hankinson gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: hankinson gone

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:53 am
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:48 am When he played in the first team he offered nothing outside his kicking in my opinion, the very few times he broke through the line he had no pace and was brought down quickly.

But if he's got another SL gig then we shall see how good his was and how bad of mistake wigan made etc etc
He only played a couple of games before a serious eye injury. Then he never got selected to prove whether he was good enough!
23 games for Wigan according to the articles. Surely that's enough to show something to put him in contention.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:48 am When he played in the first team he offered nothing outside his kicking in my opinion, the very few times he broke through the line he had no pace and was brought down quickly.

But if he's got another SL gig then we shall see how good his was and how bad of mistake wigan made etc etc
He only played a couple of games before a serious eye injury. Then he never got selected to prove whether he was good enough!
I think,in my opinion is what did it for him,he looked full of promise until that injury he simply didn’t look anything like the form in that first game or so.

I’ll say again he was never going to come back and play for Wigan again after going to London,with no recall he was a dead man walking as far as Wigan was concerned and letting him go is the right thing for him and the club,for my money he wasn’t the answer frankly neither was Clark in fairness.

I will however say this,I look at Joe Bretherton and the way he’s come on in France I doubt it’d have happened here,apart from his growing rugby prowess he looks like a chuffing rock star,oh to have that head of hair,so if Hankinson is the great talent his supporters would have you believe I think it’ll flourish in France.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:41 am

23 games for Wigan according to the articles. Surely that's enough to show something to put him in contention.
How many minutes in all those games did he play in his favoured position
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Exactly my thoughts.
Good luck to him at Toulouse I hope he does well.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Surely any anger should be directed at Lam? I didn’t see anything to suggest he was going to be a great player, but I did think he looked decent, and there were times when having a centre playing centre would have helped us over the last couple of years.

I know he wasn’t expected to return, but it’s another one gone. If we struggle with injuries, we will be in the relegation fight with the squad we have left.
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:52 am
Big stick wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:08 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:43 am Good Luck at Toulouse Chris, the club, manager or whatever ruined your chances at Wigan

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... dium=email
How?
Isn’t it obvious? Same with Clark never gave either of them game time to try & prove if they were good enough!
It’s not obvious at all, you don’t give player game time if they aren’t performing or that’s your job on the line. Lam was a shocking coach but I believe teams were always picked to win. I didn’t really see why Clark was not getting game time. There is a lot we are not privy to with training.

Hank is no better than a championship centre.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am

I think,in my opinion is what did it for him,he looked full of promise until that injury he simply didn’t look anything like the form in that first game or so.

I’ll say again he was never going to come back and play for Wigan again after going to London,with no recall he was a dead man walking as far as Wigan was concerned and letting him go is the right thing for him and the club,for my money he wasn’t the answer frankly neither was Clark in fairness.

I will however say this,I look at Joe Bretherton and the way he’s come on in France I doubt it’d have happened here,apart from his growing rugby prowess he looks like a chuffing rock star,oh to have that head of hair,so if Hankinson is the great talent his supporters would have you believe I think it’ll flourish in France.
I hope he does flourish in France, Foz. In his early days, I thought Hanks looked ok defensively, a good goalkicker, but lacking pace on attack.

As to Bretherton, the first time I saw him was in an academy GF, around 2014 at a guess. We conceded home advantage as the DW wasn't available.

IIRC, Joe came on at half-time and ripped Leeds apart. The same match convinced me that George Williams was a better prospect than golden boy Rocky (tho Hampshire was at full back).

I guessed that Bretherton was "let go" either for something like attitude/training reasons or because we had others coming through who were considered better? I'm sure someone can enlighten me.

Maybe Toulouse will sign Hampshire too? I see he's left Wakey - again :P
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:28 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am

I hope he does flourish in France, Foz. In his early days, I thought Hanks looked ok defensively, a good goalkicker, but lacking pace on attack.

As to Bretherton, the first time I saw him was in an academy GF, around 2014 at a guess. We conceded home advantage as the DW wasn't available.

IIRC, Joe came on at half-time and ripped Leeds apart. The same match convinced me that George Williams was a better prospect than golden boy Rocky (tho Hampshire was at full back).

I guessed that Bretherton was "let go" either for something like attitude/training reasons or because we had others coming through who were considered better? I'm sure someone can enlighten me.

Maybe Toulouse will sign Hampshire too? I see he's left Wakey - again :P
I think you have hit the nail on the head there Morley, his lack of pace was a crucial factor. Good luck to him though.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Morley, his lack of pace was a crucial factor. Good luck to him though.
[/quote]

Is Thornley going to be any faster at his age, I would rather of kept Hankinson, whilst he didnt set the team alight I think he showed enough in the chances he got that he could have gone on to be a decent centre if we had taken the time to develop his game, he never really got a run of games to really bed into the team
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

i think while they are getting rid of players they should have a good look at the starting 13 that keep getting picked ,and have a proper clearout