Wigan’s Worst spine in 150 years

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Levrier

Re: Wigan’s Worst spine in 150 years

Post by Levrier »

I still wonder if we really ever had a plan for recruiting. We did not know that Williams would be available and then we're never in the running. We had no space in the overseas quota and did not know if any of the overseas contingent would willingly leave. Now we have Hobson's choice of panic buy and possibly retard the club’s progress for years to come or make do. It is not a pretty picture.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Levrier wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:10 pm I still wonder if we really ever had a plan for recruiting. We did not know that Williams would be available and then we're never in the running. We had no space in the overseas quota and did not know if any of the overseas contingent would willingly leave. Now we have Hobson's choice of panic buy and possibly retard the club’s progress for years to come or make do. It is not a pretty picture.
What players and positions need this "plan" you refer to?

Only gaps I can see that needed filling where:

Props - Done this with Ellis and Mago
Centre - Replaced Gildart with Thornley (Not happy but doesn't mean we didn't have a plan)
Halfback - This is the only area you could question whether we had a plan or not.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:11 pm
Levrier wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:10 pm I still wonder if we really ever had a plan for recruiting. We did not know that Williams would be available and then we're never in the running. We had no space in the overseas quota and did not know if any of the overseas contingent would willingly leave. Now we have Hobson's choice of panic buy and possibly retard the club’s progress for years to come or make do. It is not a pretty picture.

Centre - Replaced Gildart with Thornley (Not happy but doesn't mean we didn't have a plan)
Halfback - This is the only area you could question whether we had a plan or not.
I thought the seeming lack of a plan was down to the fact we didn't know Williams was going to be available but when we was we went after him with a big offer? As in when & why did IL & Rads decide we needed a half back? When and because of Williams becoming available or because they always wanted a half back? Same when we signed Field. Why was he signed? You could even say that about French that year as we had players in these positions.

It also looks like we have no plan because we have no quota spots left so can't sign a half back from overseas and had to get a player to leave to accommodate Tommy.

I have no problem with the forwards but I wouldn't call the signing of Thornley a plan. Desperation more like. :lol:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

i agree apart from we need another centre even if we keep zak…… this was proven last season……. Ide gladly bring back sarge or hanky just for cover….. dont get me wrong ide prefer new but somehow, dont think we will…… if we keep french and zak and sign a half and a centre ill be happy…… im not happy with tommy going again unless hes playing 9
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

So where's our goal kicker?
Back by demand.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I would like to know what the succession plans were when we knew the Hastings was leaving and did not know that Williams was available? Field seems to have been a gamble and Tommy looked like nearing retirement. I understand that the club may have been trying to move on some bodies but that is reactive rather than proactive. It was good to see some movement on the props front but even there our choices seem to be cash constrained. Overall we have a no more experienced and probably less talented squad for next year whilst still being up around the cap.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

And we still have no goal kicker.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Levrier wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:32 am And we still have no goal kicker.
Currently, this is the least of our problems.

Even with a 100% conversion rate last year, we would only have amassed a further 48 points.

Can't see our try scoring ability getting any better next year, as things stand at the moment.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Levrier wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:32 am And we still have no goal kicker.
Irrelevant if you can’t score.

How many more points would we have accumulated last year if we had a 100% kick record?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

We had 0 losses with a two point margin and 1 loss with a 4 point margin.

Not sure better kicking would have changed much…