McDonnell wins Try of the Year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

McDonnell wins Try of the Year

Post by josie andrews »

James McDonnell scoops Try of the Year Award.

Terrific try came against Catalans Dragons in September.

McDonnell: “It’s my first try for Wigan and I’ve set the bar there pretty high.”

James McDonnell has won the Wigan Warriors Try of the Year for 2021.

The second rower’s outstanding effort against Catalans Dragons in September topped the vote by some margin.

McDonnell got the DW Stadium bouncing mid-way through the second half as he weaved his way through the Dragons defence and bounced off a defender in front of the posts to score his first senior try in Cherry and White.

The South Stand went crazy, with that try proving to be the difference as Wigan beat Catalans 12-8 and won their final regular season game against the league leaders.

Speaking on his try at the time, he said: “I’m honestly over the moon, it was my home debut last night and the first time my family have watched me play for Wigan so it was a massive day and a massive win.

“It’s my first try for Wigan and I’ve set the bar there pretty high, I don’t know if I’ll score many more and definitely not ones like that. It was nice quick hands from Harry (Smith), a bit of open space on the inside so I just got my head down and went for it.”

McDonnell looked to have been stopped just before the whitewash by Catalans’ Matt Whitley but the Warriors man did find his way over to complete a stylish move: “I felt like I’d been caught at that point, so I was ready to settle it but he bumped off and it opened up for me so I dived over.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/10/ ... -the-year/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
HDS

Re: McDonnell wins Try of the Year

Post by HDS »

looking forward to watching JM next season!!! Got a lot of potential!!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Re: McDonnell wins Try of the Year

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We seem to have no problem producing 2nd rowers... great try and looks to have all of the attributes to go a long way...