Liam Marshall hoping to seize Knights opportunity and catch Shaun Wane's eye

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Liam Marshall hoping to seize Knights opportunity and catch Shaun Wane's eye

Post by josie andrews »

The Wigan winger is in line to feature against Jamaica on Friday night

The England Knights programme is all about catching the eye and proving you are ready for the transition to the senior England squad - and few players recognise that opportunity this weekend more than Liam Marshall.

The 25-year-old is one of the senior names in an incredibly youthful Knights squad that will face Jamaica in Castleford on Friday night. "Maybe I'm closer to retirement than I thought when I look around and see all these young kids," he laughed this week.

But amidst the joking, there is a serious side to Marshall's approach to this Friday's game. On one hand, it affords the winger a chance to put a disappointing end to the season with Wigan behind him, but it could also be an opportunity to fulfil a childhood dream in the process.

A number of senior, front-line wingers will not be available for England's trip to France next weekend, including the likes of Jermaine McGillvary. That could leave the door ajar for someone to force their way into Shaun Wane's thinking if they perform this weekend: and Marshall is acutely aware of that potential.

I've seen a few names rule themselves out, and it's no surprise really," he told Rugby League Live. "It's been two years with playing so many games on short turnarounds and Covid issues.

"If I can put on a good display on Friday, it might lead to something else. But I'm just excited about getting a chance to play for the Knights for now. It'd be incredible to represent my country - it's almost the end goal, a senior England call-up. You're always nervous when Shaun's number pops up on your phone; it's been a talking to in the past about something I've done wrong but maybe next time, it'll be good news."

Marshall is arguably at an advantage given how Wane knows full well what the winger is capable of, having worked with him closely during their time together at Wigan. "The calibre of wingers in Super League is top quality," he admitted.

"There are standout names everywhere, and they're the benchmark. I need to be playing to the same standard as them to get picked, or even be considered. But it's good to be with the Knights and working in the system, and it means if the chance comes up, the transition could be flawless.

I've not spoke with Shaun too much throughout the year, but I've worked with him before and I know what he expects from a player. He'll demand the highest standards, and it's up to me to do what I did with him when I was younger."

Marshall can also banish the memories of what was a painful season for the Warriors by performing well for the Knights on Friday - and looking ahead, he is optimistic about what 2022 could bring under another man he knows very well: new Wigan head coach Matty Peet.

"It was a tough end to the year for us and not the way we wanted to go out," Marshall said. "We had aspirations of defying the odds and getting to the Grand Final but we ended up licking our wounds for a few weeks. For me personally, coming into camp and getting that Knights call-up has been great for me to take my mind off a difficult end with Wigan.

"Matty was the head coach of the academy when I first came in on trial, and it's great to see him work his way up and get the job, which is well deserved. I know him really well, he knows me and he knows what to expect from me and vice-versa. It's exciting to get a homegrown guy in charge of Wigan, and hopefully, it's a very similar story to Waney when he was in charge."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-21862808
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Re: Liam Marshall hoping to seize Knights opportunity and catch Shaun Wane's eye

Post by ian.birchall »

After our experiences with both Manfredi and Marshall over the past several seasons I am concerned about any matches involving Wigan players being played at Castleford.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Barney841

Re: Liam Marshall hoping to seize Knights opportunity and catch Shaun Wane's eye

Post by Barney841 »

No offence to marshy but he should be concentrating on getting Wigan back to the top of their game.
Do that and the England place will sort itself out
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:25 pm No offence to marshy but he should be concentrating on getting Wigan back to the top of their game.
Yeah but it’s the off season so he can’t…
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:00 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:25 pm No offence to marshy but he should be concentrating on getting Wigan back to the top of their game.
Yeah but it’s the off season so he can’t…
👏 no sh*t
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Well saints are renowned for withdrawing players from internationals. Lets see if those named are withdrawn due to poorly haircuts or ruptured fingernails or fractured smiles or something less trivial
Back by demand.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:01 pm Well saints are renowned for withdrawing players from internationals. Lets see if those named are withdrawn due to poorly haircuts or ruptured fingernails or fractured smiles or something less trivial
No Dodd tonight for the Knights and I doubt we’ll see many if any turn out for England next week.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

BBC Sport website doesn't even give the result, let alone a match report! :roll:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ca-6067697
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:44 pm BBC Sport website doesn't even give the result, let alone a match report! :roll:

To anyone who saw the match is it worrying that Marshall didn't score?
52 points and he didn't get 4 of it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:15 pm
moto748 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:44 pm BBC Sport website doesn't even give the result, let alone a match report! :roll:

To anyone who saw the match is it worrying that Marshall didn't score?
52 points and he didn't get 4 of it.
Don't get your point why should we be worried
If you had seen game still think you would ask the question what is your problem with Marshall