Briers: Club demands success

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Briers: Club demands success

Post by josie andrews »

Lee Briers speaks to Wigan TV after being named Assistant Coach.

Briers: “I walk around here and it oozes success, demands success so it’s something I’m really excited to be a part of.”

Get to know Briers more HERE. https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/10/ ... ee-briers/

Lee Briers says Wigan Warriors as a Club ‘demands success’ as he joins as an Assistant Coach and looks to get the Cherry and Whites ready for the 2022 season.

Briers joins the Warriors new look Coaching Staff after almost 25 years with Warrington Wolves as both a player and a coach. Speaking on the move, he said: “Playing those 16 years and then coaching for eight, nearly 25 years all up, it’s all I’ve ever known. It’s a wonderful club, Warrington, and they’ve done a hell of a lot for me, and I suppose them supporting me the way that they did brings me to this point now where I can move on and join a massive club like Wigan.

“I’ve got a lot of good things to say about Warrington, it’s a fantastic club, they’ll always be special in my heart but for now I’m a Wigan Warriors Coach, and part of the Wigan Warriors staff and I’m really looking forward to that challenge.”

Briers announced he would be departing the Wolves earlier in 2021, and has been holding on for his next move since then.

“I suppose when I knew I was leaving Warrington eight months ago it’s been a long process of whether there would be any interest,” he said. “There was that interest in the last two weeks and things moved really quickly with Wigan and we’re here now and I’m really excited for the challenge. It’s what dreams are made of, Wigan is a massive Rugby League Club in anybody’s eyes, so to be asked to come and coach here is special.”

The new Assistant Coach spoke enthusiastically about changes to come from the Warriors: “We’re all focused on one thing and that’s making Wigan attractive again, we’re on the same wavelength, we’re all aligned and we’re looking forward to the job.”

He added: “I did look at Wigan in the 1990s, early 2000s and they were exciting, they had quality players all over and we need to get back to that, we need to get the fans back through the door and if there is one thing we can promise is that we’re going to try and play exciting rugby.”

Having worked with Matt Peet before in the England Academy set up, Briers holds the new Head Coach in high regard: “It’s exciting, Matty is a straight talker, there’s no grey areas, it’s black and white and that’s what it’s got to be. He’s a hard worker and a deep thinker about the game, people might think because he’s not been a player, that he doesn’t understand the game but he understands the game better than most people I know.

“The way he gets his point across, to coaches and players, is quite unique. He’s on a journey, the start of a journey and myself and Sean are here to support him on that way.”

Briers summarised: “Pre-seasons are tough, brutal but that’s how we can set a foundation and being new coaching staff we can set some real good values. The Club is built on success, I walk around here and it oozes success, demands success so it’s something I’m really excited to be a part of and I can’t wait to get on the field with the boys.”

The full interview with Lee is available to watch on Wigan TV!

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/10/ ... s-success/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ddtftf

Re: Briers: Club demands success

Post by ddtftf »

You cannot demand success if you only have bricks and no mortar no base sorry also to see Leeds have signed a massive signing of a big winger with an amazing try per game record, from the NRL but no matter we have signed a London Bronco`s winger :roll: :roll: :roll:
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:49 pm You cannot demand success if you only have bricks and no mortar no base sorry also to see Leeds have signed a massive signing of a big winger with an amazing try per game record, from the NRL but no matter we have signed a London Bronco`s winger :roll: :roll: :roll:
We signed George Burgess for 2020 and Hull FC signed Chris Satae, a lad with 15 NRL appearances to his name at the age of 26.

It’s just a point to highlight that things aren’t always that black and white. The Leeds winger is a good player, absolutely no doubt about it but he does have injury problems. There are numerous cases of lads who haven’t made a big name for themselves Down Under doing well here and loads of huge names (on big contracts) have fallen flat on their faces.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

NICKYKISS wrote:
ddtftf wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:49 pm You cannot demand success if you only have bricks and no mortar no base sorry also to see Leeds have signed a massive signing of a big winger with an amazing try per game record, from the NRL but no matter we have signed a London Bronco`s winger :roll: :roll: :roll:
We signed George Burgess for 2020 and Hull FC signed Chris Satae, a lad with 15 NRL appearances to his name at the age of 26.

It’s just a point to highlight that things aren’t always that black and white. The Leeds winger is a good player, absolutely no doubt about it but he does have injury problems. There are numerous cases of lads who haven’t made a big name for themselves Down Under doing well here and loads of huge names (on big contracts) have fallen flat on their faces.
You might as well say Miski or Leeds new winger could break a leg getting off the team bus.

You have to go off the players CV’s. We seem to be reduced to hoping other teams signings are going to fail because ours don’t stack up in comparison with their CV. I just replied to another post in the general RL forum that said Leeds winger was an unknown because he’d never played in SL. [emoji2369]

If we had signed Leeds new winger, it would be seen as a very good signing and I doubt he’d be expected to be a crock any more than the two NRL forwards we have signed are.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I did like his dig at wire saying that his time there set him up to come to a massive club! Haha

Problem is wigan have become a PR factory with little substance
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Who technically has a better try per game record :lol: not that I'm saying he's better or worse just saying stats.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:37 pm I did like his dig at wire saying that his time there set him up to come to a massive club! Haha

Problem is wigan have become a PR factory with little substance
There's an article on the Warrington local news where he's said he didn't want to leave the club.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

He probably didn't want to leave Wire, I can understand that! If they'd offered him a new deal working with Powell he'd have accepted, he's had a fair few deals at Wire!

Trouble is for Lee that he was no doubt told he would not be staying as asst to Powell and was free to look for opportunities elsewhere. Being a family man I'm sure that concentrated his mind.
He needed a job at another club so when Wigan came knocking he was probably at their front door before the club had put the phone down! Like anyone would in the same position.

I'm glad he's here. New input from a man with a creative mind as a player who can work wonders getting rid of our boring, predictable plays on top of the most ludicrous selection decisions for a very long while, if not ever!
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:26 pm
NICKYKISS wrote:

You might as well say Miski or Leeds new winger could break a leg getting off the team bus.

You have to go off the players CV’s. We seem to be reduced to hoping other teams signings are going to fail because ours don’t stack up in comparison with their CV. I just replied to another post in the general RL forum that said Leeds winger was an unknown because he’d never played in SL. [emoji2369]

If we had signed Leeds new winger, it would be seen as a very good signing and I doubt he’d be expected to be a crock any more than the two NRL forwards we have signed are.
You seem to be thinking that I’m saying I’d have picked Miski over Fusitu’a. I really wouldn’t have done but I’m simply pointing out all signings aren’t an exact science and going ‘player A is costing a fortune and has a big rep so has to be better than player B because he hasn’t built a reputation yet’ doesn’t always stack up.

If you consider all aspects of the Fusitu’a deal, it looks a bit of a risk. That’s a risk Leeds can probably afford to take but we can’t. I personally wouldn’t be throwing big money at wingers as we have far more pressing concerns. I just can’t sit here and go mad that Leeds have signed a big money winger and we haven’t because I don’t think we need to do that. I’m more miffed they have signed Sezer, Huddersfield have signed two halfbacks and Williams went to Wire because clearly we do need a halfback.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

NICKYKISS wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:38 pm
You seem to be thinking that I’m saying I’d have picked Miski over Fusitu’a. I really wouldn’t have done but I’m simply pointing out all signings aren’t an exact science and going ‘player A is costing a fortune and has a big rep so has to be better than player B because he hasn’t built a reputation yet’ doesn’t always stack up.

If you consider all aspects of the Fusitu’a deal, it looks a bit of a risk. That’s a risk Leeds can probably afford to take but we can’t. I personally wouldn’t be throwing big money at wingers as we have far more pressing concerns. I just can’t sit here and go mad that Leeds have signed a big money winger and we haven’t because I don’t think we need to do that. I’m more miffed they have signed Sezer, Huddersfield have signed two halfbacks and Williams went to Wire because clearly we do need a halfback.
Excellent post while I doubt Miski will be in the dream team come seasons end he may be,just being a star name when you sign is meaningless if he cops an injury,lack of form etc,sometimes shopping in the bargain basement can reap rewards but well some on here won’t have it.