Out of contract - 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was replying to a post suggesting that we would coast along in 2022, and then go big the following year. I also posted this before the Cust signing, at which point we were being publicly linked with Jacob Miller. Plus, we had just had the French staying in Sydney and can’t train anyway announcement.

Since then we have signed a player whose pedigree and style of play looks promising (he’s not Renouf, but he’s not Hamlin either) and others closer to the club seem to think that French will get fit over there and come back to the club fit and ready to play, so maybe 2022 won’t be as bad as all that.

What do I expect? I expect the club to do everything within its power and budget to put out a competitive and entertaining side. I will follow them regardless, but it would be fantastic to be entertained. Optimism in the off season is fine, but the reality is that we had the worst attack in SL last year, and have lost better players than we have brought in, unless the reserve NRL forwards turn out to be very good and Cust turns out to be better than Hastings. With recruitment like that our performances will be defined by the level of talent not “buying into the culture of the club”. If the club isn’t very very worried indeed about how last year went then they haven’t been paying attention.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The worry is that Cust will be required to 'do everything' like Hastings did, which would be unfair on him, and unsatisfactory anyway. But I trust that Peet and Wane will have a better handle on things coaching-wise to make sure we are set up better than that.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:03 am The worry is that Cust will be required to 'do everything' like Hastings did, which would be unfair on him, and unsatisfactory anyway. But I trust that Peet and Wane will have a better handle on things coaching-wise to make sure we are set up better than that.
I have said the same thing. That's why it's important French gets back and is fit when he does. If not, where is the other attacking threat?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would like to think so, but they can only pick from the players available. We know Leuluai and Powell can’t create. I have no idea who we intend to play at 13, but there is nobody in the squad who has a track record in creating chances. Field is a runner, and one with dodgy hamstrings so good luck with that. Smith can be a creative player, but looks like he will carry an injury into the new season. I have considerable doubts that French will come back fit.

So, we start the season, potentially, with a spine of Hanley - Field/Leuluai - Cust - Partington - Powell. I suggested in a thread a while ago that something similar would be the weakest spine we had had in 150 years - and some pointed out we have some poor sides in the 1910s who might have been worse. Honestly, while Cust is a step in the right direction, unless we uncover or sign a creative 9 or 13, we will be nearly as ugly to watch as we were last year. And if Cust takes time to settle, then we could even be less creative.

The wave of optimism seems to be based on Peet getting more out of a potentially worse squad than Lam did because he did well with the juniors, and that Cust will instantly be as good as Hastings. When I buy our season tickets next week, I will do so with zero optimism that that will be a recipe for an enjoyable year. The best I can see is that we avoid relegation on the basis of being “hard to beat”.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have just been looking at the TotalRL website, and they have a review of our season...

They list 5 key points: Lam was out of his depth (agreed); they point out how dreadful we were - again, and still almost impossible to believe mentioning we had the WORST attack in the league last year; French’s loss hurt us badly - he is still in Oz and hasn’t been able to train, so we are I assume simply lighting a candle for that to work out at this point; Hastings was our one creative force, so Cust better be brilliant from day 1; and we had no goal kicker, not that that seems to bother us even now.

Bear in mind that there is no Leigh to act as automatic last place next year, and it makes very grim reading.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:19 pm I have just been looking at the TotalRL website, and they have a review of our season...

They list 5 key points: Lam was out of his depth (agreed); they point out how dreadful we were - again, and still almost impossible to believe mentioning we had the WORST attack in the league last year; French’s loss hurt us badly - he is still in Oz and hasn’t been able to train, so we are I assume simply lighting a candle for that to work out at this point; Hastings was our one creative force, so Cust better be brilliant from day 1; and we had no goal kicker, not that that seems to bother us even now.

Bear in mind that there is no Leigh to act as automatic last place next year, and it makes very grim reading.
Don’t be so pessimistic, top four no problem.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:26 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:19 pm I have just been looking at the TotalRL website, and they have a review of our season...

Joe Shorrocks is a potential 13 IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:36 pm

I agree with that Josie. Looked accomplished at 13 and given a sustained run there rather than chopping and changing into hooker every few weeks could be our long term answer at loose forward (injuries permitting)
Back by demand.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:04 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:36 pm

I agree with that Josie. Looked accomplished at 13 and given a sustained run there rather than chopping and changing into hooker every few weeks could be our long term answer at loose forward (injuries permitting)
Asked Lockers to take him ‘under his wing’ earlier this year as I could see in Joe a potential replacement for him.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Yes Shorrocks looked fairly comfortable at loose,we shall see how he goes