George Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

George Burgess

Post by Charriots Offiah »

[https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/george-b ... ors-44468/][/url]

George hadn't had a pre-season for six years and we signed him! :oops:
Exiled Wiganer

Re: George Burgess

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

And sold tickets on the basis that he was a marquee player. We would be better off putting names in a hamster’s cage, and signing whichever one the hamster used for bedding than relying on our recruitment people.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Don't know about a bombshell. More of a damp squib. I'd have been more impressed if he had looked likely to burst his way out of a paper bag.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Would we have known?

I doubt south's would give that info
His agent wouldn't

Plenty of players play with on going issues so as long as it's manageable

That leaves a medical to pick it up and if he made it through that and is adamant he could what do you do?

I doubt any season tickets where sold on Burgess numbers are down year on year and a prop doesn't really put but bums on seats.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:09 pm Would we have known?

I doubt south's would give that info
His agent wouldn't

Plenty of players play with on going issues so as long as it's manageable

That leaves a medical to pick it up and if he made it through that and is adamant he could what do you do?

I doubt any season tickets where sold on Burgess numbers are down year on year and a prop doesn't really put but bums on seats.
Most players know what barbers others go do I don’t there was no-one at Wigan who knew anyone at rabbits to confirm this

Also - surely you could ask questions? South’s may not present the information but you can’t lie either otherwise they would find themselves in hot water

Don’t they do a lot of base lining of performance in preseason so could of asked for his last preseason performance figures etc

I think wigan fans give the wigan management far too much grace by comparing their knowledge to someone’s who job it is to know these things and find out

If you were buying a car you might not know how to do certain checks to see if had been a write off or the history - but you would damn sure expect that the dealer should know those things
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If Burgess issues are as bad as the South’s bloke has made out, surely some cracks would have shown in the medical?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Remember watching him warm up against Warrington and I thought then he looked big for a big guy!

It just reads as an embarrassment, lack of professionalism or deceit......from either both parties or one or the other!

If I got a marquee contract and no doubt a very lucrative salary, I'd be the first to identify any issues or concerns (regardless of Wigan conducting a medical or not!). Why would Burgess not mention this if its been a problem for six consistent pre-seasons?

If Wigan did conduct a medical and it wasn't identified, what does that say? Surely in training, player must have looked at Burgess and thought 'what's the crack here'?

Burgess might well have revealed all and maybe the club thought they could get him through! This article specifically makes me wonder though, has it been a happy 12 months payday?

I'm glad he's back playing, but there are lessons to be learnt here! I'd say it's very similar to Wire signing GI! It's all well and good recruiting a 'superstar name' when it pays off, but this didn't even scratch the surface!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Is George Burgess's pay of part of our salary cap for this year??? he was contracted for 3 years .
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 am Remember watching him warm up against Warrington and I thought then he looked big for a big guy!
I said that to my father watching him warm up, he didn't look fit in the slightest and then got sat down by Murdoch Masila.

If it was obvious to me, watching from around 40 plus yards away, and obviously yourself why, why did no one at the club pick it up? The whole thing just stinks
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jaws1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:00 am Is George Burgess's pay of part of our salary cap for this year??? he was contracted for 3 years .
No.

Think he agreed to the termination. Probably got an insurance payout
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."