Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Yea because we all know what a shrinking violet wane is
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:56 pm Yea because we all know what a shrinking violet wane is
That comment makes no sense unless Wanes remit involves actually coaching the team it has no impact how much of a shrinking violet or not he is.

There plenty to be concerned about without people making something out of nothing.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:05 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:56 pm Yea because we all know what a shrinking violet wane is
That comment makes no sense unless Wanes remit involves actually coaching the team it has no impact how much of a shrinking violet or not he is.

There plenty to be concerned about without people making something out of nothing.
So you think that Wane is the type of guy that won’t try and get involved and change things if he thinks peet isn’t doing the right thing? You think he’s going to bite his tongue and let peet do things his own way?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:59 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:05 pm

So you think that Wane is the type of guy that won’t try and get involved and change things if he thinks peet isn’t doing the right thing? You think he’s going to bite his tongue and let peet do things his own way?
If Wanes job isn't coaching then yes like like any job.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:05 pm That comment makes no sense unless Wanes remit involves actually coaching the team it has no impact how much of a shrinking violet or not he is.

Think you are being rather naive there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:36 am
Caboosegg wrote:

On what actual basis do people think Wane will not be able to stick to his job role?

We know he’s a tough coach who demands a lot and wants the basics done right and doesn’t shy away from things. But that doesn’t mean what’s being insinuated here.

It would be hypocritical for him to be complaining about people not following instructions and what’s asked of them if he cannot do it himself.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:11 am
Caboosegg wrote:

On what actual basis do people think Wane will not be able to stick to his job role?

We know he’s a tough coach who demands a lot and wants the basics done right and doesn’t shy away from things. But that doesn’t mean what’s being insinuated here.

It would be hypocritical for him to be complaining about people not following instructions and what’s asked of them if he cannot do it himself.
When Wane took over from Madge he was vocal about how he thought he could do things better. When Wane took over from Bennet again he was keen to point out he thought he could do things much better. These are statements from the man himself

i mean look at this quote takiong over from Bennett one of the best coaches ever

I’m very different to Wayne Bennett,” Wane said. “I don’t know all the details of what he did. He would have had his own reasons.

“I just thought in a few areas we could have been smarter, there would have been quite easy fixes.”

So Wane clearly thinks his way works, he has a couple of Grand Finals to suggest his way can work, do you really think that he will not interfere when he is in a position to do so when Peet isn't doing things he would do
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:48 am

When Wane took over from Madge he was vocal about how he thought he could do things better. When Wane took over from Bennet again he was keen to point out he thought he could do things much better. These are statements from the man himself

i mean look at this quote takiong over from Bennett one of the best coaches ever

I’m very different to Wayne Bennett,” Wane said. “I don’t know all the details of what he did. He would have had his own reasons.

“I just thought in a few areas we could have been smarter, there would have been quite easy fixes.”

So Wane clearly thinks his way works, he has a couple of Grand Finals to suggest his way can work, do you really think that he will not interfere when he is in a position to do so when Peet isn't doing things he would do
So by your logic that means he chipped in constantly when madge was here and madge was constantly undermined.

Having strong opinions and ideas does not automatically mean you are going to step outside your area of responsibility.

Hot new madge didn't do anything for Wigan it was Wane as he couldn't help himself. (Yes I'm aware how ridiculous that sounds but it's your logic)
Last edited by Caboosegg on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

There is no set formula for how to do things so I have no issue with such comments. I appreciate it could be perceived as arrogant but I’d be worried if a new coach saw no opportunity for improvement.

I just don’t see the parallel between those examples and the one with Wane and Pret and their roles.

I think it’s just people looking for issues that aren’t there and also just making things up based on a few comments and interviews without really know what Wane is and isn’t like as a person and to work with.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am

So by your logic that means he chipped in constantly when madge was here and madge was constantly undermined.

Having strong opinions and ideas does not automatically mean you are going to step outside your area of responsibility.

Hot new madge didn't do anything for Wigan it was Wane as he couldn't help himself. (Yes I'm aware how ridiculous that sounds but it's your logic)
Well no because in both of those examples Wane wasn't in a position to act on his thoughts - he was assistant to Madge therefore Madge was his boss - and he had no influence on Bennett

the key difference here is that he is in a position were he is either above Peet in this structure or at the very least equal so he can if he likes act on his frustrations furthermore you could argue it was be his job to do so as a senior member of staff

If Wane is going to have no influence then what's the point of him either being here?