Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Next season

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Like most seasons success or otherwise can be determined by injuries and suspensions.
We started off badly with injuries yet won the first seven games. As the season rolled on the injuries carried on and Lam's barnpot team selections and failure to rotate the players in the squad determined our poor performances and season.

When injuries do occur next season I'm sure we'll get a more intelligent use of the squad to put out the best available team which will mean more wins and a better season all round.
DaveO

Next season

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Like most seasons success or otherwise can be determined by injuries and suspensions.
We started off badly with injuries yet won the first seven games. As the season rolled on the injuries carried on and Lam's barnpot team selections and failure to rotate the players in the squad determined our poor performances and season.

When injuries do occur next season I'm sure we'll get a more intelligent use of the squad to put out the best available team which will mean more wins and a better season all round.
You might be right in the squad management question. It’s not hard to better Lam’s squad management but the $64,000 question is even if the new coaching team takes the radical option of playing players in their correct positions, is the quality of the team good enough to challenge for honours or even avoid relegation if it’s 3 down?

I know some think I am obsessed with Powell at no 9 but a test of the new coaching team will be to see if they recognise the problem and try alternatives which could be making O’Neil first choice 9 if he offers more.

I have my doubts on that and the quality of the players we have in the squad.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:41 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote:Like most seasons success or otherwise can be determined by injuries and suspensions.

You might be right in the squad management question. It’s not hard to better Lam’s squad management but the $64,000 question is even if the new coaching team takes the radical option of playing players in their correct positions, is the quality of the team good enough to challenge for honours or even avoid relegation if it’s 3 down?

I know some think I am obsessed with Powell at no 9 but a test of the new coaching team will be to see if they recognise the problem and try alternatives which could be making O’Neil first choice 9 if he offers more.

I don't think you're obsessed. I agree let's see if they recognise his pitfalls. I also have more than my doubts about squad as it stands and will say without doubt nowhere near a team that can compete with top of sl without recruiting a recognised halfback and goal kicker.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

:oops: hi

There is no way we will be relegated as for winning silverware I don’t think so.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Good old mid table mediocrity :lol:
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

PF Warrior wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:16 pm Might have been covered, but does anyone know what the situation is with Hankison? Do we know if he is returning to the Warriors for 2022?
He has another year's contract, he would solve the goalkicking and centre position think several on here dont rate him, see no change in this coming season

Last seasons loan detail was a crazy one in hindsight, so its anyone's guess

Interesting to note, the Warriors haven't publicity congratulated Hankinson on his player of the year award whilst on loan at London nothing on club website or social media?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Surely not! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, Dave, I for one have agreed with much of what you've said recently. (Though I still think it's perfectly valid to have Powell in a team if we play to his strengths and balance his weaknesses. The great Sh-yawn Edwards was protected when we were defending for his whole career.)
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

How do you play to Powell’s strengths when his strength is defending and nothing else?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:54 pm How do you play to Powell’s strengths when his strength is defending and nothing else?
Ensuring your attacking structures and strategy don’t need a fast hooker who scoots or one that doesn’t step out much?

Not every team has an attacking hooker.

It’s a very strong benefit but not a pre requisite to success. We’ve won a grand final with him…

His limitations have just been highlighted more than ever because of our poor attack this year. If we had great structure, optional runners, Hastings and smith creating space, then you can get away with Powell not having that to his game.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:54 pm How do you play to Powell’s strengths when his strength is defending and nothing else?
Ensuring your attacking structures and strategy don’t need a fast hooker who scoots or one that doesn’t step out much?

Not every team has an attacking hooker.

It’s a very strong benefit but not a pre requisite to success. We’ve won a grand final with him…

His limitations have just been highlighted more than ever because of our poor attack this year. If we had great structure, optional runners, Hastings and smith creating space, then you can get away with Powell not having that to his game.
None of that is playing to his strengths. It’s just covering his weaknesses. The opposition don’t really have to worry about him so it’s easier to close down our players who do offer a threat so it’s not all about him either but the effect him being in the side has on the rest of the team.

As a 9 he also gets the ball at acting half back a lot and his with his distribution being so ponderous he’s part of the reason the attack is so poor, not a victim of it. So what do we do about this? Tell someone else to be the AHB instead? Then Powell would just be a passenger.