Out of contract - 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by Caboosegg »

I will stand by my opinion that Hastings is not going to be a big as a loss some think, I formed this opinion from watching him and the options he took.

I would like to start with he is no doubt an amazing player and he deserves the praise he gets.

However he tried to do to much to the point he stopped other players getting involved, he obviously didn't trust others to do what was needed and I believe this added to our poor attack aka Hastings over played alot. (Like a footballer showing off their skills to much and then losing the ball)

I think although we a weaker in the halves without him I do think attack wise we will be better IF we play together and don't expect it all to come from one player.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:33 pm I will stand by my opinion that Hastings is not going to be a big as a loss some think, I formed this opinion from watching him and the options he took.

I would like to start with he is no doubt an amazing player and he deserves the praise he gets.

However he tried to do to much to the point he stopped over players getting involved, he obviously didn't trust others to do what was needed and I believe this added to our poor attack aka Hastings over played alot. (Like a footballer showing off their skills to much and then losing the ball)

I think although we a weaker in the halves without him I do think attack wise we will be better IF we play together and don't expect it all to come from one player.
Still waiting to see the amazing player he was supposed to be, another Danny Orr I'm afraid, big fish little pond (Salford)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:I will stand by my opinion that Hastings is not going to be a big as a loss some think, I formed this opinion from watching him and the options he took.

However he tried to do to much to the point he stopped over players getting involved, he obviously didn't trust others to do what was needed and I believe this added to our poor attack aka Hastings over played alot. (Like a footballer showing off their skills to much and then losing the ball)

That requires the rest of the team (or rather those expected to be creative on attack) to be capable of doing what’s needed never mind if Cust, instead of Hastings, trusts them to do it. TL & Powell aren’t and we don’t even know who is playing 13. I think it wasn’t that Hastings didn’t trust others to do what was required, they just couldn’t and nothing was happening as a result.

This is a big reason why we need French back and fit to give us at least one player who can do something besides Cust.

The are two things that might improve matters over last season if French is absent. One, the pack might not be bullied as often and Two, Peet might not play Cust at full back and several other players out of position. I think half the time last season the team didn’t know what it was as doing and hopefully Peet will keep it simple and play reserve/younger players when there are injuries rather than sticking Cust at full back or similar.