Out of contract - 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3123
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Out of contract - 2023

Post by nathan_rugby »

There is lots of talk on the forums about the 2023 squad being one where we seek to make some major improvements.

Has anything official come from the club on this? I personally cannot recall…

Who is out of contract for next year and will need replacing?

French
Field
Hardaker (unless we exercise a 1 year extension)
Tommy
Isa

Given that we are up to the cap this year apart from about £150k / marquee spot, having a better squad next year and one that can challenge us going to be reliant on the incomings being significantly better than the outgoings.
Last edited by nathan_rugby on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO
Posts: 15129
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by DaveO »

Can't you add Tommy and Isa to that list at least? I am of course assuming the club won't give them another year after 2022 but if they want to do stuff like upgrade KPP's contract never mind sign players they need the cap space.
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3123
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:39 am Can't you add Tommy and Isa to that list at least? I am of course the club won't give them another year after 2022 but if they want to do stuff like upgrade KPP's contract never mind sign players they need the cap space.
Just added them both now.

I don't anticipate Isa will be directly replaced due to the number of players who have at second row and the contract upgrades that will likely occur for KPP, McDonough, maybe even Shorrocks unless he has had his.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem
Posts: 4629
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by fozzieskem »

Surely Tommy can’t go again after this season 2022?
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3123
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:26 pm Surely Tommy can’t go again after this season 2022?
No, that’s why he’s on the list of leaving ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem
Posts: 4629
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:57 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:26 pm Surely Tommy can’t go again after this season 2022?
No, that’s why he’s on the list of leaving ?
I genuinely thought we had seen the last of him after that awful injury but here we are and it wouldn’t surprise me if he went again in ‘23
nathan_rugby
Posts: 3123
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:15 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:57 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:26 pm Surely Tommy can’t go again after this season 2022?
No, that’s why he’s on the list of leaving ?
I genuinely thought we had seen the last of him after that awful injury but here we are and it wouldn’t surprise me if he went again in ‘23
It is possible, didn't Rads say that legends decide when they retire, not the club?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO
Posts: 15129
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:03 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:15 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:57 pm

No, that’s why he’s on the list of leaving ?
I genuinely thought we had seen the last of him after that awful injury but here we are and it wouldn’t surprise me if he went again in ‘23
It is possible, didn't Rads say that legends decide when they retire, not the club?
Yes he did. He doesn't half come out with some stupid statements at times but I think that one takes the biscuit.
fozzieskem
Posts: 4629
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:03 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:15 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:57 pm

No, that’s why he’s on the list of leaving ?
I genuinely thought we had seen the last of him after that awful injury but here we are and it wouldn’t surprise me if he went again in ‘23
It is possible, didn't Rads say that legends decide when they retire, not the club?
Word for word Nathan it wouldn’t in the least surprise me if Tommy didn’t go again in 23…
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Leuluai is still our best hooker, unless O’Neill comes good.
If French doesn’t come back for a while, we have a championship standard spine, and so I wouldn’t entirely rule out relegation next year. In which case our recruitment for 2023 will look very different.
Post Reply