Wigan’s Worst spine in 150 years

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Wigan’s Worst spine in 150 years

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Amid the “excitement” around 150 year anniversary, I was wondering whether the club will ever have had a weaker spine than the one that we may well be fielding in week 1 next year (I am assuming that neither Smith or French are available, after this week’s dismal fitness update):

1 Hanley
6 Field
7 Leuluai
9 Powell
13 Partington

I have only been watching us for 40 years, but that would be even weaker than the relegation/second division side I first saw, which had the superb Fairburn at 1. This is my auntie’s 90th year watching, and she says that that side was the worst she has ever seen.

I know we were bad in the mid 90s, but I wonder whether anyone can think of a weaker combination...
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan’s Worst spine in 150 years

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The only time I can think of in my time watching wigan would be 2005

1. Rads who was completely shot
6. Danny orr
7. Dennis Moran
9. Newton
13. Farrell who again was shot

Really newton was only decent player in that group - I did feel sorry for Moran as we asked him to play a completely different game to his usual game but he was shocking at Wigan

I’d find it difficult to chose between the 2 line ups
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:21 pm Amid the “excitement” around 150 year anniversary, I was wondering whether the club will ever have had a weaker spine than the one that we may well be fielding in week 1 next year (I am assuming that neither Smith or French are available, after this week’s dismal fitness update):

1 Hanley
6 Field
7 Leuluai
9 Powell
13 Partington

I have only been watching us for 40 years, but that would be even weaker than the relegation/second division side I first saw, which had the superb Fairburn at 1. This is my auntie’s 90th year watching, and she says that that side was the worst she has ever seen.

I know we were bad in the mid 90s, but I wonder whether anyone can think of a weaker combination...
So how old is your auntie? You’ve mentioned this comment twice now about yours & family’s length of watching Wigan, so I was just wondering 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

AJ is 97. A shareholder since the 20s. There was a film of WIgan’s history produced which showed a crowd from the early 30s, who were pretty much sitting on chairs at the side of the pitch. And there she was, with her mum and dad (my grandparents). I have a still from it somewhere. Thank goodness for being able to pause DVDs. Still sharp as a razor.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We were shocking in 1897 and 1901
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 pm AJ is 97. A shareholder since the 20s. There was a film of WIgan’s history produced which showed a crowd from the early 30s, who were pretty much sitting on chairs at the side of the pitch. And there she was, with her mum and dad (my grandparents). I have a still from it somewhere. Thank goodness for being able to pause DVDs. Still sharp as a razor.
Brilliant 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:54 pm The only time I can think of in my time watching wigan would be 2005

1. Rads who was completely shot
6. Danny orr
7. Dennis Moran
9. Newton
13. Farrell who again was shot

Really newton was only decent player in that group - I did feel sorry for Moran as we asked him to play a completely different game to his usual game but he was shocking at Wigan

I’d find it difficult to chose between the 2 line ups
farrell left in 04
pedro

Post by pedro »

why is french unavailable? Or Smith, 4 months until the season starts
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:21 pm Amid the “excitement” around 150 year anniversary, I was wondering whether the club will ever have had a weaker spine than the one that we may well be fielding in week 1 next year (I am assuming that neither Smith or French are available, after this week’s dismal fitness update):

1 Hanley
6 Field
7 Leuluai
9 Powell
13 Partington

Ffs how many birthday cards have you had from Liz if you know the score for 150 years?🤣
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Anybody know anybody who went to the first Challenge Cup Final at Wembley and the first FA Cup Final at Wembley? I do.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield