Jarrod Sammut opens up on Wigan Warriors exit

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jarrod Sammut opens up on Wigan Warriors exit

Post by josie andrews »

It was a transfer that came out of left field, but Maltese international Jarrod Sammut made the move to the Wigan Warriors ahead of the 2019 Super League season.

Playmaker and general, Sammut first arrived on UK shores back in 2010 to join the Crusaders RL where he quickly earned a reputation for a superbly talented individual.

Moves to Bradford Bulls, Wakefield Trinity and London Broncos followed before he was picked up by Adrian Lam at Wigan at the end of 2018.

He played 14 times in two seasons, scoring two tries but left to join the Leigh Centurions shortly after.

And, now Sammut has revealed just what it was like to play for the Warriors.

“I absolutely loved my time at Wigan,” Sammut told Serious About Rugby League.

The Cherry and Whites are imbedded with a rich culture that thrives after success. As players the club leaves no stone unturned in order to give you the best possible chance to remain at your peak and continue to push forward.

I would have loved to have had more game time and help play a role in creating more history for such a great club.”

Sammut also revealed that he would have liked to still be at the DW Stadium.

“I would love to still be at the club but as rugby league goes, seasons end and players move on. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to wear the famous Cherry and White

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/jarrod-s ... xit-45109/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Shevvylad

Re: Jarrod Sammut opens up on Wigan Warriors exit

Post by Shevvylad »

One of the few I would actually have back....
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

He started slowly but started to become a very useful player. Didn't he get injured at Cas and then didn't play again? I'm sure I remember that as the game our backs were great but we were battered up front and lost the game after sammut and greenwood went off injured. I could be wrong.

Also it was refreshing to read him praise the club. I came into this thread expecting negativity so it's actually nice to read a player who it didn't really work out for have something nice to say about the club
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Maybe we can employ him as an ambassador to let players know we are actually a club you should feel privileged to play for. It’s felt like we’re a club players are desperate to get away from for far too long now, when they should be falling over themselves to play for us. It’s the environment we’ve created IMO by keep trotting out the line that we feel flattered when Union or the NRL come in for our players.

I read Rob Burrows book last week and listening to him speak about how all the Leeds players turned down more money elsewhere to remain loyal to Leeds and to continue being successful made me think about how plenty of lads haven’t done that here in this last 5+ years. Who is to blame for that I’m not sure but we’ve certainly not created an environment players are nervous of leaving.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He still lives within walking distance of Robin Park. I remember him coming from the club, doing a presentation at St Jude’s then went training again at Total Fitness! He was really into keeping fit.
He also paid for his own flight one year to play for Malta RL. Dedicated player IMO
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

If memory serves correctly, I thought he had a lot of creative flair (which we needed in 2019), but didn't seem to get a fair crack of the whip and not based on his performances.

I'd never subscribe to any thought that Lam was a disaster as head coach, but at times, his selections completely baffled me.

Escare playing on the wing (the odd time he played under Lam), was a strange one!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:52 pm He started slowly but started to become a very useful player. Didn't he get injured at Cas and then didn't play again? I'm sure I remember that as the game our backs were great but we were battered up front and lost the game after sammut and greenwood went off injured. I could be wrong.

Also it was refreshing to read him praise the club. I came into this thread expecting negativity so it's actually nice to read a player who it didn't really work out for have something nice to say about the club
Torn to pieces by a sub called Clark as I recall. Don't know what happened to him as he faded from the game.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:56 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:52 pm He started slowly but started to become a very useful player. Didn't he get injured at Cas and then didn't play again? I'm sure I remember that as the game our backs were great but we were battered up front and lost the game after sammut and greenwood went off injured. I could be wrong.

Torn to pieces by a sub called Clark as I recall. Don't know what happened to him as he faded from the game.
He went back to London.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

NICKYKISS wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:02 pm Maybe we can employ him as an ambassador to let players know we are actually a club you should feel privileged to play for. It’s felt like we’re a club players are desperate to get away from for far too long now, when they should be falling over themselves to play for us. It’s the environment we’ve created IMO by keep trotting out the line that we feel flattered when Union or the NRL come in for our players.

I read Rob Burrows book last week and listening to him speak about how all the Leeds players turned down more money elsewhere to remain loyal to Leeds and to continue being successful made me think about how plenty of lads haven’t done that here in this last 5+ years. Who is to blame for that I’m not sure but we’ve certainly not created an environment players are nervous of leaving.
Excellent post one I agree with 100% trouble is we live in the “me me” society now and it seems in some,not all players cases they do just enough to get that potential big money move away from Wigan.

For me,and I don’t care who it is you leave Wigan once and only ever once as to me this is the biggest club in the world and it should be a privilege to ply for,the childish argument of “you don’t want to see player x in another teams shirt”cuts no Ice with me because once you move on your yesterdays man the club and club only is the constant thing.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

If only the club thought the same way foz. Ido Arche K