Jarrod Sammut opens up on Wigan Warriors exit

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Jarrod Sammut opens up on Wigan Warriors exit

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:41 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:02 pm Maybe we can employ him as an ambassador to let players know we are actually a club you should feel privileged to play for. It’s felt like we’re a club players are desperate to get away from for far too long now, when they should be falling over themselves to play for us. It’s the environment we’ve created IMO by keep trotting out the line that we feel flattered when Union or the NRL come in for our players.

I read Rob Burrows book last week and listening to him speak about how all the Leeds players turned down more money elsewhere to remain loyal to Leeds and to continue being successful made me think about how plenty of lads haven’t done that here in this last 5+ years. Who is to blame for that I’m not sure but we’ve certainly not created an environment players are nervous of leaving.
Excellent post one I agree with 100% trouble is we live in the “me me” society now and it seems in some,not all players cases they do just enough to get that potential big money move away from Wigan.

For me,and I don’t care who it is you leave Wigan once and only ever once as to me this is the biggest club in the world and it should be a privilege to ply for,the childish argument of “you don’t want to see player x in another teams shirt”cuts no Ice with me because once you move on your yesterdays man the club and club only is the constant thing.
Completely agree with you Fozzie 😊 Feka Paleaasina said moreorless the same thing after he left Wigan “there is no bigger club”!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:02 pm Maybe we can employ him as an ambassador to let players know we are actually a club you should feel privileged to play for. It’s felt like we’re a club players are desperate to get away from for far too long now, when they should be falling over themselves to play for us. It’s the environment we’ve created IMO by keep trotting out the line that we feel flattered when Union or the NRL come in for our players.

I read Rob Burrows book last week and listening to him speak about how all the Leeds players turned down more money elsewhere to remain loyal to Leeds and to continue being successful made me think about how plenty of lads haven’t done that here in this last 5+ years. Who is to blame for that I’m not sure but we’ve certainly not created an environment players are nervous of leaving.
Excellent post one I agree with 100% trouble is we live in the “me me” society now and it seems in some,not all players cases they do just enough to get that potential big money move away from Wigan.

For me,and I don’t care who it is you leave Wigan once and only ever once as to me this is the biggest club in the world and it should be a privilege to ply for,the childish argument of “you don’t want to see player x in another teams shirt”cuts no Ice with me because once you move on your yesterdays man the club and club only is the constant thing.
Can’t blame players for going for the money. RL in the U.K. just doesn’t pay enough. That said Wigan make it far too easy to leave and now it seems to me the good players use the club as a stepping stone to better money. Worse that’s their plan when they sign the contract. They are already thinking of which NRL club they will sign for.

Agree completely with the not resigning ex players. It makes it even more likely they will leave. It’s risk free. If they don’t make it or don’t like it they have a job back here despite having left weaker by leaving.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

It depends on the circumstances with me, and i think id be hypocritical when my line on Powell is that despite his loyalty he isnt good enough for Wigan, to then use "loyalty" as a reason not to resign someone who is talented.

For me its simple - if the player improves the team in the position that they are coming into then i don't care if they have been here before or not. I just want the best team Wigan can assemble the days of 1 club players is on its way out and i dont really mind that - these lads destroy their bodies for our entertainment so good on them as long as they keep to their contracts and give 100% when they are here then its all good for me

I think the issue is with wigan is they often sign ex players regardless of their form/injury status, which is fine if you are willing to see that for what it is and its long term but not when you do a tomkins get them right then ship them out
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:52 pm He started slowly but started to become a very useful player. Didn't he get injured at Cas and then didn't play again? I'm sure I remember that as the game our backs were great but we were battered up front and lost the game after sammut and greenwood went off injured. I could be wrong.

Also it was refreshing to read him praise the club. I came into this thread expecting negativity so it's actually nice to read a player who it didn't really work out for have something nice to say about the club
Likewise. I'l always remember that try he scored wIth The World's Most Outrageous Dummy!