Out of contract - 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:18 am There is lots of talk on the forums about the 2023 squad being one where we seek to make some major improvements.

Has anything official come from the club on this? I personally cannot recall…

Who is out of contract for next year and will need replacing?

French
Field
Hardaker (unless we exercise a 1 year extension)
Tommy
Isa

Given that we are up to the cap this year apart from about £150k / marquee spot, having a better squad next year and one that can challenge us going to be reliant on the incomings being significantly better than the outgoings.

I covered this on a post a few months ago, Cant remember which one, but the plan for 2022 was to be competitive but not at a loss. Then go big in 2023. It had always been the plan since covid. Im convinced 2023 is when we will see Mr Danson involved in the Warriors.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I covered this on a post a few months ago, Cant remember which one, but the plan for 2022 was to be competitive but not at a loss. Then go big in 2023. It had always been the plan since covid. Im convinced 2023 is when we will see Mr Danson involved in the Warriors.
[/quote]

Thanks, Dan, always good to get your insights. If the club could let us know when they intend to take the game seriously again, we can all put our feet up until then.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:57 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:18 am There is lots of talk on the forums about the 2023 squad being one where we seek to make some major improvements.

French
Field
Tommy
Isa

Given that we are up to the cap this year apart from about £150k / marquee spot, having a better squad next year and one that can challenge us going to be reliant on the incomings being significantly better than the outgoings.

you cant do that unless the poor players signed and resigned are on 1 year contracts
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:21 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:57 pm

French
Field
Tommy
Isa

you cant do that unless the poor players signed and resigned are on 1 year contracts
Well you can, and plenty of clubs do. Players under contract leave or move clubs all the time.

all it takes is an agreement between both parties.

Im sure Wane and co know what they are doing more than you do, don’t worry.
pedro

Post by pedro »

with the signings over the last couple of years I doubt maybe they do....If they dont want to move on, they dont move on, simple, Thornley is on good money, why would he move away for less when he can just sit there until retirement? No-one else will pay him what we have...
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 am with the signings over the last couple of years I doubt maybe they do....If they dont want to move on, they dont move on, simple, Thornley is on good money, why would he move away for less when he can just sit there until retirement? No-one else will pay him what we have...
You know what we are paying Thornley before he's announced?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 am
pedro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 am with the signings over the last couple of years I doubt maybe they do....If they dont want to move on, they dont move on, simple, Thornley is on good money, why would he move away for less when he can just sit there until retirement? No-one else will pay him what we have...
yes, you dont? hes been announced at the fans forum also, knew hed signed months before the announcement also
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:51 am
yes, you dont? hes been announced at the fans forum also, knew hed signed months before the announcement also
No I wasn't aware they decided to start publishing players wages.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 am

They haven't, he's not on a lot of money put it that way. Round about half what Gildart was on.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:47 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 am

They haven't, he's not on a lot of money put it that way. Round about half what Gildart was on.
hes on a good wage, if thats the case Gildart was waaaaaaaay over paid, marquee money virtually