Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane has revealed that he turned down a number of offers to return to Wigan Warriors.

Wane was announced in a leadership role alongside the appointment of Matty Peet as head coach and Lee Briers and Sean O’Loughlin as assistants.

Speaking on his new role at Wigan, Wane said: “I’ll be watching training, advising the Coaching Staff, having a chat with the Physio’s, finding ways to make it better, getting players on the field more. I want to drill into the detail that everybody over-performs and as you know the more people who over-perform, the more things you win and that’s what I’m about.

I had a few offers and turned them all down but when this opportunity came it just felt right. I’ve got a lot of history with the Club as a player and a coach, it’s just a really good fit for me, my personality and what I enjoy doing.”

Wane gave special mention to the new head coach Peet: “I’ve mentored Matt for years, he’s great, a really good guy. He’s easy to get on with, very ambitious, he has a thirst for knowledge and he’s the only bloke I know that reads more than I do. He’s just very passionate, he’s obsessed with making a success of being a Coach and he’ll go the extra mile to make sure it happens.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/shaun-wa ... gan-44169/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Post by Mike »

Not sure I'd really like being given a promotion and then to have my old boss brought back into a position above me. Wouldn't feel like a promotion really - not a lot of room for growth. But we'll see how this pans out!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Hope it doesn't turn to rat shit, all the symptoms are there though.
Should be an interesting couple of seasons.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:Shaun Wane has revealed that he turned down a number of offers to return to Wigan Warriors.
Pity.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Mike wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:18 pm Not sure I'd really like being given a promotion and then to have my old boss brought back into a position above me. Wouldn't feel like a promotion really - not a lot of room for growth. But we'll see how this pans out!
Might be Wane is back to give Kris Radlinski a helping hand too.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jobo wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:58 am
Mike wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:18 pm Not sure I'd really like being given a promotion and then to have my old boss brought back into a position above me. Wouldn't feel like a promotion really - not a lot of room for growth. But we'll see how this pans out!
Might be Wane is back to give Kris Radlinski a helping hand too.
Out the door hopefully
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Stupid idea

What happens if peet for example thinks a player isn’t good enough but wane thinks they should play
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:11 pm Stupid idea

What happens if peet for example thinks a player isn’t good enough but wane thinks they should play
Peet Is the coach, mentoring doesn't mean he's coaching rugby it could be people management for example.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

He plays in the reserves.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:31 pm

Peet Is the coach, mentoring doesn't mean he's coaching rugby it could be people management for example.
Agreed. It has been made clear by IL that the coach picks the team. I do not see why it would change now?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."