Season Tickets

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Season Tickets

Post by ancientnloyal »

jaws1 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:50 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:46 pm buttmonkey you know nothing about me.
Hope you have a massive intake with the Heritage Society that you have set up ..
Thanks!

Tbh I just want to get back to reading old newspapers and doing my hobby at eWr.

We’ve had memberships from New Zealand, Wales, Belfast, Carlisle, Whitehaven, Limerick, Balham and Lincolnshire!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:23 pm
WarriorWinger wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:28 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:32 pm

It is when when it comes form the horses mouth i.e. when Wane criticised Hamlin publicly for doing it. As to FPN not adapting why do you expect players to adapt and be successful? Wigan have had a bit of a habit over the years of signing players and expecting them to change their game or play in different positions and it failing.
Did he say not to bust tackles or not to get into a wrestle in the tackle which are entirely different, I dont know what the quote is but suspect he meant the latter as it gives time for defensive lines to get back and set up
not to burst tackles
I’m really pleased with what I saw today, I liked what Gabe and Romain gave me.

“Gabe was very good, apart from going down like he was dead! There was nothing wrong with him, so he needs to understand what we do here. He was really good though, he carried the ball strong and he was composed. It didn’t look like his first game

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/wi ... haun-wane/

When I googled shaun Wane on Gabe Hamlin this is all I could get up that wasn't about his ban.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:32 pm
Did he say not to bust tackles or not to get into a wrestle in the tackle which are entirely different, I dont know what the quote is but suspect he meant the latter as it gives time for defensive lines to get back and set up
not to burst tackles

“Gabe was very good, apart from going down like he was dead! There was nothing wrong with him, so he needs to understand what we do here. He was really good though, he carried the ball strong and he was composed. It didn’t look like his first game

When I googled shaun Wane on Gabe Hamlin this is all I could get up that wasn't about his ban.
So no mention about not busting tackles only a reference to getting up quickly. Busting a tackle is something that is generally done at pace and therefore you would not drop like a stone to get a quick play the ball, what I suspect Wane does say is to 'find the floor' which generally refers to ending up on your front facing in the right direction as soon as you are tackled, rather than keep trying to struggle for a few extra metres giving the defensive line time to retreat and get set
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

not to burst tackles

There was a thread about it on here after he made the comments I referred to because it caused quite a reaction. I can't remember if it was a Wigan TV interview but possibly was and you won't find the contents of those in Google verbatim if at all.

EDIT: It was BBC Radio Manchester and here is the thread about what he said:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34904&hilit=hamlin

And one of the comments:
w.thomas wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm
ragman wrote:Whether we agree with Wane on tactics or not is not the issue for me.

For a coach to bring a player from the other side of the world, play him in a game in which he has a stormer, and then to go out in public with those comments is disgusting. To publicly undermine and effectively belittle Hamlin's efforts on his debut is about as bad as man management and morale building get.

It's better to keep quiet and let people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Bang on! Completely agree with this. Also if you think running the ball hard and making meters is a bad thing, you need a check up from the neck up and know nothing about RL. Winning contact makes PTB actually quicker than dropping down when a fingers laid on you. How many pens do you get from dropping down fast? Not many! How many from winning contact? Plenty! Because the defenders aren't set, they are always set when you've gone down with a bad look. Wanes clipping our wings with his bad coaching, reckon with a new coach we could be world beaters.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

DaveO wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:53 pm

not to burst tackles

There was a thread about it on here after he made the comments I referred to because it caused quite a reaction. I can't remember if it was a Wigan TV interview but possibly was and you won't find the contents of those in Google verbatim if at all.
Just found the forum on here and below is what was posted by DaveO

I made a joke in the game thread that Wane would turn Hamlin into FPN.

Well for all those who were at the game today and enjoyed what Hamlin did, you have probably seen the last of it. According to Wane that leg drive is "not good for the team". And he wants him to get down and get a quick PTB instead.

It's all here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0632wky

Now you know why FPN was ineffective. We are coached by a buffoon.

So referring to leg drive which isn't busting tackles but trying to drive forward when in the tackle, so unless you can wriggle free or get an offload is counter productive to what Wane wanted at the time as the remaining defenders would be getting back in a set line
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

WarriorWinger wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Well for all those who were at the game today and enjoyed what Hamlin did, you have probably seen the last of it. According to Wane that leg drive is "not good for the team". And he wants him to get down and get a quick PTB instead.

So referring to leg drive which isn't busting tackles but trying to drive forward when in the tackle, so unless you can wriggle free or get an offload is counter productive to what Wane wanted at the time as the remaining defenders would be getting back in a set line
Read the whole thread for a other opinions (such as the one I included in the post above yours)

Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Read the whole thread for a other opinions (such as the one I included in the post above yours)

I have just found it after spending a while realising the same threads happen every year regards to bad squad get rid of IL.

I also listened to the recording from Wane on BBC and noticed the thread (myself as well) just heard what they wanted at the time and the only thing said was legging pumping effected the momentum.

I also had a look at FNP on YouTube and he wasn't busting tackles in the NRL either he 2015 highlight reel after playing all matches for example had 4 things I'm it one being the softest try I've seen.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:52 pm

I have just found it after spending a while realising the same threads happen every year regards to bad squad get rid of IL.

I also listened to the recording from Wane on BBC and noticed the thread (myself as well) just heard what they wanted at the time and the only thing said was legging pumping effected the momentum.

I also had a look at FNP on YouTube and he wasn't busting tackles in the NRL either he 2015 highlight reel after playing all matches for example had 4 things I'm it one being the softest try I've seen.
I am actually a fan of 'leg pumping' as such, I think if you have a strong runner who can make good post contact metres, then find the floor it is really effective, you make extra metres catching the defensive line off guard and offside but you have to do it in quick time for it to be effective.
Comments made by Wane in public on a player are not great but having played rugby for a lot of years you do get used to 'changing room' style banter and critisism, not great to do it in the public forum but I suspect Gabe at the time took it in good jest.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

You said this originally:

"I've seen the argument that Frank Paul the wrecking ball was so poor because we changed how he played with not evidence we had, it's easy to counter that why didn't we do the same with Hamlin who."

And you can hear from the horses mouth (i.e. Wane) on that BBC clip that he didn't want Hamlin to play the game the way he did that night so there is your evidence Wane wanted to change how Hamlin played.

I didn't mention "busting tackles" in my reply to that statement of yours but driving it in, which you do by pumping your legs. So I have no idea why people are debating if Wane mentioned busting tackles.

It's clear from that old radio clip with Wane's criticism of the player and the patronising comments about the fans not knowing what's best he wanted the forwards to play the game in a certain way.

As to using clips from YouTube as evidence what's the URL for the YouTube video and how long does he feature for you to come to that conclusion? Most You Tube videos on players are brief highlights.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

DaveO wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:53 pm

You said this originally:

"I've seen the argument that Frank Paul the wrecking ball was so poor because we changed how he played with not evidence we had, it's easy to counter that why didn't we do the same with Hamlin who."

And you can hear from the horses mouth (i.e. Wane) on that BBC clip that he didn't want Hamlin to play the game the way he did that night so there is your evidence Wane wanted to change how Hamlin played.

I didn't mention "busting tackles" in my reply to that statement of yours but driving it in, which you do by pumping your legs. So I have no idea why people are debating if Wane mentioned busting tackles.

It's clear from that old radio clip with Wane's criticism of the player and the patronising comments about the fans not knowing what's best he wanted the forwards to play the game in a certain way.

As to using clips from YouTube as evidence what's the URL for the YouTube video and how long does he feature for you to come to that conclusion? Most You Tube videos on players are brief highlights.
I had not seent the interview or heard what Wane had said at the time so was replying to a post about what Wane may have been referring to or suggesting. I took your quote off the quote off the original topic which referred to leg pumping, but driving it in and pumping your legs are different things, you drive a ball in by running at the defensive line, you pump your legs to gain extra metres with defenders holding on to you, busting a tackle is basically running through the defensive line and busting through would be tacklers, I mentioned busting tackles as I said I doubt Wane has said not to do that and just drop to the floor rather than get involved in a wrestle in the tackle