Mitch Clark

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Mitch Clark

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Honestly, I think Botica was made to look a far better player than he was by the quality around him at the time. I can’t recall a single time he put a man through a gap. Though he could kick goals (ironically, we would still have won everything with no kicker at all...).
I don’t think I’ve ever read a more inaccurate assessment of Botica. He even persuaded John Monie that Mo Lindsay was right to sign him when Monie originally wanted Phil Blake. He started on the wing and became a fine stand off in his own right. He was also quick which is not an attribute you can ascribe to Smith and Tommy.

As to his goal kicking there must be nothing more demoralising then see every try you concede turn into six points. Scores like 18-0 are a lot harder to come back from than 12-0 with three tires conceded.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Mitch Clark

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally, I thought Clark looked fairly effective when appearing this season. His lack of appearances overall, obviously suggest it hasn't gone to plan. Wise to part company now before next season.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:14 pm Honestly, I think Botica was made to look a far better player than he was by the quality around him at the time. I can’t recall a single time he put a man through a gap. Though he could kick goals (ironically, we would still have won everything with no kicker at all...).
Your having a laugh think this is the most inaccurate post I have ever read on here he won more games than I care to remember was worth 12points a game. And as a player I remember many many games where he put players through gaps and went through them himself .
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:40 pm Personally, I thought Clark looked fairly effective when appearing this season. His lack of appearances overall, obviously suggest it hasn't gone to plan. Wise to part company now before next season.
Clark reminded me of Tauti, he made metre but it was 50/50 if he knocked on or not when he got the ball.

Granted that could have been due to lack of game fitness.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:05 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:51 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:22 am Does his salary / pay off count on next years cap? If so, not paving the way for anything is it?
Doesn't it reduce the oversea quota?
Good point!

Doesn’t that now mean we have filled every spot rather than having 1 spare?
Tommy, Ellis, Field, French, Mago, Miski, Isa
At one time, iirc, Tommy didn't count on the quota because he came through as a youngster in the UK. Was this cancelled when he went to NZ? Or have the rules changed?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:51 am

Doesn't it reduce the oversea quota?
Good point!

At one time, iirc, Tommy didn't count on the quota because he came through as a youngster in the UK. Was this cancelled when he went to NZ? Or have the rules changed?
I have tried to drill this down morley and can't find any change and as it stands now Tommy does not show on quota for 2022. Unless someone knows/can show different .
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:00 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:40 pm Personally, I thought Clark looked fairly effective when appearing this season. His lack of appearances overall, obviously suggest it hasn't gone to plan. Wise to part company now before next season.
Clark reminded me of Tauti, he made metre but it was 50/50 if he knocked on or not when he got the ball.

I think for me, Tautai was a squad prop who never going to outweigh our established forwards.

What confused me about Clark (this season), is he looked like a squad player who was actually needed and played well (during his limited spells).

Could very well be an Escare, Sammut, Hankinson situation with Clark.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:38 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 pm

Good point!

I have tried to drill this down morley and can't find any change and as it stands now Tommy does not show on quota for 2022. Unless someone knows/can show different .
Thanks kitdf.

It used to be "Federation trained" I think.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:

The thing I think Clark and Tauti have in common is they both had a good game v Wigan and we signed them. If I recall correctly Tauti played 2nd row v Wigan but Wigan played him at prop and he wasn’t anywhere near as effective.

It was a bit like signing FPN, the “wrecking ball” and then Wane asking him to play a completely different game than one that suited his strengths. Wigan have had a habit of doing this sort of thing.

As to Clark, clearly it wasn’t just Lam who didn’t rate him. The feedback from the fans forum was IL and Rads were a bit mystified by some of the selections so I half expected that meant Clark would be given a shot under the new coach but Peet must not rate him either.

That being so which means Clark has been a flop as far the Wigan management goes, what sanction has Radlinski suffered for signing him in the first place?