Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Next season

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exactly DaveO’s point none of what was said there is playing to Powell’s strengths it’s just covering for him

His strengths as I see them are defence (though this is questionable flopping on at 3rd man to me isn’t stellar defence) and he plays 80mins

Other than that I can’t see anyone making a case for another strength

He can’t run - his passing is slow - and he has no kicking game. Rememebr he was brought into cover an injured hooker he was always meant to be a halfback wane even gave him a chance at being a half back again if you remember in 2018 he was given the 7 jersey - and he was so poor there they had to abandon the experiment and limit the damage by putting him back at 9

Since then he’s remained completely unchallenged

I get why people want Powell to be good enough - he’s seems like a proper nice lad and a consummate professional. This isn’t enough though despite what rads thinks
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:30 pm Exactly DaveO’s point none of what was said there is playing to Powell’s strengths it’s just covering for him

His strengths as I see them are defence (though this is questionable flopping on at 3rd man to me isn’t stellar defence) and he plays 80mins

He can’t run - his passing is slow - and he has no kicking game. Rememebr he was brought into cover an injured hooker he was always meant to be a halfback wane even gave him a chance at being a half back again if you remember in 2018 he was given the 7 jersey - and he was so poor there they had to abandon the experiment and limit the damage by putting him back at 9

I get why people want Powell to be good enough - he’s seems like a proper nice lad and a consummate professional. This isn’t enough though despite what rads thinks
Matty Peet interview on Wigan TV says they will target underperforming players to up their game he mentioned 3 players by name Powell, Partington and Smithies.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

jaws1 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:03 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:30 pm Exactly DaveO’s point none of what was said there is playing to Powell’s strengths it’s just covering for him

Matty Peet interview on Wigan TV says they will target underperforming players to up their game he mentioned 3 players by name Powell, Partington and Smithies.
And all 3 of those players named clearly went backwards last season,the younger lads without question I think Peet will make or break them either way this time next year I suspect we will know.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I agree with alot of this post however
the Powell is mainly 3rd man is just not true.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:03 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:54 pm How do you play to Powell’s strengths when his strength is defending and nothing else?
Ensuring your attacking structures and strategy don’t need a fast hooker who scoots or one that doesn’t step out much?

Not every team has an attacking hooker.

It’s a very strong benefit but not a pre requisite to success. We’ve won a grand final with him…

His limitations have just been highlighted more than ever because of our poor attack this year. If we had great structure, optional runners, Hastings and smith creating space, then you can get away with Powell not having that to his game.
None of that is playing to his strengths. It’s just covering his weaknesses. The opposition don’t really have to worry about him so it’s easier to close down our players who do offer a threat so it’s not all about him either but the effect him being in the side has on the rest of the team.

As a 9 he also gets the ball at acting half back a lot and his with his distribution being so ponderous he’s part of the reason the attack is so poor, not a victim of it. So what do we do about this? Tell someone else to be the AHB instead? Then Powell would just be a passenger.
I suppose I was referring to mitigating against his weaknesses.

I am not a Powell fan but my point is that an attacking hooker is not pre requisite to success, it just really helps.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

It does matter when you have another pivot as slow as TL. Put them both together which means the attack has no pace and cannot create overlaps.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It’s all a question of balance in the key positions - if we get a creative halfback, and Shorrocks plays as a ball playing 13, then we could have a mix of 1 French (runner) 6 new playmaker 7 smith (all round) or Field (runner) 9 Powell (tackler) 13 Shorrocks (ball player) - which could work just about.

But, we can’t have Leuluai and Powell in the spine of the same team, as we will never score any points.

I am interested to see Peet single out Powell and Partington - I completely agree with that, but think it’s a lack of talent rather than form - though I think Smithies has something about him, and thought he showed some glimmers…
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Powell will always be a good defender but that’s it. Partington gives nothing less than 100% every time he plays, but where do you play him, not big enough for a prop and lacks the ball playing skills needed for a 13.

Smithies needs to run outside more but to do that we need a half who can create space for the back row. Our season depends on signing a good solid experienced half as the jury is still out on Field but he looks small probably why he is supposed to be very quick.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:20 am Powell will always be a good defender but that’s it. Partington gives nothing less than 100% every time he plays, but where do you play him, not big enough for a prop and lacks the ball playing skills needed for a 13.

Smithies needs to run outside more but to do that we need a half who can create space for the back row. Our season depends on signing a good solid experienced half as the jury is still out on Field but he looks small probably why he is supposed to be very quick.
Trouble is that’s all Field seems to be,quick again no one knows where to play him at this point you can’t even go as far as asking a jury because no one knows really :D
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:12 am

I agree with alot of this post however
the Powell is mainly 3rd man is just not true.
thats Byrnes speciality, if he ever gets to the tackle