2022 Kit

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: 2022 Kit

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:06 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:35 am
As for 2022 kits, surely tradition has to be the focus.
You'd think so wouldn't you?

Given the training kit I expect tradition won't extend to the traditional coat of arms badge. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it did but I suspects Rads to too wedded to the whole rebranding thing to revert.

I don't often buy a team shirt but as it's the 150th anniversary I'd quite like to buy one but then the Costa Coffee badge would put me off.

I wonder which idiot decided to change the badge just before the 150th anniversary? Had they kept the old badge a bit longer they could have used it on the anniversary shirt and then if they really wanted a rebranding exercise started with that the season after the 150th anniversary. It even makes sense marketing wise as it could be branded a new era starting after 150 years etc. By changing the badge just before the 150th anniversary season they risk putting people off if it's stuck on a supposedly traditional shirt. Hard to market tradition if it's not traditional. Lets hope the coat of arms makes a return for next season but I have my doubts it will.
I'm still not bothered by the change of logo. Looks nice and clean to me.
But plenty of people don’t like it at all and don’t you think if you are going to have an anniversary shirt with traditional hoops (I am assuming they won’t be daft enough not to do that) it might have made sense to wait to change the logo?

I don’t think it matters how clean or what it looks like. It could be a far better design than a Costa Coffee circle but that’s not the issue. The problem is they chose to do it just before celebrating 150 years.

I think it’s just been a really stupid decision to move away from a concept that has lasted 150 years i.e. a coat of arms badge just before you celebrate 150 years and expect to spend a year celebrating that.

It is par for the course though. I bet such considerations never entered Rads head. He’s just not up to the job.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:04 pm
Mike wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:06 pm

You'd think so wouldn't you?

Given the training kit I expect tradition won't extend to the traditional coat of arms badge. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it did but I suspects Rads to too wedded to the whole rebranding thing to revert.

I don't often buy a team shirt but as it's the 150th anniversary I'd quite like to buy one but then the Costa Coffee badge would put me off.

I wonder which idiot decided to change the badge just before the 150th anniversary? Had they kept the old badge a bit longer they could have used it on the anniversary shirt and then if they really wanted a rebranding exercise started with that the season after the 150th anniversary. It even makes sense marketing wise as it could be branded a new era starting after 150 years etc. By changing the badge just before the 150th anniversary season they risk putting people off if it's stuck on a supposedly traditional shirt. Hard to market tradition if it's not traditional. Lets hope the coat of arms makes a return for next season but I have my doubts it will.
I'm still not bothered by the change of logo. Looks nice and clean to me.
But plenty of people don’t like it at all and don’t you think if you are going to have an anniversary shirt with traditional hoops (I am assuming they won’t be daft enough not to do that) it might have made sense to wait to change the logo?

I don’t think it matters how clean or what it looks like. It could be a far better design than a Costa Coffee circle but that’s not the issue. The problem is they chose to do it just before celebrating 150 years.

I think it’s just been a really stupid decision to move away from a concept that has lasted 150 years i.e. a coat of arms badge just before you celebrate 150 years and expect to spend a year celebrating that.

It is par for the course though. I bet such considerations never entered Rads head. He’s just not up to the job.
There's always plenty of people who don't like any change no matter when it happens. The proof of the pudding will be in actual vs projected merchendise sales. If I'm going to generalise, more older fans will not like the update than younger fans, and its the younger fans the club's got to retain. I'm neutral on the issue. Its not affected me buying or not buying anything (although I couldn't get a home shirt this season - they'd sold out - not sure if that's relevant). If the club determines that the merch sales are way below expectations, they might revert the logo.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
Mike wrote: I'm still not bothered by the change of logo. Looks nice and clean to me.

There's always plenty of people who don't like any change no matter when it happens. The proof of the pudding will be in actual vs projected merchendise sales. If I'm going to generalise, more older fans will not like the update than younger fans, and its the younger fans the club's got to retain. I'm neutral on the issue. Its not affected me buying or not buying anything (although I couldn't get a home shirt this season - they'd sold out - not sure if that's relevant). If the club determines that the merch sales are way below expectations, they might revert the logo.
You just don’t want to admit I am right and this is a bit of a cock up do you. :wink: Younger fans may prefer the new logo going forward but they aren’t the only target market for merchandise celebrating 150 years. I suspect they are less likely to buy it. It seems rather absurd to abandon tradition just before trying to cash in on it and not wait to launch a new era the following season.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Hopefully the correct badge will be back for when it is actually 150 years of WWRL… it’s 143 years next year but, you know…
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:55 pm
Mike wrote:

You just don’t want to admit I am right and this is a bit of a cock up do you. :wink: Younger fans may prefer the new logo going forward but they aren’t the only target market for merchandise celebrating 150 years. I suspect they are less likely to buy it. It seems rather absurd to abandon tradition just before trying to cash in on it and not wait to launch a new era the following season.
Do you know how long the coat of arms has been displayed on the Wigan jerseys? It's not anywhere near 150 years, I think. So needing it on the 150th anniversary clobber is, to me, irrelevant. There is no right or wrongs on this, only opinions.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I do stand by my opinion that tradition is essential to acknowledge the 150th season, but yes, i think for most fans you approve or simply think the rebrand is tasteless.

Personally, I prefer the traditional crest. Where I have remained open minded is on the idea that it increases the fan base/season ticket sales and increases revenue for the club......I have no idea if this has been achieved or not.

I don't consider myself to be either a older or younger fan, I certainly think the rebrand is more appealing to the youth and maybe this should be the case.

I'm presuming the whole purpose of announcing it towards the end of 2020 (during the season still, which I thought was a little odd), was to have it all I place for the 150th season.

Not opposed to change at all, but I'd like to think we as a club have achieved something out of the rebrand otherwise it seems fruitless and has possibly just frustrated many who prefer our original crest.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I used to get a shirt every year. I haven't bought one since the comical badge change.

I can't see me buying another Wigan shirt with that badge. Awful.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:31 am I used to get a shirt every year. I haven't bought one since the comical badge change.

I can't see me buying another Wigan shirt with that badge. Awful.
I buy the shirts & other stuff from the shop, but I’m not overly keen on the new badge. I would also like to know which set of fans were selected on the ‘vote’ to change it?

I know that the way they selected fans to be on the committee on how to celebrate the 150 years was done by people applying on all the social media platforms the club uses & being drawn out live on social media by Lockers, but just don’t know what input they actually gave because some people I know who were selected, (I didn’t even know about it cos I don’t use SM on a regular basis), don’t say anything when put on the spot for their opinion let alone give ideas on what should be done! They just like to say they were part of the ‘team’!

So it’s down to all the ‘young ‘uns’ & there are quite a lot, that now do most things to do with social media & keeping fans “Up to Date”! That’s why the Official Site is so poorly run!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

McDonalds are running an advert currently which shows all of their logo changes through the years to stay modern.

Bet they changed theirs due to stupid management[emoji1745]

Businesses that stand still will fail in this tech day and age. Woolworths being an example of being crushed by the likes of Amazon.

You either support the club or you don’t, a badge/logo is neither here nor there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

WTF has McDonalds got to do with it?

Who "supports" McDonalads? You might like their rubber burgers but I doubt anyone gives two hoots what their logo is.

Even so I bet when they changed those logos they weren't stupid enough to do it just before some milestone of their existence

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk