Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Re: Next season

Post by The booze hound »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:44 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:26 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:50 pm Regardless of a cheap option or not, if Peet is able to have full control and has his own style, it might work out well. Wane over his shoulder helps massively for me!
Doesn't the second sentence complete contradict the first? How can he have his own style with Wane over his shoulder?

If Peet needs Wane help he's not ready to be a head coach and should never have been given the job. Him and Briers are either capable of dong the job on their own or they are not the right team to lead Wigan. It's like Wigan have employed Peet with a view to him having on the job training mentored by Wane. This should not be happening at a club as big as Wigan. We should be seeking the best coaches and if that means recruiting coaches from outside the club form now until the end of time, that's what it should be doing.
I wondered whether the reason Wane isn't head coach is so that he can keep the England gig
Doubt that is linked. Wellens at Stains doing a similair thing, for me it is not a conflict of interest.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

It’s not the fact it’s a conflict of interest as of such but didn’t England say they wanted their coach to be a full time coach - I.e they couldn’t be a full time head coach of at club level but could do a light club role
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
CherryB

Post by CherryB »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:34 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:15 pm Well it looks like the league is going to be restructured
Relegation drama for 2022
The bottom three teams in Super League could be relegated at the end of 2022 to accommodate the new system of two divisions of 10 from 2023. Leading Championship clubs are pushing to ensure that a promotion spot remains available next season – with a proposal on the table that the Championship winners would play-off against the team that finishes third bottom in Super League for a place in the top flight the following year.
Three (3) teams to be relegated!!!

Wigan best get off to a flyer or it's a relegation battle

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ru ... eLrKsWM5EI
Will a 10 team league result in more money for those 10 and less overall for the teams below?

If so, it’s obviously a sign of focusing on the 10 best teams and quality over quantity of teams.

If that’s the case, why keep a salary cap?
If the salary cap is lifted, we are going to be in real trouble. We are in no financial position to pay the current wages. If the cap is lifted we will fall further behind Wire, Stains and Leeds. Or we will end up financially ruined.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

I’m not convinced this format is the right thing to do - share the money between 10 teams and then 9, 8….

Get it chicken n egg stuff with finances but the league is shrinking in my view and not good for the future.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Not when the NRL is expanding the amount of teams to 17!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:03 pm I am optimistic, as I think a lot of the problems we had came from the lack of coaching, and, I suspect a lack of buy in to the coach’s way of doing things. I think our pack will be fine. We will have better props, and our young forwards still have plenty of improvement in them. In the backs, IL has told us that they are looking and have money for a half back (Benni Marshall is free...), and so I will wait and see what they come up with. Clearly, Peel is a fantastic defence coach, and his Academy teams scored a lot of points, so he must have some understanding of attacking play.

Peet to steer the ship, Wane to terrify everyone into lifting their standards and understanding what it means to beat Saints, and Briers to come up with some attacking plays. There is a logic to it, we just need that halfback they promised...
Good idea Exiled. Instead of Tommy going around again get Benji. 😄
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:15 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm

He’s retiring!
He'd fit right in here at the Wigan Warriors retirement home for older players. Or is he too young for us?
He’s not too young, he’s just too good. We only keep older players who aren’t very good.
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Might have been covered, but does anyone know what the situation is with Hankison? Do we know if he is returning to the Warriors for 2022?
culinator

Post by culinator »

For me personally, im willing to give the coaching team a chance to prove us wrong, they deserve that at least.

In the back of my mind am i optimistic about it, no.

I see lots of stats trying to save what was a pretty awful season (with the odd sparkle here and there, lets not forget) and most now are forgetting the amount of games we played compared to most other teams, when that is included it makes the stats look a lot worse.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:26 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:50 pm Regardless of a cheap option or not, if Peet is able to have full control and has his own style, it might work out well. Wane over his shoulder helps massively for me!
Doesn't the second sentence complete contradict the first? How can he have his own style with Wane over his shoulder?

If Peet needs Wane help he's not ready to be a head coach and should never have been given the job. Him and Briers are either capable of dong the job on their own or they are not the right team to lead Wigan. It's like Wigan have employed Peet with a view to him having on the job training mentored by Wane. This should not be happening at a club as big as Wigan. We should be seeking the best coaches and if that means recruiting coaches from outside the club form now until the end of time, that's what it should be doing.
Is it any different to director of rugby at other clubs?
Yes. At Leeds Sinfield is leaving because his role as directory of rugby it was an administrative role “I feel I’m too far away from the rugby and from performance.”

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... t-20837762