning the Grand Final six times over a seven-season stint between 2013-2019 and Peet is still heavily involved with the youngsters in the team today.

During this period, Peet was also appointed as the England Academy Assistant Coach in 2014 – a role he remained in for three years, including the tour of Australia in 2016.

2018 saw a change of scenery for Matt Peet, departing Wigan and crossing codes to join Sale Sharks as the Club’s Head of performance for a year before returning to the Warriors in 2019 as first team assistant coach, tasked primarily with coaching defence.

Now, Peet is Head Coach of the Wigan Warriors first team.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/10/ ... matt-peet/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Read the announcement but cannot see length of contract for Peets appointment