Laws changes for 2022

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Laws changes for 2022

Post by Mike »

I haven't missed scrums, although I accept they potentially add a different dimension to the game I just haven't noticed much difference in practice. I sort of liked not having them on balance.

Not bothered about the ball steal change, its 6 of one ... for me on that one.

I'd be interested in finding out exactly what the new injury protocols are. That's an area that definitely needs changing because we were ending up with players feigning injury rather than playing on when injured which is one of the things that game was known for. Its a balance because playing on with a head injury is potentially very dangerous, but we'd made it a clear advantage for someone to stay down rather than get up in many situations. By the sounds of it, we've not entirely solved that when players are looking for a video ref decision, but maybe that's addressed in the protocol?

Overall the changes sound fine to me. Of course we'll wait to find out what the traditional new refereeing interpretations are in the first round that ruin the game which are then dropped after round 4.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:39 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:07 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm I haven't missed scrums they where used to slow the game and as they where almost always not contested they are pointless.
Agreed and a very low % of scrums result in a try anyway so they’re pointless.
melbourne score quite a lot off scrums so maybe its just down to bad attack
What % of their scrums result in a try?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 pm

hang on ill just check………. Not
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

southportcdm wrote:Pleased that the ball steal rule has gone back to the original
The “original” was you could just steel it whenever. The one on one was the first new rule as regards the ball steal. The original was better. The attacker had to keep hold of the ball and you got another more common opportunity for a turnover of possession.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's almost like you don't believe what you are being told...
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:52 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:39 pm melbourne score quite a lot off scrums so maybe its just down to bad attack
in one moto…… how many times have storm, rabbithos and the panthers scored or made loads of yards from scrums? It gives teams a chance for a set play without certain forwards getting in the way…… something our game has been missing massively
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:55 pm
moto748 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:52 pm

in one moto…… how many times have storm, rabbithos and the panthers scored or made loads of yards from scrums? It gives teams a chance for a set play without certain forwards getting in the way…… something our game has been missing massively
I just like to work with facts and figures where possible and not rely on hunches.

I recall a Sky Sports game last season at some point where Phil Clarke pulled up the stats for scoring from a scrum and it was very very low.

The whole point is supposed to be quick restart of the game and advantage to the attacking team.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Presumably Phil Clarke was talking about SL? Firestarter and I are talking about the NRL.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:48 pm
southportcdm wrote:Pleased that the ball steal rule has gone back to the original
The “original” was you could just steel it whenever. The one on one was the first new rule as regards the ball steal. The original was better. The attacker had to keep hold of the ball and you got another more common opportunity for a turnover of possession.
I think the argument at the time was that it restricted attackers from trying to offload, because they had to hang on to the ball above all else. I think if you brought back that rule now, many tackles would result in a planned wrestle for the ball with 3 v 1, or a surrender tackle. Even now, teams were occasionally setting up a good ball steal opportunity and then releasing all but the stealer. Tackle and wrestling technique has changed hugely since multi-person ball steals were allowed.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Certainly a good call RE: The Ball Steal! For me (the current rule), caused nothing but confusion and frustration!

Don't know anything statistical around scoring more trys with scrums? I'd take them or leave them. I do think the game is slightly faster without them though?

Player welfare is paramount! If this delays or extends the game length then so be it! Can't understand any complaints around this.