Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Next season

Post by No straw damn us »

I'd rather have Sam Powell any day than a headless chickenlike Brad Dwyer. Just have a look on RL Fans Leeds site for their opinions on Dwyer. He's another Mickey Higham only worse, if that's possible.
fozzieskem
Posts: 4528
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Next season

Post by fozzieskem »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:45 pm I'd rather have Sam Powell any day than a headless chickenlike Brad Dwyer. Just have a look on RL Fans Leeds site for their opinions on Dwyer. He's another Mickey Higham only worse, if that's possible.
Dwyer is awful as you say headless chicken is correct
DaveO
Posts: 15018
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Next season

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:I'd rather have Sam Powell any day than a headless chickenlike Brad Dwyer. Just have a look on RL Fans Leeds site for their opinions on Dwyer. He's another Mickey Higham only worse, if that's possible.
I’d rather we just had a decent hooker. Who cares if Leeds hooker isn’t good enough? We need a better hooker than Powell.

I hadn’t seen Peet singling players out and it’s a bit unusual for a coach to mention players specifically like that but if he’s recognised Powell needs to improve, great.

The snag is you can’t coach pace. He may be able to work on his ponderous distribution but if he if there no improvement it will be interesting to see if he drops him.
morley pie eater
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Next season

Post by morley pie eater »

Was Powell's distribution identified as ponderous when we were at the top or winning GFs?

I suspect that it looks ponderous as we seem to have first receivers who stand flat-footed and invite opposition defences to tackle them before they even reach the gain line. And that is a result of poor coaching rather than Powell's ponderousness (??? Note - check dictionary....ponderosity, ponderousness etc.)

To my admittedly untrained eye, this is one of the big differences between us and Saints. Their first receiver, Walmsley for example, takes the ball and hits the defensive line before it has chance to move up far. Relatively simple to practise on the training ground, I'd have thought. Yet we have seemed incapable of doing it for most of this season.
DaveO
Posts: 15018
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Next season

Post by DaveO »

I have certainly mentioned it in the past. Maybe we’d have won even more if it had been better.

It’s poor and all you need to do is watch him to see it. He even attempts a dummy from AHB which is crazy and fools no one. He is also slow not just because he’s slow at getting the ball away but the passes often loop and aren’t particularly accurate. For someone who came through as a half back you wonder why.

Not that I am any great advocate for Hankinson but if we shouldn’t have a centre just because he kicks goals we shouldn’t have a hooker just because he tackles.
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3073
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Next season

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:39 pm I have certainly mentioned it in the past. Maybe we’d have won even more if it had been better.

It’s poor and all you need to do is watch him to see it. He even attempts a dummy from AHB which is crazy and fools no one. He is also slow not just because he’s slow at getting the ball away but the passes often loop and aren’t particularly accurate. For someone who came through as a half back you wonder why.

Not that I am any great advocate for Hankinson but if we shouldn’t have a centre just because he kicks goals we shouldn’t have a hooker just because he tackles.
Powell only got picked up by Wigan at 18 years old along with Dom Crosby.

I played against them both in u18s against Pats and Hindley respectively before they got scouted.

I remember the game against Powell, he played great as a 7 and good kicking game but most of the quality players had already been snapped up by then.

Although, from memory we weren’t in the top league at that time so can only comment on what I played against.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Next season

Post by Barney841 »

DaveO wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:11 pm
No straw damn us wrote:I'd rather have Sam Powell any day than a headless chickenlike Brad Dwyer. Just have a look on RL Fans Leeds site for their opinions on Dwyer. He's another Mickey Higham only worse, if that's possible.
I’d rather we just had a decent hooker. Who cares if Leeds hooker isn’t good enough? We need a better hooker than Powell.

I hadn’t seen Peet singling players out and it’s a bit unusual for a coach to mention players specifically like that but if he’s recognised Powell needs to improve, great.

The snag is you can’t coach pace. He may be able to work on his ponderous distribution but if he if there no improvement it will be interesting to see if he drops him.
Never mind pace, awareness would be a good start and let’s be honest, that should be a natural instinct in a hooker.
A hooker isn’t just about passing the ball from the deck, it’s about catching the defence off guard and making some good yards or at best getting a penalty or set restart as the defence are on the back foot.
It baffles me how powell has never seemed to have fathomed that all the years he’s been playing there.
And before someone jumps in and says look at the pack he’s playing behind, just look how O’Neil played when he was at hooker playing behind the same pack
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2138
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Next season

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I just read an article in which Peet seemed to be suggesting that his big plan is to spend more time with the players on community issues. On the basis that we will enjoy being nilled more if we have seen the players in person, and that a lack of local connection is the issue. God help us, if they think that’s the way to go.
Caboosegg
Posts: 2827
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Next season

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:35 am I just read an article in which Peet seemed to be suggesting that his big plan is to spend more time with the players on community issues. On the basis that we will enjoy being nilled more if we have seen the players in person, and that a lack of local connection is the issue. God help us, if they think that’s the way to go.
If you remove your negative remarks out of it, is that not a good way to increase the fan base?
The Turkeys voted for Christmas.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices

George Orwell
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2138
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Next season

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If you remove your negative remarks out of it, is that not a good way to increase the fan base?
[/quote]

That’s the PR department’s job, not Peet’s. Essentially, when given a chance to explain his vision AS HEAD COACH, he came out with “we’ll be ace at giving awards out at local prize givings”.
Post Reply