Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Shaun Wane reveals he turned down significant offers to return to Wigan

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:30 pm
Personally I agree with you. The club seems to have this romantic idea that either promoting from within or appointing assistant coaches speaks volumes about the club!

For me, we are too prolific and successful to have this almost experimental attitude.
As is stands now, this is going to be either an exceptional appointment in Peet (as everyone is singing his praises at the club) or a complete disaster, no in-between.

I say this because after last season and the hype around this 150th season, it has to be a season of silverware and not falling short. That to means its a huge task ahead for a coach with no actual experience as a head coach.

Without being cynical, if Peets appointment is purely financial, it such a shame and could prove costly in many ways, that said, the club seem confident we have our man?
I agree and especially with the bits in bold I highlighted. It's very strange to go with an appointment like this in the clubs 150th season but then it's very strange doing things like letting Tommy go around again, signing Thornley and hoping Miski can adapt to SL for the same reason. For the clubs 150th year it's got an experimental coaching team and a squad few are happy with.

You can bet there will be a lot of hype and marketing about the 150th season and quite right too. There should be but it's got to be matched by what happens on the pitch.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Isn't any next coaching team experimental. Everyone banging on about Wane but isn't he in more of a Sinfield/peacock role at the club.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:48 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:30 pm
Personally I agree with you. The club seems to have this romantic idea that either promoting from within or appointing assistant coaches speaks volumes about the club!

For me, we are too prolific and successful to have this almost experimental attitude.
As is stands now, this is going to be either an exceptional appointment in Peet (as everyone is singing his praises at the club) or a complete disaster, no in-between.

I say this because after last season and the hype around this 150th season, it has to be a season of silverware and not falling short. That to means its a huge task ahead for a coach with no actual experience as a head coach.

Without being cynical, if Peets appointment is purely financial, it such a shame and could prove costly in many ways, that said, the club seem confident we have our man?
I agree and especially with the bits in bold I highlighted. It's very strange to go with an appointment like this in the clubs 150th season but then it's very strange doing things like letting Tommy go around again, signing Thornley and hoping Miski can adapt to SL for the same reason. For the clubs 150th year it's got an experimental coaching team and a squad few are happy with.

You can bet there will be a lot of hype and marketing about the 150th season and quite right too. There should be but it's got to be matched by what happens on the pitch.
IMO Harry Smith has a lot of potential, but equally, there's work to be done there and there's no reason why Lee Briers (hopefully) cant earn his shillings here, especially after his recent statement.

Leuluai, resigning frankly seems a waste of money! I can't see what contribution he can make in 12 months. Smith needs an experienced head, not sure Leuluai is the right option now though.

Thornley, it just doesn't inspire me. The fact he has played here before doesn't cut much, time moves on. Furthermore, you have to look at the quality of signings your serious rivals are making.

Miski, it's obvious we need wingers and not a signing of, 'is he a centre or winger'. His stats are good at London and I think he has played a handful in the NRL, but I'm hoping it's not a Hankinson type signing (championship signing who doesn't cut it or last).

I hope the club have made the correct calls for the 150th season and it matters significantly IMO, especially after this season.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Is one of the offers a big money deal to keep away from Wigan, by Dave O? :D :lol: :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Isn't any next coaching team experimental. Everyone banging on about Wane but isn't he in more of a Sinfield/peacock role at the club.
No and no.

To address the last point first, Sinfield’s position was administrative which is a reason he cited for leaving Leeds. This is something I have pointed out to you before (including links to Sinfield’s
own statements in this regard) at least once.

As to the first point, do you think Maurice Lindsay ever appointed a coach as an experiment?

Of course he didn’t. He didn’t appoint the likes of Graham Lowe or John Monie as experiments but based on their reputation as top coaches. The only person experimenting is IL. He struck lucky with Madge but at least Madge had first team coaching experience when his boss was away on rep duty and had worked with a top coach for six years but now IL seems to think going for assistant coaches is what Wigan does.

How about chasing a top class coach for a change?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:20 am
Like who?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:20 am
Like who?
How should I know? I am not the one who has access to agents acting for coaches or in the loop as to who might be open to offers. That’s Rads and IL’s job to know this and it’s a job they seem pretty poor at.
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

Don't be confused by the "uptitling" that's been going on.

Our new head coach is Shaun Wane. The only reason he's not called that is because he had to take a part time role in order to keep his England job.

Peet has extra responsibility for shouting at the young guys on Wane's behalf but in practical terms he's still an assistant.

Briers will make little or no difference to the style of play. He might pass on to Harry Smith his extensive experience of "leading from the rear" when things are going wrong on the field that's all.

I might be being a tad cynical here, but unless they make a truly inspirational halfback signing I can only be pessimistic about next year.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The Yonner wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:20 pm Don't be confused by the "uptitling" that's been going on.

Our new head coach is Shaun Wane. The only reason he's not called that is because he had to take a part time role in order to keep his England job.

Peet has extra responsibility for shouting at the young guys on Wane's behalf but in practical terms he's still an assistant.

Briers will make little or no difference to the style of play. He might pass on to Harry Smith his extensive experience of "leading from the rear" when things are going wrong on the field that's all.

I might be being a tad cynical here, but unless they make a truly inspirational halfback signing I can only be pessimistic about next year.
You are be Cynical as Wane is not the coach and it isn't just up uptitling.

It's no wonder Wigan struggle to get neutrals to fans one look on the Internet and you'd think from most fans we are worse than leigh.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Shaun Wane, absolute top individual on every level. Respect is earned and, for me at least, he has earned it twice over.