Captain Next Year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Captain Next Year

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Batty, has to be!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Captain Next Year

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Liam Farrell for me
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Not for me, he’s too quiet. Cracking player and leads by example but won’t be badgering the ref and fighting for those 50/50 calls
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:37 am Not for me, he’s too quiet. Cracking player and leads by example but won’t be badgering the ref and fighting for those 50/50 calls
Similarly he won't be getting himself binned every other game or getting into a referees bad books.

Also I don't buy the whole he's too quiet. He isn't an in your face kind of player, but he is a leader and vocal on the pitch. He's also the most consistent player week in week out and probably the player most youngsters will look up to
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:26 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:37 am Not for me, he’s too quiet. Cracking player and leads by example but won’t be badgering the ref and fighting for those 50/50 calls
Similarly he won't be getting himself binned every other game or getting into a referees bad books.

Also I don't buy the whole he's too quiet. He isn't an in your face kind of player, but he is a leader and vocal on the pitch. He's also the most consistent player week in week out and probably the player most youngsters will look up to
Same as Lockers!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Not sure who it could be.

Not Bateman. Not Farrell.

As an out and out captain I would say Powell, but I will admit I don't know his personality.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

One of Lam's many mistakes was giving the captaincy to Thomas Leuluai

We all want the captain to lead by example or set the standard, maybe even be vocal and motivational around team-mates. However for me, he must be an 80 minute player also

This rules Tommy out as he should be nothing more than an interchange for Powell now, and with him leaving after next season (well we cannot keep extending his deal) we have the prospect of naming a new captain anyways

Powell, jeez that guys needs to improve his form by 100% on the rubbish he served up this season. Why burden someone with the most to prove with the added issues surrounding him leading the team around?

It is either Farrell or Bateman for me. I'm unsure how either would develop or grow within the role but there are no other realistic options

French? Not even sure he's coming back
Thornley? That blokes had more clubs than Tiger Woods
Isa? No doubting his efforts but his behavior at time really cost the club in terms of his sinbinnings and bans. a petulant captain the club does not need.

The rest have to have a massive improvement from a personal viewpoint to even be considered captaincy material
Back by demand.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Patrick Magoo
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Liam Farrell (c)......maybe Peet will go with a leadership group if he believes that one or two contribute etc?
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

How about Zak, assuming he's still here?