Briers: Club demands success

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lucky 13

Re: Briers: Club demands success

Post by lucky 13 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:10 am
lucky 13 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:53 am

Is Fusitu are marquee player for Leeds? Does he want to do as Pat Richards did and use his sporting talents as a way to get to go and sample life overseas? These are just as likely a possibility as there being some issue with Fusitu and the fact Burgess was a crock is irrelevant. So is the fact Hastings had his issues. Yes, it why he came to SL but that doesn't imply Fusitu or other NRL players are coming for negative reasons.

I don't really understand your point about French and Field. Just because French has proved to be a good player doesn't mean Field and Miski will make it. I don't have an issue with the two Aussie forwards because they have some first grade NRL experience.
Is Fusitu a marquee player for Leeds? Does he want to do as Pat Richards did and use his sporting talents as a way to get to go and sample life overseas? These are just as likely a possibility as there being some issue with Fusitu and the fact Burgess was a crock is irrelevant. So is the fact Hastings had his issues. Yes, it why he came to SL but that doesn't imply Fusitu or other NRL players are coming for negative reasons.

I don't really understand your point about French and Field. Just because French has proved to be a good player doesn't mean Field and Miski will make it. I don't have an issue with the two Aussie forwards because they have some first grade NRL experience.
I have no idea if he's marquee at Leeds. I'm also not disputing he's been a good player a few years back.
I do know plenty stuff was flying around re personal issues off field. He's not played many games through injury (problems with hamstrings) last couple of seasons "fact" his lack of form has thus seen him falling down the pecking order and he could not get a start "fact".
That's a bit of a stretch comparing him to Pat Richards who came here when SL could match or better the NRL wage wise, Pat last game before he played for us was a GF scoring the winner, a slight difference.... could you see that now? For Fusitu this puts him in a risk category which is to what I was referring.
You don't get my point with French and Field? At least do a little background work re the players careers. Games played in NRL puts Field around one of the forwards and a dozen or so behind the other coming to us next year. Like you said your happy to give them a chance so don't see anything wrong with a fit Field getting the same grace. I was comparing the impact French had first season. That even with limited games and being out of favour before they come to us these players can still be special talents in SL.
Hastings had different baggage but did the same winning man of steel both him and French had only around 40 first grade appearances each Mago will arrive with 37. We have seen Field coming back into a team which was in bad form for best part of two games, so I will judge him on next seasons form when fit hopefully in a team playing well he played over 20 games NRL first grade.
Miski is a bit of a project type signing. He's played six games at first grade in NRL . I doubt Miski will be on same wages as Fusitu and he comes free from any baggage that I have seen and with a point to prove, he was also probably pushing for a move to SL and took a risk playing championship rugby character wise that's a big tick.
Would I be surprised if Fusitu plays well?No I hope he does, our league needs stars and he was ranked one of the very best three or four seasons back. He does though arrive with question marks, comments made that he didn't want to go Union because he thought it may be to tough a transition don't sound like a player full of confidence.
This was the original point great NRL players don't come to SL now without something hanging over them or for one last pay day?
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Pat Richards was hardly an NRL superstar when he came to Wigan.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

moto748 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:01 pm Pat Richards was hardly an NRL superstar when he came to Wigan.
Other than scoring the winning try in a grand final, no.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

And was utter cack playing centre V Catalans on debut! How times changed when scoring at OT 2013 GF! :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

lucky 13 wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:10 am
lucky 13 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:53 am

Is Fusitu are marquee player for Leeds? Does he want to do as Pat Richards did and use his sporting talents as a way to get to go and sample life overseas? These are just as likely a possibility as there being some issue with Fusitu and the fact Burgess was a crock is irrelevant. So is the fact Hastings had his issues. Yes, it why he came to SL but that doesn't imply Fusitu or other NRL players are coming for negative reasons.

Is Fusitu a marquee player for Leeds? Does he want to do as Pat Richards did and use his sporting talents as a way to get to go and sample life overseas? These are just as likely a possibility as there being some issue with Fusitu and the fact Burgess was a crock is irrelevant. So is the fact Hastings had his issues. Yes, it why he came to SL but that doesn't imply Fusitu or other NRL players are coming for negative reasons.

I have no idea if he's marquee at Leeds. I'm also not disputing he's been a good player a few years back.
I do know plenty stuff was flying around re personal issues off field. He's not played many games through injury (problems with hamstrings) last couple of seasons "fact" his lack of form has thus seen him falling down the pecking order and he could not get a start "fact".
That's a bit of a stretch comparing him to Pat Richards who came here when SL could match or better the NRL wage wise, Pat last game before he played for us was a GF scoring the winner, a slight difference.... could you see that now? For Fusitu this puts him in a risk category which is to what I was referring.
You don't get my point with French and Field? At least do a little background work re the players careers. Games played in NRL puts Field around one of the forwards and a dozen or so behind the other coming to us next year. Like you said your happy to give them a chance so don't see anything wrong with a fit Field getting the same grace. I was comparing the impact French had first season. That even with limited games and being out of favour before they come to us these players can still be special talents in SL.
Hastings had different baggage but did the same winning man of steel both him and French had only around 40 first grade appearances each Mago will arrive with 37. We have seen Field coming back into a team which was in bad form for best part of two games, so I will judge him on next seasons form when fit hopefully in a team playing well he played over 20 games NRL first grade.
Miski is a bit of a project type signing. He's played six games at first grade in NRL . I doubt Miski will be on same wages as Fusitu and he comes free from any baggage that I have seen and with a point to prove, he was also probably pushing for a move to SL and took a risk playing championship rugby character wise that's a big tick.
Would I be surprised if Fusitu plays well?No I hope he does, our league needs stars and he was ranked one of the very best three or four seasons back. He does though arrive with question marks, comments made that he didn't want to go Union because he thought it may be to tough a transition don't sound like a player full of confidence.
This was the original point great NRL players don't come to SL now without something hanging over them or for one last pay day?
The comparison with Richards was to suggest he might like to come here because his ability as a player has allowed him to. That’s why Richards came when he was a top player in Oz.

And no, Wigan could not pay Richards a fortune. He came in 2006 and there was a £1.8m salary cap in place back then and Wigan had in fact been fined for breaking it the season before. So there is no stretch wages-wise but I suspect Richards could have earned more staying put but fancied some time living overseas. One of the reasons I admire Richards is he came here with his eyes wide open and didn’t run off home after 12 months!

As to Field v the forwards he’s played 17 first grade games. 11 over two seasons for St. George and six in 2020 for Parramatta. He got half a dozen games a season over three seasons.

Ellis has played 26 of which 18 were last season for St George. Mago has played 37, 23 of which were last season for South Sydney.

The idea their first grade records are comparable is a bit of a joke.

The stats from the forwards represent the kind of players we should be (and realistically can be) signing IMO. So is Fusitu as opposed to Miski.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote:And was utter cack playing centre V Catalans on debut! How times changed when scoring at OT 2013 GF! :lol:
Wasn’t Richards v Catalans continuing what seems now to be a spectacularly unsuccessful tradition Wigan have developed of signing wingers to play them at centre? A tradition that may have started with Mark Bell if I recall correctly.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:47 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote:And was utter cack playing centre V Catalans on debut! How times changed when scoring at OT 2013 GF! :lol:
Wasn’t Richards v Catalans continuing what seems now to be a spectacularly unsuccessful tradition Wigan have developed of signing wingers to play them at centre? A tradition that may have started with Mark Bell if I recall correctly.
Jamie Aninscough
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Since Richards, what other wingers have we signed who played centre ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Bibby thinks he’s a centre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Bibby thinks he’s a centre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was struggling to think of another signing where clear confusion between centre and winger occurred. I do think in recent years the versatility of Darrell Goulding has been often underlooked and considerably unrecognised! I firmly believe this was the centre who provided Charnley with a healthy try scoring record in more than one season, played wing and contributed in more than one GF victory. Many will overlook him, similar to Paul Prescott in the forwards.