Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:21 am
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:48 am

When Wane took over from Madge he was vocal about how he thought he could do things better. When Wane took over from Bennet again he was keen to point out he thought he could do things much better. These are statements from the man himself

i mean look at this quote takiong over from Bennett one of the best coaches ever

I’m very different to Wayne Bennett,” Wane said. “I don’t know all the details of what he did. He would have had his own reasons.

“I just thought in a few areas we could have been smarter, there would have been quite easy fixes.”

So Wane clearly thinks his way works, he has a couple of Grand Finals to suggest his way can work, do you really think that he will not interfere when he is in a position to do so when Peet isn't doing things he would do
So by your logic that means he chipped in constantly when madge was here and madge was constantly undermined.

Having strong opinions and ideas does not automatically mean you are going to step outside your area of responsibility.

Hot new madge didn't do anything for Wigan it was Wane as he couldn't help himself. (Yes I'm aware how ridiculous that sounds but it's your logic)
Well no because in both of those examples Wane wasn't in a position to act on his thoughts - he was assistant to Madge therefore Madge was his boss - and he had no influence on Bennett

the key difference here is that he is in a position were he is either above Peet in this structure or at the very least equal so he can if he likes act on his frustrations furthermore you could argue it was be his job to do so as a senior member of staff

If Wane is going to have no influence then what's the point of him either being here?
Maybe because they have different roles and responsibilities ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

In a perfect world peet will have us playing great attacking rugby with good defence and waney will come in to motivate the players….. fingers crossed this us how it works out but im not counting my chickens
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think you’re all picking things out so you can have a bloody moan seeing as is off season & nothing else to do
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:13 am I think you’re all picking things out so you can have a bloody moan seeing as is off season & nothing else to do
Pardon? I was being positive…….ish
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am So by your logic that means he chipped in constantly when madge was here and madge was constantly undermined.

Having strong opinions and ideas does not automatically mean you are going to step outside your area of responsibility.

Hot new madge didn't do anything for Wigan it was Wane as he couldn't help himself. (Yes I'm aware how ridiculous that sounds but it's your logic)
Well no because in both of those examples Wane wasn't in a position to act on his thoughts - he was assistant to Madge therefore Madge was his boss - and he had no influence on Bennett

the key difference here is that he is in a position were he is either above Peet in this structure or at the very least equal so he can if he likes act on his frustrations furthermore you could argue it was be his job to do so as a senior member of staff

If Wane is going to have no influence then what's the point of him either being here?
Does the point that some people don’t believe he will be able to keep his nose out really need to be laboured?

His job title is irrelevant and that seems to be the only thing those who think he won’t interfere can point to.

He is a very forceful and opinionated character as was illustrated by his comments on Madge and Bennet. I think it’s just naive to think he won’t interfere.

If I was Peet I certainly wouldn’t want him stood watching from the sidelines regardless of what title the club gave him.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:00 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:

Does the point that some people don’t believe he will be able to keep his nose out really need to be laboured?

His job title is irrelevant and that seems to be the only thing those who think he won’t interfere can point to.

He is a very forceful and opinionated character as was illustrated by his comments on Madge and Bennet. I think it’s just naive to think he won’t interfere.

If I was Peet I certainly wouldn’t want him stood watching from the sidelines regardless of what title the club gave him.
I'm with you. They can give him any job title they want to make up he is there for one reason only. He can't and won't be able to stand back think KR/IL think where as gullible as they are.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:00 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:

Peet and Wane are big mates they go back a long way. There will be no issues between the two of them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

For me, without stating the obvious, I would think the relationship between Peet and Wane will simply be based on results.

It's not a case of 'Thatcher being a good back seat driver'. I imagine if Wane wanted a head coach role with Wigan or other clubs, serious consideration would be given and rightly so.

Regardless of what official club title or role he has in black and white, for me, Wane will sit in the background and if the wheels begin to fall off, we have a perfect safety net!

The coaching set up, has been presented well. The big question mark for me is Peet and his obvious lack of first team head coach experience. Reality is, it's a result business. Hard to make balanced judgments either way.

I'd like to think Wane will intervene when it's appropriate and the huge advantage we have is he has done it all. He can only be an advantage to us IMO!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:48 pm For me, without stating the obvious, I would think the relationship between Peet and Wane will simply be based on results.

It's not a case of 'Thatcher being a good back seat driver'. I imagine if Wane wanted a head coach role with Wigan or other clubs, serious consideration would be given and rightly so.

Regardless of what official club title or role he has in black and white, for me, Wane will sit in the background and if the wheels begin to fall off, we have a perfect safety net!

The coaching set up, has been presented well. The big question mark for me is Peet and his obvious lack of first team head coach experience. Reality is, it's a result business. Hard to make balanced judgments either way.

I'd like to think Wane will intervene when it's appropriate and the huge advantage we have is he has done it all. He can only be an advantage to us IMO!
I understand the points youve made here and i get what youre saying but from my perspective i would be thinking could we not of sought out a very good coach rather than paying for a inexperienced coach and a safety net?

I mean if Wane was here to like you say steady the ship etc then surely it would be better to pay the sum total of both their wages on 1 person who could do the job without the safety net?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:12 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:48 pm For me, without stating the obvious, I would think the relationship between Peet and Wane will simply be based on results.

I understand the points youve made here and i get what youre saying but from my perspective i would be thinking could we not of sought out a very good coach rather than paying for a inexperienced coach and a safety net?

I mean if Wane was here to like you say steady the ship etc then surely it would be better to pay the sum total of both their wages on 1 person who could do the job without the safety net?
Personally I agree with you. The club seems to have this romantic idea that either promoting from within or appointing assistant coaches speaks volumes about the club!

For me, we are too prolific and successful to have this almost experimental attitude. As is stands now, this is going to be either an exceptional appointment in Peet (as everyone is singing his praises at the club) or a complete disaster, no in-between.

I say this because after last season and the hype around this 150th season, it has to be a season of silverware and not falling short. That to means its a huge task ahead for a coach with no actual experience as a head coach.

Without being cynical, if Peets appointment is purely financial, it such a shame and could prove costly in many ways, that said, the club seem confident we have our man?