Laws changes for 2022

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Laws changes for 2022

Post by josie andrews »

The RFL Board has approved three changes to the Laws to apply for the 2022 season which were recommended by the September meeting of the Laws Committee: the return of scrums; the reversion of the ball steal rule to the 2020 position; and a requirement for injured players to be removed from the field of play for treatment.

Scrums

The committee recommended that scrums should return in 2022, in the expectation that vaccination rates across the professional game will be sufficiently high to significantly reduce the risk of close contacts causing disruption to the fixture list – a rate of 85% across the professional game by December 31, 2021.

Scrums were suspended in all domestic Rugby League as an “emergency law” when the sport returned in the summer of 2020 following the initial Covid-enforced lockdown, after the Laws Committee received advice that they would lead to numerous players being required to isolate as close contacts of positive cases.

The Laws Committee judged that remained the case when they reconsidered the situation before the 2021 season, while confirming the desire for scrums to return as soon as safely possible. But the availability and efficacy of vaccines have substantially changed that situation, with fully vaccinated players no longer required to isolate as close contacts and the risk of transmission and severity of illness being reduced for those who are vaccinated.

The Laws Committee heard evidence that vaccination rates are already approaching the 85% threshold that has been judged to be a reasonable – and that at a number of clubs, the rates are already in excess of 90%.

Clubs have been urged to encourage their players to ensure full vaccination by the end of 2021. In some cases – for example new overseas players, younger players, or those with recent Covid infections – a “statement of intent” would be accepted.

Scrums should also return in all community game settings.

The Laws Committee will continue to monitor the situation, with the ability to suspend scrums if the required vaccination rate isn’t achieved, or if community prevalence and/or Covid cases in the sport increase.

Ball Steal

At the start of 2021 season, a new ‘ball steal’ law was introduced bringing domestic laws in line with the NRL and the International game, whereby the ball could legally be stripped from the attacking player by a single defender even if other defenders had previously been involved in the tackle. However, stakeholders felt that this law had led to negative play, provided a negative look to the game and was very difficult to officiate.

Therefore, the Laws Committee recommended to the Board for approval that from the start of the 2022 season, the ball steal law reverts to its previous interpretation – where a ball can only be stripped from the attacking player in a one on one tackle.

Injured players

It is becoming increasingly noticeable that at key times in games, players are being treated on field for injury and the referee has no option but to stop the game. This has resulted in complaint from coaches, increased length of games and frustration from media and fans that the flow of the game is disrupted.

The Board hase therefore accepted a Laws Committee recommendation to adopt the NRL policy relating to injury stoppages. This will ensure the effective treatment of players remains a priority without encouraging gamesmanship whilst retaining an entertaining spectacle.

The Laws Committee meeting consisted of:

Dave Rotheram – RFL Chief On-Field Officer, Chair
Gavin Wild – RFL Compliance Manager, Secretariat
Ken Davy – Executive Chair, Super League Europe
Robert Hicks – RFL Head of Governance, Full-Time Match Official
Steve Ganson – Head of Match Officials
Paul Sculthorpe – England Performance Unit
Carl Hall – League 1 Clubs
Paul Harrison – Championship Clubs
Kris Radlinski – Super League Europe Clubs
Dave Woods – Media
Dr Gemma Phillips – Clinical Advisory Group
Laura Fairbank – RFL Head of Medical and Integrity
John Kear – Coaches

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/10/ ... -for-2022/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Laws changes for 2022

Post by Firestarter »

Im very happy with them 3 changes…. The scrums will allow some set plays with a reduced defencive line thank god…. The injury rule has been a joke this year and the ball steal rule was killing the game with prolonged video replays
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I haven't missed scrums they were used to slow the game and as they were almost always not contested they are pointless.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Pleased that the ball steal rule has gone back to the original. Not too concerned about the scrum rule so long as the players get on with it. I suppose it does group half of them into a small area and create some space elsewhere. I just wonder what they'll do for the World Cup though. The last thing we need is for the aussies to have another advantage.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

They have missed the most obvious one. After a set restart, all teams spend ages lying on the tackled player and ball while getting their defence into position, knowing that it will, at the worst, be another set restart and thus, no loss. If a penalty was awarded for transgressions on the first tackle after a set restart, then we might see more positive rugby being played.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:31 pm They have missed the most obvious one. After a set restart, all teams spend ages lying on the tackled player and ball while getting their defence into position, knowing that it will, at the worst, be another set restart and thus, no loss. If a penalty was awarded for transgressions on the first tackle after a set restart, then we might see more positive rugby being played.
good point i forgot that
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm I haven't missed scrums they where used to slow the game and as they where almost always not contested they are pointless.
Agreed and a very low % of scrums result in a try anyway so they’re pointless.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:07 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm I haven't missed scrums they where used to slow the game and as they where almost always not contested they are pointless.
Agreed and a very low % of scrums result in a try anyway so they’re pointless.
melbourne score quite a lot off scrums so maybe its just down to bad attack
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

But as someone who doesn't watch NRL games, can someone explain what the NRL injury protocol we are going to is all about.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Pleased with the return of scrums. Anyone who says they are pointless is disregarding the fact that NRL sides have shown how they can be a valuable attacking platform. What hasn't been made clear, as far as I can see, is whether scrums will be restricted to being for knock-ons only (as in the NRL), or for ball over the side-line as well. The ball-steal rule I'm much less bothered about one way or another. The injury protocol is a good thing, but even in the NRL it seems to work only imperfectly.