Jai Field ready to make up for lost time for Wigan Warriors next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jai Field ready to make up for lost time for Wigan Warriors next season

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan’s medical team saw more of Jai Field in his debut Super League campaign than the Warriors fans.

But the former Paramatta Eels half back aims to change that relationship in 2022.

Field made just four appearances in 2021; a hamstring injury sustained in the opening game of the season against Leigh confining him largely to a spectating and cheerleading role.

Now the 24-year-old playmaker is on the mend, keen to make up lost time in the final year of his current contract.

Despite his injury woes, however, Field insists: “Overall my time here so far has been good. The club has been great and they have aided my rehab well.

I had those injuries so I’m trying to do strengthening on my hamstring, to keep things ticking over and not let my body go too much.

I want to start the year strong and hit the ground running.”

Field came from the NRL with a reputation for lightning quick feet and tricky ball skills.

Those attributes were badly missed as Warriors struggled to post points in key games.

It was disappointing the way we went out of the competition this year,” he agreed. “I think everyone here didn’t expect it.”

Warriors aim to mark their 150th anniversary next season in style and with a return of silverware to the DW Stadium.

There is a lot of talk about the 150 years,” confirmed Field. “It’s a great year to be at the club and great timing for me to be able to be here as we celebrate it.

I’m looking forward to that, it’s going to be a big year.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-3436927
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Jai Field ready to make up for lost time for Wigan Warriors next season

Post by Firestarter »

Lets hope this lad sets super league onfire this season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

So that confirms French is one of the halves next years, referred to as half back and play maker.

So.either Tommy playing back up or Smith is back up
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:37 pm So that confirms French is one of the halves next years, referred to as half back and play maker.

It’s not news that Field can play halfback.

IL also mentioned their plans with him at the forum.

This article does not mean he’s a guaranteed starter. How have you assumed that?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:39 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:37 pm So that confirms French is one of the halves next years, referred to as half back and play maker.

This article does not mean he’s a guaranteed starter. How have you assumed that?
Because that's why he was signed :shock:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Would be great to see Tommy at hooker IMO. However we would be short of experience in the halves with Smith and Field as starters. We'll see what the new brains trust come up with. I'd say that if Wane has a big say, we'll see Tommy in there for sure, but its more unknown what will happen if Peet and Briers are the main factor. We'll have to wait and see.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Where ever Tommy plays he will start.
He's captain and his main attribute is defence.
Don't think he'll play the 80 or anywhere near but his defence will bolster the team by starting.

Don't care where we play Field as his pace can kill teams at any time in the game.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:32 pm Where ever Tommy plays he will start.
He's captain and his main attribute is defence.
Don't think he'll play the 80 or anywhere near but his defence will bolster the team by starting.

Don't care where we play Field as his pace can kill teams at any time in the game.
That is a very depressing take on it.

We cannot score tries and need a creative spine to do so. In his 20 year career, Leuluai has never developed into a creative half. He will not do so now.

As for Field, he has had a career in which no club has ever relied upon him. He may have had some speed, but he himself admits that he is having to work on repairing the muscles which generate that speed. There is precisely no evidence at all that at his best he can “destroy” anyone, and that he will be able to get back to his best.

If our Plan A for 2022 is a spine of ? At 1 (a ?, given that we have already publicly admitted we have no power to get French fit), Field and Leuluai in the halves and Powell at 9, we will look back at 2021 as a glorious year of entertainment as we go months without scoring.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I would presume Field will play stand off and I'd like to see, consistently, how he works it (whether it be Smith or Leuluai at scrum half).

Can't see why anyone would want French at 6? Zak doesn't offer the same attacking flair as French at 1 (presuming Zak is staying) and French would bring sheer pace to 6 and very little else! The argument of Zak has better defence than Bevan doesn't justify a positional change at FB for me!

I really think we need a clear plan of who is 6 and 7 to build creativity next season (injuries permitting).